Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
billytiss

God, Heaven, Hell

Tashi Delek,

I would like to understand one thing. If one is praying to God, and praising God, does this mean one is creating karma to be reborn in Heaven. And if one would be a Christian and would not do like God says, would one really be reborn in Hell. I am questioning the logic of God faith and is it relevant to 6 realms explained in Buddhism.

If God can punish, can he punish in such way, that one would really be reborn in Hell. It does not make sense to me, since God is not the judge of our accumulated causes and conditions. It is us who create them and it is the law of cause and effect that is accurately placing us in appropriate place of rebirth. Then also even though one would do all good just to please God, one would not be reborn in Heaven due to this, but more due to having a vast amount of positive karma.

Yet somehow Heaven would not be optimal (God does not mention this), since after this positivity is burned out, we would get again reborn in lower realms.

It seems to me you wished first to conform Buddhist thought to fit within the confines of Christian thought and when it didn`t work it out, you chose the other way around.

It seems to me you wished first to conform Buddhist thought to fit within the confines of Christian thought and when it didn`t work it out, you chose the other way around.

I am trying to see the extent to which explanations in Christianity contradict with explanations within Buddhism. Or what is a place of God based belief system - how much does is stand reasoning, to what extent.

I have noticed sometimes that what is said in Christianity (let say about God) has a much more grounding explanation within Buddhism. So in one way Gods exist, but they belong to the God's realm. But this is also the end of debate from my point of view. Since having set a different goal, praising God does not work. Since God can not help me to liberate my mind from suffering.

Then there is this second question that I have. From point of view of praising good and him rewarding us. He can be rewarding us with material and more emotional satisfactions, yet he does not posses the power to help us transform our minds radically. So in one way it is a promise that God can not fulfill - promising followers that they will get what they wish. Since we all wish happiness -> and happiness is not found in temporary pleasures.

Then God revenging if we don't please him. It is only on the level of our experiences that he can revenge, yet he can not steal our mind, can not diminish the power of our mind, can not be more powerful from the law of cause and effect, since he himself is within the 6 realms - namely in God's realm. He is not free from suffering, he did not yet found the way to get out of it.

I believe that instead of being pro or against it would be better to see the position of God within the Realms of existence. I don't think its bad. Everyone has its own place and its own properties of mind. Some minds can liberate us, some others can bring us nice crops or offspring...

Guest Ani.Chödrön

I doubt that Christians would agree with your presentation of Christian views. Some might even find it offending, as it opposes the view of the Holy Trinity as the Unbiased Love and Wisdom.

I don't see a need that one's system fits into the other's, but if you are interested about comparison between the two religions, you might be interested in Alexander Berzin's article about The Buddhist View toward Other Religions.

I doubt that Christians would agree with your presentation of Christian views. Some might even find it offending, as it opposes the view of the Holy Trinity as the Unbiased Love and Wisdom.

I don't see a need that one's system fits into the other's, but if you are interested about comparison between the two religions, you might be interested in Alexander Berzin's article about The Buddhist View toward Other Religions.

Great, thank you very much for posting this link :). It does nicely explain to what is better to give attention and how to better approach differences :) - so that at the end is acceptance and not comparing and judging. Anyhow they are 2 different belief systems and are there to fit the needs of different practitioners.

If I did offend anyone by the above posts...I apologize :(