Dharmaling Forums

I am experiencing a blockage in making progress with my practice. I am putting other people's enlightenment before my own. Whilst my compassion and my Tonglen practice has helped me to take care of myself better and has certainly helped me remove certain obstacles, I am still impatient I can't help others more. I am particularly concerned about not being able to help the Dharma in Slovenia and indeed about possible harm I might be causing to the congregation here.

I am experiencing a blockage in making progress with my practice. I am putting other people's enlightenment before my own. Whilst my compassion and my Tonglen practice has helped me to take care of myself better and has certainly helped me remove certain obstacles, I am still impatient I can't help others more. I am particularly concerned about not being able to help the Dharma in Slovenia and indeed about possible harm I might be causing to the congregation here.

Even if you put others' Enlightenment before yours, you have to understand that in order to help them correctly, you have to progress, to meditate, to stabilize your mind. This should be correct motivation to walk on the Path, while helping others.

True, you won't help them at the best if you haven't some realizations, but your motivation is what matters, and the strenght of your pratice. So, practice the Six Perfections, learning them, meditating on them, applying in your everyday life, and you will help yourself AND the others.

As about the Congregation, worry not, if you would harm it, I would tell you ;) The Congregation is also here to help you on your Path...

Dear Rinpoche,

Thank you for your advice. I shall be trying my best to follow it to the letter but really I am presently blocked - I am stuck on the first perfection, the Dana paramita. My wish to really help people does not seem to be strong enough to motivate me to practice properly. I am simply feeding their and my desires. I cannot in all honesty get further than aspiration for the Dana paramita. Like I said I shall continue to try. I shall be studying and meditating on the six perfections. I shall be trying to apply them in my everyday life but it is slow.

Even if you put others' Enlightenment before yours, you have to understand that in order to help them correctly, you have to progress, to meditate, to stabilize your mind. This should be correct motivation to walk on the Path, while helping others.

True, you won't help them at the best if you haven't some realizations, but your motivation is what matters, and the strenght of your pratice. So, practice the Six Perfections, learning them, meditating on them, applying in your everyday life, and you will help yourself AND the others.

As about the Congregation, worry not, if you would harm it, I would tell you ;) The Congregation is also here to help you on your Path...

Dear Rinpoche,

Furher to my blockage - I have considered thus. Is it my pride, my inability to prostrate myself before you? Is it my laziness to sit and visualise my refuge tree? Is it my delusion in thinking I am practicing the six perfections and acquiring a wisdom mind, and indeed finding realisations, insight and teachings familiar? This and one hundered other excuses for feeling like a helpless baby are appearing in my mind. I have come accross the Three Principal Aspects of the Path by Je tsong Kha pa and am now reading it. I see the work as a motivation to seek enlightenment, which I apparantly lack. He states thus, and I quote, "Withought a complete thought definately to leave cyclic existence there is no way to stop seeking pleasurable effects in the ocean of existence. Also, craving cyclic existence thoroughly blinds the embodied. Therefore, in the beginning determination to leave cyclic existence should be sought." This is my blockage. I have no thought of leaving this cyclic existence (before every suffering being is liberated). I am therefore "thoroghly blinded" and cannot "stop seeking pleasurable effects in the ocean of existence". How cannot I see that the Path is the answer to the suffering of all the beings I encounter? Is my blockage simply lazyness and stubborness - attachment to the dull light of ignorance rather than the bright light of enlightenmement? I repeat. I feel like a helpless baby, a crybaby. As you have said before, the Dharma is extensive and the answer lies somewhere within it, and I draw great comfort from this.

As instructed I am trying to master the six perefections or paramitas. I have been fortunate to find some interesting teaching of this in The Wish-Fulfilling Golden Sun of the Mahayana Thought Training by Thubten Zopa. I wish to share this:

http://www.lamayeshe.com/lamazopa/wfgs/wfgs_4.pdf