Dharmaling Forums
Michael John Smith

Chinese Rule A Death Sentence Fir Tibet: Dalai Lama

Chinese rule a death sentence for Tibet: Dalai Lama

Chinese rule is handing down a "death sentence" to Tibetans, the Dalai Lama has said, ahead of a meeting to decide Tibet's future approach to Beijing.

The region's exiled leader is on a week-long visit to Japan for talks on spirituality, just as a new round of talks between his envoys and Chinese officials was set to begin, and days after he said he had lost hope of any productive dialogue with Beijing.

"Tibetans are being handed down a death sentence. This ancient nation, with an ancient cultural heritage is dying," he told a group of reporters.

"Today, the situation is almost like a military occupation in the entire Tibetan area.

"It is like we're under martial law. Fear, terror and lots of political education are causing a lot of grievance."

The 73-year-old Nobel Peace laureate said he was "semi-retiring" because of stalled talks with Beijing, and said he would convene a meeting on November 17 to discuss Tibet's future approach to dealing with China.

"We will listen to the people's suggestions, and then I think things will become clear," he said.

"I don't think I will completely retire, but for the time being while dealing with the Chinese central government, I can no longer take full direct responsibility. My position is completely neutral," he said.

"Because we believe in democratic principles, the people should express their real feelings. I should not be hindering their opinions." (ABC news)

I might be wrong but this report sounds very similar to reports issued a few days ago and that according to the statement on the official website of His Holiness were in fact quoting the words of His Holiness out of context. Somehow I doubt that His Holiness would repeat almost word to word statements again.

http://www.dalailama.com/news.300.htm