Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kunzang

Anorexia

Hello everybody,

does anybody know a http page that would treat the problem of anorexia nervosa through a buddhist point of view? How (by which causes) such a delusion of mind is created? Often people who suffer from such a disease start eating disorder due to a traumatic event in the family. Anorexia is, very broadly speaking, caused by an attempt to control input of food in the body, so to speak to gain control over body to the point that the individual finds himself/herself on the verge of death. So, is such an eating disorder an expression of a wish not to live? Does such a disorder appear when a person suffers a violent (phisically or psychicaly) action that is recognized as a simbolic murder and then he/she adopts such an action as a drive of his own? Say, refraining from food in order to control his/her life - but this gets him/her to the point of starvation till death?

All the best,

kuenzang.

Hi Kunzang, hi everyone, merry Xmas to all of you! ;)

Kunzang, you can always start here.

Best, Frederic

Hi Frédéric, merry Chrismas also to you! And thanks for showing me the obvious starting point :)) !

All the best, künzang.

Hi! I believe this discussion is meant for general and intellectual understanding of anorexia and from all the Buddhist books I have been read, I met the explanation of anorexia only once so far - in Zen Theraphy from D. Brazier.

In that book three eating disorders are stated: compulsive eating, anorexia and bulimia with regard to three poisions in the same order respectively: greed, hate and delusion. Anorexia would be hate condition. While for the person with compulsive eating the separation is something hardly to stand, on the other hand, the person with anorexia whishes to be separated and has difficulties with closeness and contact. Such persons push the things away and reject them, wishes to get purified. Does not want to understand them, in fact. The antidote would be Compassion, or emphaty.

Best regards,

Simona