#1 Wangmo

Wangmo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:59 PM

http://www.lamajigme.com/

He's on Facebook too - he says he is a monk, but he's looking for girlfriends, writes about having sex, sensuality etc. 8/
I see no credentials in his biography, no names of teachers, no reference to education ...
Can anyone help me with more information? :dontknow:
Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. (Bruce Lee)

#2 Ani.Chödrön

Ani.Chödrön

Advanced Member

• Sangha
  • 131 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:32 PM

I doubt that anything can be found about his teachers, because he claims that the “Lama’s only true resume, credentials and letters of recommendation are: the vastness of his Compassion, and the profundity of his Insight as seen in the power of his Effectiveness to change lives and heal hearts." (here) and that checking a teacher is not in accordance to the Buddha’s teachings: "We can choose to pre-judge our teacher based on the superficialities of: (...) convention – such as: a) Resume, b ) Credentials and c) Letters of Recommendation; but it is written that Buddha taught, that would be a very bad idea." (here) He claims, nevertheless, to be a highly realized Bodhisattva (here and here).

So, it seems that he is bypassing the lineages of transmissions of the Buddha’s teachings and interpreting the Texts to suit his interest. For example: he claims that "Tantra is NOT the path of NON-attachment, but rather the way of desire." (here) and that “EVERY pleasure, whether it’s G-rated or X-rated, could be harnessed to serve you on the spiritual path – so you can enjoy greater freedom from limitations" (here) Despite this is not in accordance to the Tradition, he is bestowing tantric initiations (by phone! :blink: ): "The 11 lessons of the “Beginning Series” (telephone lessons) are tools which: (...) Bestow the tantric empowerments upon you" (here)

I do not see much similarity between what he is preaching and Buddhism, but unfortunately his image of a monk, his Buddhist vocabulary etc. seem to abuse Buddhism and contribute to the degeneration of Dharma.

#3 tea

tea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 06:31 AM

PRETENDER: (a white, 44-year-old Californian) http://c2.ac-images....6e296e25115.jpg
REAL: (actual Tibetan Monk from Labrang Monastery arrested at age 42 in 2008) http://www.freetibet... (guri) web.JPG
This false lama contacts everyone remotely "buddhist" on Myspace too (his profile: http://www.myspace.c...ma_jigme_gyatso) where he solicits "Feed A Monk" money and online students to "donate" for his tutelage, at his previously posted website: http://www.lamajigme.com/

He makes me sick, as he has taken a political prisoner Tibetan Monk's name in vain and is using it to his financial advantage and power-trips. The real Lama whose full, proper name he stole, is written about here: http://www.freetibet...gyatso-aka-guri

Where do we report fake lamas dressing in the Dalai Lama's colours and (mis)using proper Tibetan Monk's names?

I doubt that anything can be found about his teachers, because he claims that the “Lama’s only true resume, credentials and letters of recommendation are: the vastness of his Compassion, and the profundity of his Insight as seen in the power of his Effectiveness to change lives and heal hearts." (here) and that checking a teacher is not in accordance to the Buddha’s teachings: "We can choose to pre-judge our teacher based on the superficialities of: (...) convention – such as: a) Resume, b ) Credentials and c) Letters of Recommendation; but it is written that Buddha taught, that would be a very bad idea." (here) He claims, nevertheless, to be a highly realized Bodhisattva (here and here).

So, it seems that he is bypassing the lineages of transmissions of the Buddha’s teachings and interpreting the Texts to suit his interest. For example: he claims that "Tantra is NOT the path of NON-attachment, but rather the way of desire." (here) and that “EVERY pleasure, whether it’s G-rated or X-rated, could be harnessed to serve you on the spiritual path – so you can enjoy greater freedom from limitations" (here) Despite this is not in accordance to the Tradition, he is bestowing tantric initiations (by phone! :blink: ): "The 11 lessons of the “Beginning Series” (telephone lessons) are tools which: (...) Bestow the tantric empowerments upon you" (here)

I do not see much similarity between what he is preaching and Buddhism, but unfortunately his image of a monk, his Buddhist vocabulary etc. seem to abuse Buddhism and contribute to the degeneration of Dharma.

He graduated from four years of high school in California, yet has adopted a disjointed, broken English that a lot of foreign monks might use. He's such a fake!

info from his myspace profile copied below:

Lama-Jigme's Schools
El Camino Real Senior High School
Woodland Hills,CA
Graduated: 1984
Student status: Alumni
Degree: High School Diploma
1981 to 1984

#4 lovemyGuru

lovemyGuru

• Guests
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:15 PM

It saddens me so to see the name of my dear teacher defamed here in this forum. Out of compassion for those who might see this thread and not have the chance to meet my dear teacher I come here to shed some light. I am his student. He has helped me in so many ways. He is a very skilled and compassionate teacher.

#5 Wangmo

Wangmo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:57 AM

It saddens me so to see the name of my dear teacher defamed here in this forum. Out of compassion for those who might see this thread and not have the chance to meet my dear teacher I come here to shed some light. I am his student. He has helped me in so many ways. He is a very skilled and compassionate teacher.

I am sure there are many compassionate people in this world. Yet, the question is about his monks' robes and his title.
To wear monk's robes, the dispositions are clear. I saw this teacher advertising that he is looking for girlfriends etc. From what I know about monks' vows, and these vows are ages old, monks can't have girlfriends.
Also, a Lama is not a title one gives to themselves, so I was asking for the information where and how he got to be called Lama.
What I read above, that he is using the name and title of a real Tibetan monk, is very bad.
But you are of course free to supply any founded document to support his cause if you have one.
Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. (Bruce Lee)

#6 lovemyGuru

lovemyGuru

• Guests
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:44 AM

But you are of course free to supply any founded document to support his cause if you have one.

I don't think I need to supply any documentation, that is not my purpose for coming here. I simply want to state that EITHER with documentation, OR the lack of, my teacher is very skilled, has helped me tremendously, continues to help me, provides valuable Buddhist teachings to me and my fellow students on a weekly basis and is an unyeilding promoter of the Dharma. Certainly there is more merit in this than there is to have docuentation of credentials.

#7 LamaShenphen

LamaShenphen

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Interests:Buddha-Dharma

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:03 AM

I simply want to state that EITHER with documentation, OR the lack of, my teacher is very skilled

Someone can be very nice, skilled in discussions, helpful in some points, etc. but s/he doesn't need to lie to the others about a status s/he doesn't have, behaving in a way which is contrary to the ethics promoted in the religion s/he is supposed to promote.

In Tibetan Buddhism, it has always been advised to perform thourough checking of all aspect a teacher or teacher-wanna-be displays, to check the validity of his knowledge, practice, wisdom... or lack of it. Some would say it can take up to ten years of checking before to accept someone as a proper "guide" (or Lama).

Would you go to get brain surgery from someone who hasn't been trained for, who doesn't have correct documentations about his specific studies and practices? Honestly...
If someone mess up with your brain, consequences in this life can be terrible. If someone mess with your consciousness, consequences for many lives can be terrible!
Lama Shenpen Rinpoche
---
"For as long as space endures, And as long as living beings remain,
Until then may I too abide, To dispel the misery of the world." (Arya Shantideva)

#8 lovemyGuru

lovemyGuru

• Guests
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:15 AM

Someone can be very nice, skilled in discussions, helpful in some points, etc. but s/he doesn't need to lie to the others about a status s/he doesn't have, behaving in a way which is contrary to the ethics promoted in the religion s/he is supposed to promote.

Would you go to get brain surgery from someone who hasn't been trained for, who doesn't have correct documentations about his specific studies and practices? Honestly...

All due respect, I think it is more important to consider that there *are* credentials before posting in a public forum the possibility that there are not. I think the time to post the posibility that there are no credentials is after one has done the proper research. I think more harm is done in assuming that there are no credentials, and posting the posibility that there are not without any evidence what-so-ever.

And I see no evidence of lying either.

I don't see the benefit of speculation and assumption when it comes to someone's reputation.

Edited by lovemyGuru, 28 July 2010 - 08:16 AM.

#9 LamaShenphen

LamaShenphen

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:42 PM

I think it is more important to consider that there *are* credentials before posting

Where are they? Why so much fuzz if there are any?
Buddhism is not like most Churches were you have to believe blindly, see all priests as holy beings, and not question anything. In Buddhism, we encourage thorough checking of everything, the teachings and the teachers.

I think more harm is done in assuming that there are no credentials, and posting the posibility that there are not without any evidence what-so-ever.

You seems very naive... Nowadays, there are so many fake "lamas", "tulkus", etc. that it is fair to investigate with all possible means, including forums. I have been (and often still am) investigated by people who do not trust at first that I can be this or that. It's ok for me. And when asked, I can provide the related documents... actually, they are on our web site, available to all.
And it wouldn't even cross my mind to write on FB that I would search for girl, and such.

And I see no evidence of lying either.

Then, you did not read the posts above at all. May be you do not want to see.

I am not saying this person is bad person. Some members of this forums are simply questioning his behaviour, and see that he has no background of study, unknown teachers, pretends to grant tantric initiation, seems interested by girlfriends while stating he is monk, etc. These are not normal. We simply say it, as we think it is somehow our responsibility to inform when we come across such things... Now, if you still don't want to check, it becomes your responsibility.
Lama Shenpen Rinpoche
---
Until then may I too abide, To dispel the misery of the world." (Arya Shantideva)

#10 lovemyGuru

lovemyGuru

• Guests
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:52 PM

Speaking from my personal perspective, I am judging people based on my personal encounter with them, what people who I trust say about them, and my very strong third eye. I understand that you do not know me and do not know if any of this is true but I ask for the benefit of the doubt so that you may consider the posibility.

If I seem naive, then my naivety would be relative. We are all naive when there is someone who has more wisdom than we do to compare to, and we are less naive when we have more wisdom than someone else. It is also true that people are not always who they seem to be - especially in a venue where we must rely on typed communication vs. tone of voice and body language.

I never saw anything in his FB profile that he is searching for a girl. However if he is I wish him well in finding the right person to spend the rest of his life with. I want that for everyone I care about who wants that. I am not privy to wheter or not he wants that, but I can understand it if he does want that. Who wouldn't?

Is it naive of me to think that monks are allowed to marry? Was not one of the the 14th Dalai Lama's teacher married? I listened to Tsem Tulku speak about Rinpoches and marriage. From what I have learned there is nothing wrong with that. I have no doubt in my mind that when and if my teacher marries, it will be for life, and it will be a very beautiful and productive marriage.

I am quite sure I am not telling you anything that you do not already know. However your words typed on the page give me a clouded impression that you are not aware of what I am saying. I respect what you are saying, and I know that written words on a forum without facial expression, body language, and tone of voice can be limiting in their intrepretations.

I have no doubt that there are so many fake "lamas", "tulkus", etc. And I have no doubt that my teacher is genuine...absolutely no doubt what-so-ever. I don't expect you to just take my word for it as you do not know me, or know about me, or my experiences, wisdom, karma, and such.

However I do expect fellow Dharma followers/teachers/students to give a fellow Dharma teacher/follower the benefit of the doubt. I think it is your karmic responsibility to give them the beneifit of the doubt, and to not take any actions that would throw a student or potential student off the path.

I expect you to make no permanent judgements and to be open to the posibility that this teacher is genuine, and has the credentials that are appropriate. Unfortunatley I am not the person to provide those credentials. My mission it to simply express that I know more about him than you do, and there is the probabality that this teacher is genuine, and therefore you must consider the possibility.

As far as my responsibility goes, if I see any harm done to myself or anyone I certainly would take appropriate action, but I see only good an absolutely zero harm.

I am happy that you have clarified yourself by saying "I am not saying this person is bad person." Because he is absolutely a good person, selfless in his teaches and devoted to Dharma and helping others.

Although I don't like the negativity I read in this thread that prompted me to take action via communication with you all here, I thank you for maintaining a respectful and honest written dialog with me.

And please out of your compassion for others and karmic responsibility please delete this thread when you find the information that shows that any of your speculations are false.

#11 LamaShenphen

LamaShenphen

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:30 PM

Speaking from my personal perspective, I am judging people based on my personal encounter with them, what people who I trust say about them, and my very strong third eye.

Ooook... When we reach the point when people claim to have "third eye", strong intuition, acurate feelings, or such, I think the topic is closed. Because it shows the lack of basis for continuing.
Except if someone has specific realization, how can feelings (blooming out of one's ego) could be trusted?? You like the man, so he is very nice, egoless, etc... yes yes, of course... Strong basis to say that he behaves as a good monk, that he has credentials for being a Lama, and such...

I never saw anything in his FB profile that he is searching for a girl. However if he is I wish him well in finding the right person to spend the rest of his life with.

What you are saying doesn't really helps your so wonderful "teacher". You do not seem to even understand what is a monk, monk's vows, discipline, etc.
I wouldn't be concerned that he wants a girl if he wouldn't be monk! He does of his life what he wants. But a monk simply can't have girlfriend. If a monk wish that type of life, he gives back his vows.
It's especially because of such attitude that Dharma is degenerating quickly.

Is it naive of me to think that monks are allowed to marry? Was not one of the the 14th Dalai Lama's teacher married? I listened to Tsem Tulku speak about Rinpoches and marriage. From what I have learned there is nothing wrong with that.

You are mixing everything. "Rinpoche" doesn't equal with "monk". A monk can be Rinpoche, or not; a Rinpoche can be monk or not. Same with titles such as "Lama" or "Tulku". Indeed, a Rinpoche can be lay, married, with kids :-// but a monk can't. If he does, he is breaking the basis rules established by the Buddha.

And I have no doubt that my teacher is genuine...absolutely no doubt what-so-ever.

Yes yes, on the basis of your strong third eye, we know...

As far as my responsibility goes, if I see any harm done to myself or anyone I certainly would take appropriate action, but I see only good an absolutely zero harm.

When we don't mind a monk could have a girlfriend, the harm is already done. Harm to Dharma and Sangha and to the ethical values they represent.

Be certain that on this form there is no intention to harm anyone, but to promote the teachings and values explained to us by the Buddha Shakyamuni and subsequent Enlightened Beings.
There are moderators who remove posts crossing the line between information (based on fact) and slander/gossip. No way within Dharmaling structures we would indulge in gossiping. Yet, if someone behave in a way which is in opposition with the Dharma, we have no problem to expose it.
The credentials were not the main point in this topic, but the respect of vows, and ethics. Would we get confirmation that what was written here is wrong, we would also have no problem to say it and/or to delete the whole topic.
Lama Shenpen Rinpoche
---

#12 lovemyGuru

lovemyGuru

• Guests
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:49 PM

I'd like to clarify something else also. You're conversations here in this forum are pulic, although they truly apply only to your sect or congretation not to all Buddhists monks.

It is true that whithin some Buddhists sects monks are allowed to marry. If it is not allowed within your sect, in your conversations it should articulate that as if it does not it sounds like you are applying this rule of yours to all Buddhists monks.

Ego tells us we are right and others are wrong. While we may be right, others may be equally right as it applys to their particular situaation.

This clarification is required because this is a public forum. If you wish to have a private conversation as topics relate to your sect and congregation, why not make this thread private?

I don't mind listening to what you beleive, in fact I love to listen to the beleifs of others without critisizing or telling them they are wrong. For all I know it is right for them, simply not right for me.

I'd appreciate it if you would not attack me and mock me because I say I have a third eye. If you do not beleive in third eyes, that is your beleif. I beleive in third eyes, and while you choose to mock what you do not beleive in I find it highly offensive. Please give me the same respect that I give you.

Edited by lovemyGuru, 29 July 2010 - 02:49 PM.

#13 LamaShenphen

LamaShenphen

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:56 PM

It is true that whithin some Buddhists sects monks are allowed to marry.

No. Definition of monks in Buddhism follow the Vinaya, the codex of rules and vows. And includs the vow of chastity. So, all monks can't marry, not just in our congregation or in the tradition we follow.
Their are other way to get vows and comittments, and to marry also, as some yogi do, or having the genyen vows. But not monks.

This clarification is required because this is a public forum. If you wish to have a private conversation as topics relate to your sect and congregation, why not make this thread private?

The content is open to all, to correct a certain amount of misunderstandings and wrong views (such as thinking that monks can marry, have girlfriend, or such) to the public.

If you do not beleive in third eyes, that is your beleif. I beleive in third eyes, and while you choose to mock what you do not beleive in I find it highly offensive.

I am not attacking you. I am not asking from you any respect. And i do believe in third eye. But I simply do not believe that everyone saying to have their third eye open either have it really active, or even know really what it means. So, yes, it's sometime a bit "funny" for me to read from people they have a developped this or that, open the chakras, the third eye, or that their aura is upside down, or displaced to the right or left, etc... I'm not 'offensive', amused only ;)
Lama Shenpen Rinpoche
---

#14 lovemyGuru

lovemyGuru

• Guests
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:25 AM

I'm not 'offensive', amused only ;)

I generally love to be amusing, but not in this case.

#15 LamaShenphen

LamaShenphen

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:33 AM

I generally love to be amusing, but not in this case.

It's when our ego hurts that we should ask ourself why? And work upon it with the help of Dharma... and our teacher, when we are firtunate to have one, a genuine one.
Lama Shenpen Rinpoche
---

#16 lovemyGuru

lovemyGuru

• Guests
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:19 AM

It's when our ego hurts that we should ask ourself why? And work upon it with the help of Dharma... and our teacher, when we are firtunate to have one, a genuine one.

Yes I am fortunate to have a genuine teacher. Now assume for one moment that you believe I have a genuine teacher. Please put yourself and my position and tell me how you would feel, and would you defend your teacher?

#17 LamaShenphen

LamaShenphen

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:08 AM

Yes I am fortunate to have a genuine teacher. Now assume for one moment that you believe I have a genuine teacher. Please put yourself and my position and tell me how you would feel, and would you defend your teacher?

Well, you even believed that a monk can marry, and you were defending the idea that your "genuine" teacher sh/could have a girlfriend! Out of such knowledge, how could you correctly check the qualities of this man? How can you evaluate his own knowledge of Dharma, let aside his understanding or wisdom...
Before to "defend", you should correctly check, and not just on basis of your "feelings" or third eye... I am not mocking here, more like advising, if I may. I am not your teacher, but I am fortunate to have met the Dharma long ago (26 years ago in this life); it gives me a certain background to see and know the common mistakes, specially among westerner, rather new to Dharma and its principles...
Lama Shenpen Rinpoche
---

#18 lovemyGuru

lovemyGuru

• Guests
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:50 PM

Well, you even believed that a monk can marry, and you were defending the idea that your "genuine" teacher sh/could have a girlfriend! Out of such knowledge, how could you correctly check the qualities of this man? How can you evaluate his own knowledge of Dharma, let aside his understanding or wisdom...

I don't just believe that a monk can marry, I know that they do marry. I know it is controversial, just as the thought that the world was round was at one time controversial. How dare someone call the world round back then.

http://www.time.com/...,892906,00.html

http://buddhism.abou...sexbuddhism.htm

Truth is very important to me, and my ego matters not when it concerns truth. If you reread what I wrote you will see I don't base totally on third eye. Am I to be persecuted and ridiculed here if I say I use a tool I have at my disposal? In fact we all have this tool we can use if we work to develop it. Its there for all of us to use. In Buddhism shouldn't we use it to benefit one another?

Does my ego need you to know I have a working third eye? Certainly not. What good is it going to do me if you know about it? I am simply giving you truthful information. I am being 100% truthful to you. I can assure you I am not delusional. I have nothing to gain here other than defending my teacher's good reputation. Whether or not you believe me, I will still benefit from the wonderful teachings that he gives me. It would be quite selfish of me to see this thread and ignore it and be happy simply that *I* can still receive the good teachings.

#19 LamaShenphen

LamaShenphen

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:02 AM

I don't just believe that a monk can marry, I know that they do marry. I know it is controversial, just as the thought that the world was round was at one time controversial. How dare someone call the world round back then.

For you to put together the misbelief of the world being round and the rules of the Vinaya closes here our discussion, because it becomes non-sense. Moderation also removed from your writing inapropriate comments.

Yet, I will quote a sentence from the link you posted: "Clerics of most schools of Buddhism in Asia continue to follow the Vinaya-pitaka, with the exception of Japan.". The problem here is that your guru pretends to follow Tibetan Buddhism, has a Tibetan name, and even dresses as tibetan monk, and in this tradition we do follow the Vinaya, so should he, no?
Then, there are also much difference between "priest" and "monk", but I won't go into that now.

You are mixing "traditions" with "singular sects". Monkhood follows some rules, yet if someone just come and call himself a monk yet has girlfriend, does it make it right?
Tomorrow I can start a "monastic order", which I will call Buddhist, I will start to ordain monk with the right to marry. Does it make it right? Does it make it following a tradition? No, of course not. So, if the truth is really important for you, stop to mix your projection (and mistakes from others) with the reality of Buddhist tradition.

And I suggest this topic closed for now, as we are turning in circle... Learn more about the Buddhist tradition your guru is supposed to represent, and then we can talk about it later.... And may be along the time some other posters will confirm or infirm the statements towards this man.

Meanwhile, best regards, and prayers that your third eye shows you the truth asap.
Lama Shenpen Rinpoche
---

#20 Wangmo

Wangmo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:40 PM

I just discovered this - a small eye-opening hint:

http://www.lamajigme...eed-A-Monk.html

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Yahoo (1)