Dharmaling Forums
Goodie

Smallest Moment Of Consciousness

Usually it is said that there are 65 moments of consciousness in a finger snap, but some texts also say differently, for example that there are about 100 moments or even more, about 300. Why is that so?

Also, does it mean that this is the shortest moment of consciousness or can it be divided even further?

I think from Sautrantika point of view these moments cannot be devided. The same for matter - there are a smallest particles which cannot be devided

Right, this is true for Sautrantika following Scripture, but Sautrantika following Reasoning do not assert so.

I'm not sure if this is also for Sautrantika following Reasoning, but higher schools say that each moment can be divided because it has three parts: beginning, middle and an end. I'm not sure though if this is meant conceptually divided or not.

Yes, higher schools do not accept the idea of the individed particles. I think it is because individed particles can be only in a situation when they have its self-nature(inherent existence)... 

Hello!

Does this imply that samsara is impermanent with the speed of impermanence of 65 moments per finger snap? (mpf - this could be a new unit  B) )

But then it realy depends how long is the finger snap... And then we are speaking of time. And since the time is an interval between cause and effect, and it does not exist inherently, it is dependent on the observer, the speed of impermanence then also varies from being to being. Which means that the smallest unit (1/64 mps) is not a constant which would exist in the same way for everybody, but it is conditioned by the level of Awareness. So until we develop our Awareness to its highest potential we can't observe this process of one moment giving rise to another moment, since our perception is not mature enough to see it. And every moment in this state is kind of infinite. 

But it somehow implies, that even this process exists only conventionally, since it is created by the mind which observes it.