Dharmaling Forums
Jampel

Dharma, Chi Kung & Martial Arts

I stumbled upon this

and thought you might want to see it...

And here you can find audio Teachings by Lama performing the demonstration seen on the upper video.

Tashi Delek

Hello,

Is the person on tape actually throwing the students around with some kind of inner power or are they just dancing :dontknow: ? Maybe it looks more like a dancing exhibition, but in any case - why would a Teacher perform such an action, there doesn't seem to be any evident benefit from it except making the show (or at least the benefit might not be visible on first sight)?

Best regards,

Draftsman

Dearest,

the "dancing" video is really funny, specially with Granny, but i would like to get more informations about martial arts as Tai Chi. I am not well informed yet regarding it so will appreciate any info.

but i would like to get more informations about martial arts as Tai Chi. I am not well informed yet regarding it so will appreciate any info.

Tai chi, or more correctly written, taiji, is an internal martial art, which means that it is not based on muscle power, but on the cultivation and direction of inner energy. One of my teachers put it simply, saying we should not move "with the muscles, but with energy". So it must be taught together with qigong (literally meaning "energy skill") which is its basis.

The practice unifies body and mind, e.g. you learn to control each movement of the body with your mind, each body part separately and all of them as a whole. Regular practice has lots of concrete effects, like softening the joints, improving balance, lowering blood pressure etc. - so in some countries you are entitled to a lowered health insurance fee if you practice taiji regularly. Beside this, it also increases speed and coordination, improves dexterity etc.

It also harmonises the human with the universe, as the Chinese say.

It can be practiced and used as martial art or for the health benefits only, both ways are correct.

And ... it looks easy, but this is just the appearance. To attain the soft and flowing movement, you must overcome many obstacles ... I read somewhere it was also called "fight against 10.000 inner enemies".

The word taiji, generally, just means the "yin-yang" symbol. The martial art is called taijiquan (taiji means the supreme pole, and quan means fist) - this is the barehand form. Taijijian is sword practice, and taijishan is fan practice.

Good luck. :)

Dear Wangmo,

thank you very much for simple explanation.

I do understand that looks easy and soft movements are based on totaly mind and body mingle.

It's amazing that people have a stimulation for their own health such as lower health insurance fee :applause:

Which countries are these?

"fight against 10.000 inner enemies"

.....and they are all our mind right? :laugh:

Oceans of Light

It's amazing that people have a stimulation for their own health such as lower health insurance fee :applause:

Which countries are these?

Sorry, I forgot - some European ones, I think Germany is among them, but should check.

.....and they are all our mind right? :laugh:

Once you hear your poor joints creak and when your leg muscles hurt, you know it is NOT only the mind ... :))

Once you hear your poor joints creak and when your leg muscles hurt, you know it is NOT only the mind ... :))

:)) i belive :))

but it's pleasant pain, at that very moment we realise that we have even more muscles as we thought :laugh:

i tried it too, long ago ..... :taptap: