Dharmaling Forums
Goodie

Dangers Of Meditating On Emptiness Of Self

Usually it is said that to remove all problems one has to meditate on emptiness. But what if someone does meditate on emptiness too much, focusing a lot on emptiness of himself, can this make him crazy? Because during meditation on emptiness of I all kinds of wrong ideas about I are removed, but if one is not skillful, can he become crazy?

I've read somewhere about one practicioner who wrongly understood the idea of emptiness and after some time he started to speak about himself from the 3rd person: i.e. "this body goes there" and etc...

Some people who have studied Buddhism for long, even became Geshe, went into a long retreat, came out of it quite crazy. Prof. Robert Thurman warns about a wrong kind of meditation, where one can fall into a kind of trap,  called "a demon cave", so if it has such a name, surely it is possible to go quite wrong. It's very important to have a qualified Teacher and to follow His / Her advice correctly, as well all know.