Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Felix

Rime

Guest Felix

Tashi Delek!

Please forgive my ignorance about such basic notion: Is Rime prevailingly a “political†statement (about non-sectarianism) or a whole path to Enlightenment? In other words: does Rime teach on the basis of a set of lineages that equal the whole-path-lineages of each of the five main schools or is it more a political/philosophical movement meant to protect Dharma from degeneration?

Respectfully,

Felix

Is Rime prevailingly a “political†statement (about non-sectarianism) or a whole path to Enlightenment? In other words: does Rime teach on the basis of a set of lineages that equal the whole-path-lineages of each of the five main schools or is it more a political/philosophical movement meant to protect Dharma from degeneration?

My mind still jumps upon seeing words that have to do with politics, please forgive me.

I know nothing about the issue, so I can't really help you with an answer, just a taught/quesitons that crossed my mind...

I cannot quite imagine another (general, "philosophical") approach to Dharma as such, but the Rime? Where do I find motivation for sectarianism?

Wouldn't the practical application of Rime depend on a Teacher, Teacher choosing the methods for a disciple that will take her to Enlightment the best/fastest way?

Would the Teacher be more of a Rime or more of a politician, if He chose for a disciple methods of three lineages only, not all five?

Would my Rime orientation have to suffer if in practice I were only to use methods of one lineage? Would that make me a politician? :0022:

:bow:

Guest Felix

Thank you for your answer, Dani. :bow: I would apologize but I'm afraid that I was not clear enough in my question.

Wouldn't the practical application of Rime depend on a Teacher, Teacher choosing the methods for a disciple that will take her to Enlightment the best/fastest way?
I agree. Yet, I would not equalize methods, schools and lineages.

According to my poor knowledge, each of the schools of Tibetan Buddhism is considered to be a whole path of Enlightenment, based on its own pure lineage of direct transmissions from Master to Master through centuries. It is often recommended to refrain from mixing the schools, unless at the very beginning, and unless one is a highly realized Master. I understand it as: :vieuxsmiley: Do not throw two (or more) sets of jig saw puzzles in one pile, if you do not wish to increase the confusion in your mind. :laugh:

As far as know, Rime is not a school of Buddhism. I've never heard of a Rime lineage or a set of practices typical for Rime. If its aim is more or less to propagate non-sectarianism (and thus prevent the degeneration of Dharma), I would call it political movement, but being based on an ethical idea, it could be also named philosophical . ;) As far as I remember, the other aim of the Rime movement was also preservation of the disappearing teachings. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I do not know Rime well. What I was interested about was: is Rime a complete set of teachings, leading from the ground till Enlightenment?

An illustration: When Lama Tsongkhapa was travelling around Tibet, collecting and clarifying the teachings of all the schools of Buddhism, He was manifesting a kind of Rime attitude, yet, forming them into what is now known as a Gelug school of Tibetan Buddhism. Does the same relate to the Rime movement of the late 19th century, or not?

Respectfully,

Felix

I don't see where the Rime movment is "political"? It is an oppeness of the mind ie. at the contrary of "sectarianism". You can be dominantly of one school and Rime.

It is advised not to mix practices of various school to avoid confusion, specially to beginners. Once you practice is stable, you surely can integrated some practices said to be from "other school", according to what your Lama will say. Always ask your Lama before engaging into practices anyhow.

All the best,

Guest Felix

Thank you very much for the answer. :prostate:

I used the term "political" because sectarianism seems to me a political way of thinking, so also the response to it. Nevertheless, I understand the Rime attitude is mind attitude.

Isn't it often recommended to the beginners to search among the various schools, to be able to decide which suits them most, unless they feel a strong connection to one? Is such recommendation leading one in further confusion?

Does a question of school play any importance when one meets a true Master? Is the answer different for a person with strong connection to one or another school from previous lives, and for a newcomer in Buddhism?

Respectfully,

Felix

Isn't it often recommended to the beginners to search among the various schools, to be able to decide which suits them most, unless they feel a strong connection to one? Is such recommendation leading one in further confusion?

Why would a recommendation be leading to confusion? I would see the confusion as the result of previously accumulated causes and conditions, and get down to purification to remove this resulting obstacle of confusion?....of course it helps if you know what you're looking for, and that might be more confused in the beginning...

:bow:

Guest Felix

Thank you again for your answer. The background of my question was a reflection about the development of the world, the degeneration of the Dharma in the Kaliyuga etc. and I find it interesting how it turned into a personal life topic. Fine for me, as one reflects the other. :bow:

Take care,

Felix

Dear all,

maybe it is so due to Rime not being anything else but just openness towards what is the most beneficial for one practitioner. For me being a beginner it is important to stick to mostly one tradition. And actually it feels more settling to follow one tradition. There is too much confusion already, why would i want to mix myself more. So to establish more peace it helps me to follow one tradition.

Then from the point of view of taking time before choosing the right tradition...it reminds me a bit about supermarket...I would rather take my time to find the appropriate guide, who would later on direct me on the path that fits my mind.

with best wishes,

B.

Then from the point of view of taking time before choosing the right tradition...it reminds me a bit about supermarket...I would rather take my time to find the appropriate guide, who would later on direct me on the path that fits my mind.

...on the other hand, I'm not sure I want to "waste†more time than really necessary in a “supermarket†looking for the Guide of the right Tradition...How do I recognise the One, if I haven't created the causes for it? And when I have created the causes or removed the obstacles for it, wouldn't the One have to be(come) there anyhow?

Do you think a qualified Guru of one tradition would not want or not be able to teach me methods of another tradition different from his/hers, or would hesitate to send me to the right person (of whatever tradition), who will, if these would fit my mind better and I have created the causes for it?...

Am I a bit naive? :blush:

Guest Felix
I don't think so. But I'm afraid that the Buddhists who can enjoy the luxury of regular personal instructions of a Master are extremely rare. I would humbly assume that the recommendation to research the schools in order to find the one that suits one best, if needed, refers to the majority of others.

Respectfully, :bow:

Felix

...on the other hand, I'm not sure I want to "waste†more time than really necessary in a “supermarket†looking for the Guide of the right Tradition...How do I recognise the One, if I haven't created the causes for it? And when I have created the causes or removed the obstacles for it, wouldn't the One have to be(come) there anyhow?

Do you think a qualified Guru of one tradition would not want or not be able to teach me methods of another tradition different from his/hers, or would hesitate to send me to the right person (of whatever tradition), who will, if these would fit my mind better and I have created the causes for it?...

Actually when the causes are there I believe one meets the guide who then directs the student towards practices that are most beneficial for student's progression. Or towards a right person for student's progression. So here I believe openness towards traditions is already present. Yet before not finding a guide, instead of looking for right tradition I would choose to practice and create the causes for meeting the precious guide.

Meeting a guide I am also not equaling with specific tradition. The right guide, the one I have connection with and the one I have created the causes to meet will progressively direct the practitioner towards what is of most benefit.

I hope I did not complicate too much 8/

Also regarding wasting time I believe we can waste time by rushing also.

But I'm afraid that the Buddhists who can enjoy the luxury of regular personal instructions of a Master are extremely rare.

Fortunately it is not a luxury reserved for some special chosen ones with special connections with those in the high places...like the Pope or even God himself...haha...Not just majority, everyone has the possiblity to create the casues for it...No? And those enjoying the luxury right now, better keep up the good work, as the luxury will stay for as long as the causes for it are there

not a second more, not a second less...I guess?

I would agree with Bilytis on the generation of causes...

Guest Ani.Chödrön

For me all the genuine Masters are basically Rime, appearing in the framework of various schools just to suit the various needs of the various types of practitioners. I can not imagine Dharma that wouldn't be Rime in its essence.

All the very best,

chodron