Dharmaling Forums

It seems to me that if the result of the action of generosity is prosperity then wealthy people have been generous with money at some time in their past lives just as those who have gained spiritual knowledge and realisations must have been generous with their teachings and merit in their past lives. Just a thought. Am I right?

Guest lodreu
It seems to me that if the result of the action of generosity is prosperity then wealthy people have been generous with money at some time in their past lives just as those who have gained spiritual knowledge and realizations must have been generous with their teachings and merit in their past lives. Just a thought. Am I right?

The idea is right. It's good to think about it a bit deeper, and take in consideration that generosity is first a state of mind, opposite to greediness, which then can manifest in different ways, not only with money, but with whatever one has and gives away for the benefit of others.

Generosity supporting Dharma, Dharma teachers and their project being the one bringing of course the most benefits.

It's the same with actualization of Dharma teachings and principles, the less self centered we are, the most dedicated we are, the most we will accumulate in term of merits.

Bets regards,

Lodreu.

Thank you very much for your explanation. I suppose we reap what we sow and with the right motivation we shall all enjoy a good harvest.

I have heard motivation ultimately comes from realising the emptiness or true nature of things. That as we move towards realising the interdependance or connectability and imperminence of objects we are motivated into having the right attitude towards them (attachment, aversion or...) and actually choosing to do something about it. Is this correct?