Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Michael John Smith

The Wheel Of Dharma And Compassion

Upon reflecting on the life of the last Buddha, it strikes me that his enlightenment was down to merit accumulated over lifetimes but there is little said about him making an effort in his last earthly existence to live his life according to a precise dharma imparted by a previous manifestation of a Buddha. In his early life he appears to have been unaware of the sufferings of sickness, old age and death. On learning of their existence he appears to have set about examining suffering and the causes of suffering by adopting the means of the time involving an aesthetic lifestyle, etc. It seems to me that if we all have buddhanature, we too have to adopt the Dharma of the time and place in which we live, as we recognise it in it's many, evolving forms. It appears to me we all have to relearn what suffering is and relearn the path to its cessation through taking refuge in what has been provided, adopting practices, as instructed and recommended by the last Buddha and accomplished adherents of his way and thus accumulate the merit needed for enlightenment. It appears to me that as we get further away from the time of the last Buddha, the more the wheel of dharma relies on our compassion towards all sentient beings. I am tending to believe that until the manifestation of the next Buddha, we are forced to be evermore reliant on ourselves and practices which help each other as well as ourselves. I expect the development of new schools of Buddhism and new practices left to us by Bodhisattvas are assisting in this.

In his early life he appears to have been unaware of the sufferings of sickness, old age and death.

Shakuamuni Buddha was Enlightened prior to His historical life; and what we know of this historical life was a Teaching in itself.

Furthermore, it is clear that whatever time one has spent into accumulating merits through Sutra Path, one shall spend at least one life into the Tantra to reach full Enlightenment. Which makes also clear that Shakyamuni Buddha did relied on previous Buddhas's Teachings to become Buddha ie. by merit accumulating, you reach a state of mind which allows you to perceive higher Realms, Buddhas, and Bodhisattvas, from which Teachings you can go futher.

I am tending to believe that until the manifestation of the next Buddha, we are forced to be evermore reliant on ourselves

You mean to rely on our disturbed emotions and deluded mind? Good luck with that... I prefer to rely on the Teachings of the Buddha, still very well alive and transmitted within several unbroken lineages by qualified Lamas.

All the best