Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gigu

Da vinci code

The new movie "Da vinci code", based on the book of Dan Brown, is out.

The whole Christian World is shaken, shaking, and organising conferences, explanantions, and press release on press release against this movie.

What do you think about? Facts or fiction?

Thank you.

I'd like to see it.

But the situation in some parts of the Christian world is very serious. I forgot which African country but thousands of people are ready to hunger-strike til death if the movie will not be prohibited in their country.

Da Vinci Code claims Jesus married Mary Magdalene, and that there have been his descendants ever since. And Judas is claimed to be his foremost disciple (did i get that right?).

I guess we should take it as fiction, but i can easily see why Christians find it so completely disrespectful, it tells the story that undermines the foundations of their faith.

Regards

Tashi Delek!

I think the Da Vinci code is a softened, populistic glimpse of the "real thing", by far not sharp or definite. It even ends up in a very concilliatory tone, almost like advertising for the Church.

I didn't see the movie, but I doubt it is much different.

Those who appreciate sharper tones and a more scientific approach, may better like the novel "Anno Domini" by Barnaby Williams, from 1996.

All the best.  :yes:

There is a documentary about the historical backround of the Da Vinci code (the book not the movie); more http://dsc.discovery.com/tvlistings/episod...d=0&channel=DSC and http://dsc.discovery.com/tvlistings/episod...d=0&channel=DSC. I am not sure that the airing time is correct for our time zone. But it will be on soon.

I watched the documentary and it seems that the book is not historically correct. The author connected some of the previously rejected thesis and made a whole new story (no wonder that he is not giving any interviews :yes:). He relied heavily on the book "Holy blood, holy grail", which was issued more than 20 years ago and was proven as fiction (one of the authors claimed that he is a descendent of Jesus :laugh:). Yet these authors now sued Dan Brown and lost, but due to publicity reinforced the sales of their old book...

Of course, it is quite possible that Jesus lived with Mary Magdalene and had children and that Opus Dei is not a very nice organization :bishop:, but apparently the book Da Vinci code takes all this much further.

Best regards,

Draftsman

Tashi Delek.

The new movie "Da vinci code", based on the book of David Brown, is out.

It will be absolutely good to see it. Nevertheless, Jean Reno (from my point of the view the best :applause: world actor) is playing in it!

Best regards,

Simona

Tashi Delek.

Great movie! I would agree with the concept of the movie that there are tendencies in this our dear conventional world to deny the truth and maintain the appearance. Whatever the truth might be...

Best regards,

Simona

Tashi delek,

Of course it is turned into a movie, and has to contain few tricks to make all category of people attracted by it, but it's a very good movie, and stick quite much to the history... from the point of view of the theory it defends, of course ;)

No wonder why Opus Dei and the Church have made such a fuss when it came out (and still do).

All the best,    Gelong T. Shenphen