Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Simona

Shine

Tashi Delek.

I am so sorry, but I forgot to ask during the Shine retreat about how many times per day one should perform meditation, in which being focused on the chosen object in order to maintain some continuum of Shine meditative stream, if I can use such an expression? Cause, to be honest, I doubt if I could manage perform this meditation more than once per day due to so many activities and engagements that I have.

Best regards,

Simona

It depends of your time.

When you are in retreat, then you can have four/six sessions a day without problem. In daily life, of course, you have to adapt to your time.

Thank you.

Tashi Delek,

...  :hello: if I quote Gigu from Dharma events section...."Short, but nice. Rinpoche said it is an "introduction", and surely a longer retreat would follow."

Is it known already for when it is planned? Thank you.

Pamo

Tashi Delek  :hello:

and surely a longer retreat would follow
Until then, there will be a chance to get more familiar with Shine and I can say that I found out that having a picture of an object in real presented in front of me, it is an obstacle, cause then I am opening my eyes and watching the picture instead of putting more effort to recall the picture of the object in my mind.

Best regards,

Simona

I can say that I found out that having a picture of an object in real presented in front of me, it is an obstacle, cause then I am opening my eyes and watching the picture

It hasn't been said that you have to open your eye to look at it during the meditation!

You look at it before the meditation, and for as long as you are not familiar with it. You focus on the image in your mind during the meditation.

Thank you.

Tashi Delek, Gigu.

Yes. But my mind is very tricky and lazy (why to bother, if there is a chance to just watch the picture with opened eyes and no effort at all...).

That`s why I put the picture in the drawer.

Best regards,

Simona

Tashi Delek,

It hasn't been said that you have to open your eye to look at it during the meditation!

You look at it before the meditation, and for as long as you are not familiar with it. You focus on the image in your mind during the meditation.

I understood that it is also okay if you open your eyes during the meditation if your mind gets so disturbed that there is nothing more but complete chaos in your mind. so looking at the picture once again helps you to focus your mind. but this goes only for beginners I guess (and even this should be an exception), and as You said, for as long as you are not familiar with the picture. of course one should first try to put more effort into seeing the mental picture than just using the shortcuts.

all the best.

Tashi Delek,

another question regarding to shine meditation. Don't know why, but I find it easier to visualise image of His Holiness or image of my root guru (maybe because there are photos of them). It is said that, if we visualise Budha, we can develop his qualities, so is it the same with other images?

:bow:

All the best,

Lj.

As far as i know, your Lama is the representative of all the Buddhas, his mind is of the same nature and the same taste as the fully enlightened minds of all the Buddhas. We indeed can take a picture of our Lama or His Holiness as the object of our Shine practice.

As we can find in Calling Lama From Afar by Pabongka Rinpoche:

The ordinary form of all buddhas arises in the aspect of the lama, therefore no buddhas are observed apart from the kind lama himself.
If i am wrong i kindly ask Moderation to correct me.

Best regards,

Khyenrab

Guest 3ndr3

Tashi Delek,

I wonder can one reach Shine doing just walking meditation? I mean walking is very similar to mantra recitation, because in both cases one has to maintain some kind of continuity. And regarding the walking meditation: Is it better to just watch the steps or it is better mindfully doing them?

Best regards,

3ndr3

Tashi Delek, 3ndr3.

And regarding the walking meditation: Is it better to just watch the steps or it is better mindfully doing them?
I find the walking meditation a little too demanding for my monkey mind. Cause, during the walking meditation my body is moving and also the screen in front of my eyes is changing...Might I find the main obstacle that during the walking meditation the eyes have to be open, yet on the other hand it is also true that one has to watch the chosen object with the mind and not with the eyes.

Best regards,

Simona

Tashi Delek,

I find the walking meditation a little too demanding for my monkey mind.

I find this diversity in a kind of general sameness of us human beings quite amazing. My monkey mind, for instance, is many times more difficult to bare with in a sitting meditation...but somehow, I also have this thinking that walking meditation can not lead one to fully develope Shine. Is it so, I also wonder. In general, practicess, which are more "active-like" are not so many, or I have not come accross them, and not so much spoken about or given importance to. Is it really so, if yes why, or is that just my perception of it? Thank you. Best regards. Pamo.

I find walking meditation very "refreshing". For me it is much easier to focus on what I'm doing, like paying all my attention to walking or doing the dishes. As Rinpoche said, it is stress that makes us tired and when I focus my mind so that it doesn't wander around, I immediately feel almost physical relief...

I can't really say which is better - mindfully walking or observing that I'm walking. I know what you mean, but the difference can be very subtle. Although mindfully walking might mean greater absorption than observing.

I find walking meditation very "refreshing". For me it is much easier to focus on what I'm doing, like paying all my attention to walking or doing the dishes. As Rinpoche said, it is stress that makes us tired and when I focus my mind so that it doesn't wander around, I immediately feel almost physical relief...

I can't really say which is better - mindfully walking or observing that I'm walking. I know what you mean, but the difference can be very subtle. Although mindfully walking might mean greater absorption than observing.

What is the essence of the walking meditation? How does it go? I noticed that, after certain time of walking, when the body is already well warmed up, I just need to walk in the equal pace and the "legs go by themselves". When I reach that kind of a state, I feel very relieved and full of energy, as if cleansed. I presuppose that it is only in that condition that walking meditation begins.

What about running?

All the best,

kuenzang.

Hello,

I believe that walking meditation is a practice mostly performed by Theravadins, as they alternate between sitting and walking meditation. The goal is to put a leash on one's mind, by having it note, when walking, each steps that the body takes (step left, step right, etc.). Also have it note each phenomena it perceives and which distract it from the steps (sound of laughter, birds chirpping, fresh breeze, thoughts, feelings, etc.) and then let it go off of it and redirect it to noting the steps. This should lead, if performed seriously, to an increased power of concentration of the mind in the present instant, so that it shall then realize the lack of existence of an "I" in the body, emptiness. This leads to the very destruction of the root which binds us to samsara, Vipassana.

If you run, you might have difficulties or it might even be completely impossible to mentally note everything that is perceived by consciousness and/or just stick with the footsteps... But you can try...

Hello,

If you run, you might have difficulties or it might even be completely impossible to mentally note everything that is perceived by consciousness and/or just stick with the footsteps...

Do you think we really need to mentally note every little detail, for maybe we do note the whole picture in a way? I don't know how this is...

My experience is that my mind also calmed during running, even though the rhythm is different to walking, if I tried to became one with running..maybe it is just about concentration, which allows the mind to stay put together  :laugh:, not "spread" all over, but in fact therefore split to many many (just) pieces of perception..?

Best regards,

pamo

Hi Pamo,  ;)

Do you think we really need to mentally note every little detail, for maybe we do note the whole picture in a way? I don't know how this is...

My experience is that my mind also calmed during running, even though the rhythm is different to walking, if I tried to became one with running..maybe it is just about concentration, which allows the mind to stay put together  :laugh:, not "spread" all over, but in fact therefore split to many many (just) pieces of perception..?

Best regards,

pamo

My experience is that yes, we must note everything, or at least this is what I read in the teachings. Those that I read said that yogis seriously engaged into walking and sitting meditation, must almost behave like aged persons in a way, being really slow in every mouvement and actions performed, so as to not miss one thing and be able to note Everything. Even intentions must be noted. Like for example the intention to raise the arm and bring the food to the mouth, then the act of doing it, then the intention of opening the mouth, then doing it, the intention to stand up, doing it, etc, etc. Pretty tough stuff, quite unatural for samsaric beings like us!  :laugh:;) I guess this allows the mind not to get carried away in the whirlpool of sensations and feelings as it is so accustomed to, and creating the belief in a self. I read this is how serious yogis practice Satipatthana, day in and day out, until hopefully their mind realizes Vipassana.

Hello again  ;)

.. must almost behave like aged persons in a way, being really slow in every mouvement and actions performed...,

Uau...that's really interesting...I have to admit I experienced a big burst of tension when, in retreat with Venerable Lama Shenphen Rinpoche, we started to walk down the hill...soooo slow  :laugh:  ah, this speediness of the world that I have integrated just wished to make me start running  :))

Though, if things help for some time to make oneself being more in ease with oneself, it's good to do them. Don't you think? Also, if we talk about running (out of the concept of Shine  ;) ) , the monotonous rhythm one puts him/herself into with it, does bring some balance within the body...at least for me...maybe purely for physical reasons, like better breathing and so on...

Best regards,

pamo

I have to admit this is first time I read about the walking meditation...but it reminded me of Kora...though Kora seemed to be more oriented towards accumulation of mertis rather than Shine'...would Kora qualify as a type of walking meditation? Could anyone explain a bit more about this practice?

Though, if things help for some time to make oneself being more in ease with oneself, it's good to do them. Don't you think? Also, if we talk about running (out of the concept of Shine  ;) ) , the monotonous rhythm one puts him/herself into with it, does bring some balance within the body...at least for me...maybe purely for physical reasons, like better breathing and so on...

To your first question: I would say that it really depends on what kind of "things" you're talking about! ;):[  As for running, I'm sure it does help us keep in good physical shape (although one might "shoot" his/her knees in the long run) but I have serious doubts in that it can bring oneself to the end of suffering... ://:laugh:

As for running, I'm sure it does help us keep in good physical shape (although one might "shoot" his/her knees in the long run) but I have serious doubts in that it can bring oneself to the end of suffering... ://:laugh:

It all depends on the motivation!  :))

But seriously,  I believe that we can practice while running like with everything else. We can focus on running, as well as on walking, doing the dishes or some other action, although concentration might not be as complete as during walking meditation.

Hello,

but I have serious doubts in that it can bring oneself to the end of suffering... ://:laugh:

O me too...running by itself.

Although according to the picture !I hold on to! :laugh: now, it can be for one who chooses so a tiny litttle stone on the end of suffering's path.

Best regards,

pamo

Tashi Delek

About running - I think that when you run you don't really see the world in the begining but you start concentrating on your feet and on your breath - later on it brings more of a view.... 

At least thats my opinion :))

best regards,

Namgyel