Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dani

Death And Dying

Many pictures and videos have been circlingthese days showing devastation in Tibet...some of them showing many bodies, naked,piled up...my friend’s remark was ‘how humiliating, reminds me of holocaust...’

In such situations, also accidents andsimilar, when bodies cannot be ‘left’ in peace, what would be the best courseof action, what would most benefit the consciounesses that have not yet gone to next rebirth (on the spot, maybe using the ex. of Tibet, and besides prayers)?

Many pictures and videos have been circlingthese days showing devastation in Tibet...some of them showing many bodies, naked,piled up...my friend’s remark was ‘how humiliating, reminds me of holocaust...’

In such situations, also accidents andsimilar, when bodies cannot be ‘left’ in peace, what would be the best courseof action, what would most benefit the consciounesses that have not yet gone to next rebirth (on the spot, maybe using the ex. of Tibet, and besides prayers)?

The sense of humiliation is connected with our sense of ego and education. Tibetans have a different relation to the body than we do.

In such case as the earthquake, there was no structure to 'store' the bodies, and no way to deal with them in any other way then how it was done. And since we are here with poor people, who furthermore have lost nearly everything in this earthquake, they even removed the clothes so that the living survivors can at least be warm (it's still snowing at this period of year, there).

On usual people, the consciousness is living the body within 20/30mn, and quite rare are those who would meditate before to enter the bardo. So, it's not really a problem to dispose of the corpse soon as death... again, especially in such case, where corpse would rotten, causing smell and sickness for the living.

While burning the bodies, all people around where reciting mantras and prayers, ceremonies were performed in monasteries. This is whole what can really be done.