Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  

sanghata sutra website goes live today

i want to invite the dharma community to visit www.sanghatasutra.net , a new website devoted to the Arya Sanghata Sutra, a Mahayana Buddhist sutra.

to commemorate the official launch of this site, practitioners in over a dozen countries - from italy to malaysia to mexico to slovenia (yes, slovenia!) to singapore to australia to botswana - will be reciting the text today, october 17. it will be recited in 8 different languages.

this site has lots of background on the sutra itself, downloadable translations into 8 languages, a satellite map of places that the sutra has been recited or copied, accounts of people's engagements with the text, tips for reciting, and a good bit more. it was created by an ordained monastic and PhD candidate (me) and was mainly designed to support practitioners in their engagement with the text, while also providing background that would be of interest to people taking a more scholarly approach.

you are most warmly invited to join with us to give voice to these words of the buddha today on this auspicious day - a full moon day with lunar eclipse - to participate in this global day of Sanghata recitation and celebration.

with mahametta

damcho

(translator of sanghata sutra into english)

Tashi Delek,

on www.kunkyab.com it is possible to download recitation of Sanghata Sutra by Lama Zopa Rinpoche. It's almost two hours long, but here's a little advertisment: Lama Zopa Rinpoche after about an hour of recitation says, that everyone who listens to this Sutra will get Enlightened. :P

Boris

Guest lodreu

Tashi Delek,

To answer an indirect question about this topic:

I understand it as it means that the Sanghata Sutra sows the seed of Enlightenment in one's mind, so that one will surely become a Buddha once, but just reading is still not enough - the seed needs also other conditions in order to grow, like practice, discipline, study etc.

I can understand that this is one of the methods which increase faith among one kind of practitioners, but i guess that maybe among another practitioners it could give an impression of superstition or turn them away for the harder aspects of faith, like pracitce???

Karma mecanism is very subtle and many times so complicated to understand.

When it is said that only a Buddha can percieve it entirely, it means we should be very careful before to draw conclusions about karma.

Lama Zopa Rinpoche being a high Lama, and showing signs of his realizations in his different activities and way of life, I have no doubts about what he says.

Lama Zopa Rinpoche didn't say that after just listening it you could go to the beach and wait, stop your practice, or anything similar :) . How the seed planted by the reading of the Sangata Sutra will ripen, as well as which other karmic seeds are needed and in which condition? This only a person advanced enough could answer.

It is very possible that reading, listening to this Sutra with a attentive mind, creates such condition that it definitively will bring us to Enlightenment. And this is not superstition, as superstition are coming from ignorance, but words of realized beings.

Believe it or not :wink:

Best regards,

Lodreu