Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tibi

''whispering'' Recitation

Tashi delek everyone,

I have a question about silent recitation of mantras - also called sub-voiced, or as I like to call it whispering recitation. When we whisper we can pronounce words also when breathing in, and I was wandering if pronouncing mantras this way is appropriate or not. My question applies also for the recitation of the ''Sutra of the Three Heaps'', especially because the practice includes prostrations, and when doing many the breath becomes heavy. This way the breathing doesn't disturb the mind as much as it does when pronouncing only when breathing out - actually the pronounciation somehow flows with the breath and you can of course also recite twice more in the same time.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Tibi

Hi, Tibi and everybody! As I understood, it is beneficial when the mantra are spoken in a way that some sound vibrations are created, and whispering is a sound vibration. (in the case my answer is not accurate, I am kindly asking for correction).

Best reagards,

Simona

Tashi Delek Simona,

thank you for your reply. I was hoping I would get an answer also about reciting mantras (sutras, Buddhas names, etc.) when breathing in. So i'm kindly asking if you have an opinion about that: is it disrespectful, unaspicious... or si it ok?

I'm also imploring other members of the forum to post their opinion about the matter.

Thank you all.

Best regards,

Tibi

Hi, Tibi! I am personally more in favor of such way of reciting mantra, which employs all parts of breathing, so breath in, a slight "hold back" and breath out, so that mantra and breathing as a whole process merge and become as one and the same thing.

I would even dare to think "the engine room" of Awareness during the breathing process is exactly in "hold backs".

Bye & take care,

Simona