#1 mavrica

mavrica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:13 AM

Tashi Delek,

News all over the world are reporting about 30-year-old Singa Rinpoche, a tibetan buddhist monk, reincarnation of a high lama, making his way as a popular singer. He says his songs promote Buddhism and well, the media really seems to be interested in him - though, perhaps more because of his image, unconventional for the buddhist monks than because of the lyrics of his songs. Well, I haven't heard any, so I wouldn't know about it.
I have heard that some teachers take unusual paths of teaching, but only after three years of study?... By the way, when does somebody get the title "Rinpoche"?

What do you think about this?

#2 Gigu

Gigu

Main moderator

• Administrators
  • 470 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:36 PM

Is he a monk? If yes, by whom has he been ordained?

If he is not a monk, well, he doesn't have any vow stopping him to sing and dance if he wants.

Thank you

#3 mavrica

mavrica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:59 PM

Tashi Delek,

that is why I am asking. I have only found one article about him (translated into many languages and published on various news pages, including Siol), here is an excerpt:

"Born in Qinghai Province, China, in 1970, Singa claims a rainbow appeared in the sky when he was born. At 16, a Tibetan monastery confirmed he was the reincarnation of a high lama.
Singa claimed he spent three years studying Buddhism in Nepal, Tibet and Thailand, before travelling around the world to spread Buddhism.
But when he visited Taiwan from February to April 2006 to promote his book, This is me, a living Buddha, he caused controversy because he acted more like a film star than a monk. He wore trendy clothes
and received his disciples wearing a shirt and jeans, not the red cloak worn by Tibetan lamas.
Some Taiwan disciples alledged Singa had not finished Buddhist studies in India and had not been ordained, prompting the Interior Ministry to bar him from entering Taiwan for one year."
I have also found a page with one of his songs on it: http://sell.e7play.com/e7play/singa/

I don't find his name on the Tibetanlama.com page.

Well, if he is not a monk, there are no problems whatsoever, but he should not say he is one - and neither should the media.

#4 Khyenrab

Khyenrab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:22 PM

Controversial Tibetan lama releases rap CD
Wednesday 14 February 2007 08:31

A handsome but controversial young Tibetan lama has emerged on Taiwan's music scene by releasing his first CD-a
collection of rap and hip-hop songs which he claims can help promote Buddhism.

Singa Rinpoche, 30, who is barred from entering Taiwan due to his flamboyant behavior on a visit to the island last year,
released the CD - Wish You Well - on February 10 through Taiwan's Forward Music company.

Since then, several Taiwan TV channels have been airing the MTV spots promoting Singa's album - showing Singa recording
songs in the studio, running in a forest and releasing a bird into freedom.

Wearing his trademark white shirt and blue pants, Singa, 179 centimetres tall and weighing 63 kilogrammes, shows a
natural talent for performing by flashing smiles and making poses, showing off his youth and confidence.

Singa signed a contract with Forward Music in April 2006 and began recording at a Beijing studio in July 2006.

"We were surprised by the public response to this CD. It is selling extremely well. We have opened a blog for Singa
Rinpoche and within a week, 100,000 people have browsed it," Forward Music press officer Cheng Chao-jen told Deutsche
Presse-agentur dpa.

Most of the 12 songs on the CD were written and composed by a Taiwan musician and two were written and composed by Singa.

They are: Reincarnation, Wish You Well, Let Me Take Care of You, Fashion, It's the Light, Girl Quji Zhuoma, Starting to
Realize, Leave Love to You, Today, Lama Chino.

In the songs, Singa mixes rap and hip-hop with chants of Buddhist sutras, and switches from Chinese to Tibetan and
English.

The songs deal mostly with love, but he also preaches his philosophy. The song Leave Love to You has this rap line: "All
the pain in this world is caused by seeking happiness for himself/All the joy in this world is caused by seeking happiness
for others. "
MORE...
http://jurnalo.com/j...?story_id=17787

Singa's website:
http://www.forward.com.tw/singa/

#5 dani

dani

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 05:01 PM

I haven't seen it written anywhere that he is a Buddhist monk, or even less that he claims to be one. It is written only that he doesn't ACT as a monk...

There is though an absurd thing written in this article:
“Cheng Chen-huang, a professor of Buddhism at the Fokuangshan University, believes Singa Rinpoche has violated Buddhist precepts, or moral codes.
"There are 250 precepts for a Chinese Buddhist and 253 precepts for a Tibetan Buddhist. For a Buddhist, these codes are very important and must be observed," Cheng told dpa.”

I am ignorant, and I am a woman...correct me if I am wrong...but there is no scenario according to which I could receive and observe these à¢-Ëœ253 precepts' of a 'Tibetan Buddhist' even if I wanted to (not this lifetime). ..so this statement seems really out of place;

Some 'precepts' explained at http://www.dharmalin.../30/32/lang,en/.

#6 Gigu

Gigu

Main moderator

• Administrators
  • 470 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 05:26 PM

I am ignorant, and I am a woman...correct me if I am wrong...but there is no scenario according to which I could receive and observe these à¢-Ëœ253 precepts' of a 'Tibetan Buddhist' even if I wanted to (not this lifetime). ..so this statement seems really out of place

As a woman, you can't take this specific precepts. The 253 vows are for monk. But the equivalent ordination could be received for a woman.
If this "Rinpoche" would be monk fully ordained, he would have to respect these 253 vows. And violating them would show that he can't keep a moral and ethical life.

Anyhow, I agree that as a Buddhist, and furthermore if one bear the title of "Lama" or "Rinpoche", one should be very careful of respecting the Buddha-Dharma ethically. And wearing fancy clothes or driving expensive cars isn't really an example of non-attachment...

Thank you

#7 dani

dani

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:59 PM

Dear Gigu,
Thank you for this clarification.
Indeed, not every Tibetan Buddhist is a fully ordained male practitioner with 253 vows; which is how I understood the statement of that professor in the article.

What bothers me is that until I reach Enlightment, I will not know who is an Enlightened being and who not; So, from my ignorant position I do not dare take the fact of wearing fancy clothes and driving expensive cars as attachment per se, becasue not knowing how things really are, this would simply be judgemental from my side.
There are Masters for whom I can easily believe they are Enlightened beings, but I would not choose to follow the example they are setting right now...it might be for some different type of practitioners... :blush:

What I find important for a beginner practitioner like me, becasue otherwise I would had ran away, is to be aware that I have full freedom and responsibility to listen, observe, question, learn,...to be able to choose whose example I will follow...and whose not... :dontknow:

#8 draftsman

draftsman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:12 AM

Hello,

A video for the song "What about me" with lyrics written&recited by Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche, taken from the album "Mipham" can be found here . Mipham Rinpoche is the son of the late Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche and the head of the Shambala lineage, presumably an emanation of Manjushri (says the official web site http://www.mipham.com/), also a marathon runner, a poet, an artist.

A nice song, but should be listened until the end to get the lyrics ;) .

Best regards,
Draftsman
In the vastness of the sky, without center or edges, the sun shines, illuminating all things without choosing. This is the way you should help beings. Shabkar Tsogdruk Rangdröl (1781-1851)

#9 mavrica

mavrica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:25 AM

Tashi Delek,

A nice song, but should be listened until the end to get the lyrics ;) .

thank you, Draftsman, for sharing this song. I haven't heard such good (pop) lyrics for a long time. simple and deep.

:laugh: liked the part with meditation and the mobile phone :laugh:

wishing you all the best.

#10 dormadrolma

dormadrolma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:The holy Dharma, Tibetan Buddhism, the successful transtition of the Dharma to the West, encouraging those persons interested in the Dharma, honoring the Buddha nature in all things and remaining a humble practicioner who is still learning, learning, learning! May all our actions benefit all sentient beings, and may the true Lama never leave our hearts!

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:54 PM

Unfortunatley Singa Tulku has been authentically recognized as a Drikung Tulku whose monastery is in a remote valley near Nangchen Dzong in Qinghai provence in Kham. The monastery is named Ka Tashigon. It's main tulku is Drikung Lamchen Gyalpo Rinpoche, a very honest, earnest, and enlightened lama. Singa Tulku was recognized by H. E. Garchen Rinpoche, a Drikung lama of very high repute. Again, unfortunately, Singa was around 20 when he was recongized, and has been unable to make the transition from a handsome, popular (especially with the girls) Chinese educated young man to a humble, dedicate monk wishing to advance the honored teachings in the Lord Buddha and the Driking Kagyu to the world. This causes pain to those of us who are Drikung Kagyu practioners and are earnestly practicing and carefully honor our lineage.

I personally know Singa Rinpoche and he stayed with my husband and myself in Nepal when he first came out of Tibet. A handsome, charming young man, I was immediately concerned about his future and the wisdom of those lamas who were responsible for his recognization. My husband is a former Tibetan Drikung monk. Our very best friend, was the monk chosen to go to Tibet to bring Singa to Nepal. He spent time in Nepal posing for photos, which I took, and writing poetry to me, which although I appreciate the gesture, was a little out of place for a tulku or a monk.

Please know that I say this with the utmost respect for our lineage, the Drikung Kagyu, and the faith I have in H. H. Chetsang
Rinpoche. Being intimately involved in the inner workings of our lineage, the monastery, the monks and Tibetan culture, I have had a chance to be an observer for the last 13 years in a very close way. The Dharma, with its traditional ways of gaining support from laypersons has created an atmosphere which has not successfully translated to the West. Westerns who convert to Buddhism have a difficult time separating the Dharma from the Cultural baggage Tibetans bring with them. They do not intentionally do this, but are just continuing the only way that they know to act as monks, lamas and monasteries. Not understanding this, I continually see Westerners fall all over each other trying to buy the latest and greatest electronic gadgets for visiting monks, which even though it is done with the best intentions, has a very negative effect on young ( and older ) monks who come from very backwards parts of the world. Monks do not need the most expensive cell phones, the very best laptops, designer luggage and desiger clothes. it is not part of what they are, and we are making a big mistake and creating unreparable damage to the Dharma by providing these things to them.

Unknown to practioners, large donations of money, given in good faith from a practioner to a monk, do not see their way to supporting the Dharma. What the moneu does, is give the monk the abilty to buy expensive new cars for their families, build their families beautiful new houses (in our case, with the monks we personally know, in Nangchen Dzong). They also use the money to purchase property in their own names. So know when you give money to a monk, you are in 90% of the case not helping the Dharma, but helping the monk develop his ownbank account and business. This practice has been condemed recently by H.H. the Dalai Lama as " merchandising the Dharma". So please, when monks come to the US or to Europe, do your omework. Most likely the title the monk is one that they developed themselves, such as Khenpo, Drupon and so on. In the USA there are some Khenpo's and Drupons, that I knew when I lived at the monastery. At the monastery, they are just one of the monks, usually not even one of the educated monks. Then they come to the USA and I hear that suddenly they are Drupon such and such are are giving teachings and even empowerments. Very sad!

Getting back to Singa; he is a bright, handsome young man who has no experience in the Dharma and is intent, in his own words to "do what I like and no one can stop me"! He has accumulated, along with a poor reputation, quite a fortune. He travels with Chinese bodyguards, a thinks of himself as a rock star. Those attracted to him are just needy people wanting to be hangers-on in his entourage. He is now in the United States, in the Los Angeles area, supposedly buying enough businesses that he can qualify for a Greencard. He recently invited our best Tibetan friend, who lives in New York to fly to LA so he could take him to Las Vegas fo a weekend that "he would remember forever"!

I think that it's time that we brought an end to the tulku system, which was originally a way to keep property accumulated by a monastery in tack from one generation to another. That was Tibet, this is not, and we have to be compassionate but wise about what we call Dharm and was is actually just cultural baggge. I love the Tibetans, my husband and my family are Tibetan. I am completely devoted to them and to the Dharma. But when I hear that one of our friends in Taiwan, someone I have know closely for 13 years is now married and has a 1 year old child (we talk to him all the time via Skype and he has sent photos of the new wife and baby), yet continues to go to Taiwan dressed as a monk, deceiving people into giving him money, I realize tha something needs to change, or we might lose the precious Dharma, which I know that we all take very seriously. So please think about where your money is going. Check up on monks who claim titles that they have not earned. Best wishes and may all beings benefit from our prayers and our efforts in the holy dharma!

May all beings benefit from our actions and may our hearts always be in the hands of the true lama.

Tashi Delek,
Dorma Chimey Drolma

#11 Simona

Simona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:20 AM

I think Singa Rinpoche is just great. What spoils the mind is not the money, nor clothes neither lap top. It is the belief that is so.

Best regards,
Simona

#12 dormadrolma

dormadrolma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:The holy Dharma, Tibetan Buddhism, the successful transtition of the Dharma to the West, encouraging those persons interested in the Dharma, honoring the Buddha nature in all things and remaining a humble practicioner who is still learning, learning, learning! May all our actions benefit all sentient beings, and may the true Lama never leave our hearts!

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:34 AM

I think Singa Rinpoche is just great. What spoils the mind is not the money, nor clothes neither lap top. It is the belief that is so.

Best regards,
Simona

May all beings benefit from our actions and may our hearts always be in the hands of the true lama.

Tashi Delek,
Dorma Chimey Drolma

#13 dormadrolma

dormadrolma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:17 AM

Singa Tulku is a bright, eduucated, handsome young man who will always have a following due to his flamboyant behavior. Be aware though that the is not highly educated comsidering the Dharma and has very little regard for the teachings, the moral values or the way his behavior affects the lineage or the people of Tibet. His main goal, sadly, is to do whatever he can to make large sums of money. He is not authorized to give wongs or teachings. He is a great entertainer.He does not consult with the many enlightened masters we have in the Drikung Kagyu lineage, any of whom would be happy to advise or hekp him. He rejects them all saying " They cannot tell me what to do. I do whatever I want, and no one can stop me" (hence the Chinese Kung Fu trained bodyguards. An affair with a married lady ( whose husband held a high position in the government) in Indonesia rendered his thrown out of that country. The there was the issue in Taiwann with his "tell all" book. Apparently even my husband and I were mentioined in the book. It's time for him to get rid of all the glamour and the glitz, come home, study dilligently, do a retreat and become a monk in earnest. We have so many good monks who are in a position to help him.Then perhaps, he would be in a position to responsibly represent his title, his people and his monastery in a true and useful way. Sure, the family ( and his father is getting rather greedy) will have to let go of their "cash cow", but the Dharma needs the wisdom and compassion that he holds and is laying dormant inside. He is sweet and he is lovedm by us all, but he has gone down the wrong road and we are hoping he can get back to where we can help him develop his potential.

Getting back to giving monks monsy. You can always collect all the money given at an even and sent it via Western Union to the head to the lama's monastery. That would enjsure that the money was used for the Dhatma and not for the lama's fanmily, not to give the lama money for personal inverstmtns, or to pay the lama's hanger's on. There are large amount of monks who will travel with a Rinpoche just in the hope that some of the money donated to the Rinpoche triclkes don their way; or that one of the Rinpoche's girl's fan club will look their way and will have "Greencard" written all over their foreheads.

Don;t rush in just because some monk claims he is the latest, greatest thing going in the Dharma and that he has a new method that is easy, can be done in your car and promises instant enlightenment. Enlightenment is not instant so stick to the tried and true lamas, ones who are approved by their leaders, and by H.H. the Dalai Lama. Don't waste your good intentions, your time or your money on someone who does not dserve it. Realize how special you are that you are in a place where you can hear the Holy Dharma. Don't waste that opportunity on someone that does not deserve your time or you wish to hep other crosee the bridge from Samsara to Nirvana. Be wise, but be proud of yourself for your dedication and wish to be a good Dharm student and to hep others by spreding the Holy Dharma, You are to be congratulated for your dedication and your good heart!

Tashi Delek,
Dorma Chimey Drolma

#14 megan

megan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:48 PM

"Singa Tulku was recognized by H. E. Garchen Rinpoche, a Drikung lama of very high repute." If Singa Tulku is recognised by such an esteemed Lama, then it is not possible that H.E. Garchen Rinpoche is wrong, ergo Singa Tulku must be a reincarnated master and using unconventional ways to reach his new constituents.

If the Tulku system is flawed, it is only as flawed as the Lamas who are recognising the Tulkus. If the Lamas who are recognising the Tulkus are NOT flawed, then neither is the Tulku system. Personally i hope the Tulku system will prevail as the reincarnated high lamas need the recognition to expedite and continue their life's works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users