Dharmaling Forums
urki

Dalai Lama In Newspapers

Tashi Delek!

I recently read and heard a few things that disturb me. Can anyone explain it to me?

The thing is about happenings in India - I read that Dalai Lama forbade worshiping the deity which guarded the Yellow caps, making now people that go along with that and people who continue to worship. Looks as if he has created 2 pools :S

The second thing I heard was that Dalai Lama starting to think or thinks that maybe peace isn't the way they should take to bringing back Tibet - is this true?

I'm stuck within my beliefs that peace is still able to be through peace and not war...

Explanations would be very nice :)

Best regards,

Namgyel

I read that Dalai Lama forbade worshiping the deity which guarded the Yellow caps, making now people that go along with that and people who continue to worship.

This (below) is my answer to the journalist who, in Slovenia, is spreading lot of rumors and non-sense about His Holiness the Dalaà¯-Lama!

-------------

It was quite amazing to read the article “Tibetan Taliban, Terrorists, Spies” from Dnevnikov objekitv , Thursday, 30 Oct. 2008: Aleš Kocjan. At first, I though it’s not even necessary to answer, since, after all, who cares about the mentioned story in Slovenia. Don’t we have more important matters to deal with? And my own time is short to do not answer all kind of stupidities. But then, I found really unjust that such information are published widely. So, here I am.

I’ve been monk within the Tibetan tradition for 23 years. I became monk I was 16, and went to study in India, in traditional monastery. So, I might not be the wisest, but I have first hand education and expertise in this tradition. Consequently it is somehow disturbing to see a common journalist pretending giving explanation about a topic he obviously has no clue about, reporting what he assumes to be truth and fact, but which is no more than Chinese propaganda against the Dalaà¯-Lama.

First, let me say that I am not Tibetan, and I am not politically involved with the Tibetan Government. Therefore I am not answering under any denomination else than an Abbot of a Buddhist Congregation (the largest in Slovenia), and Buddhist priest. I am not writing to defend the Tibetan Government which -as any government- has its load mistakes throughout History. My view is far to be “romantic” as I have lived many years among Tibetans, not just met some of them, as the journalist. And also several of my teachers were practitioner of this deity; all quit, except one. I have taken the time to discuss the matter with those who have stopped, and the one who didn’t.

I won’t repeat in detail the origin of the “bad god” story, as the author already mentioned it. Few centuries ago, after this person was murdered, he decided to continue to be active under the form of a god (a bit like in Greek mythology). This powerful being is named Dorje Shugden. He vowed to help Buddhism and specially two of the four Tibetan schools (while trying to harm the two others, so not only the Dalaà¯-Lama wishes to pacify this situation); but he also wished to take revenge against the Tibetan Government.

First inconsistency in the article. How could a revengeful being, giving into worshipping, could be emanation of a Buddha, specially Manjushri, the Embodiment of Wisdom? No, Shugden is a powerful spirit from the god realm of rebirth, not Enlightened, not liberated, just powerful. There are similarities with the Christian history, because there also it is forbidden to worship anyone else than the Trinity, right? How many people have been slaughtered from Old Testament, through the Inquisition, Crusades and else, up to today, on the name of God? So, Westerners should be used to such practice of trying to keep away false worship. Except than in this case, though strict actions were taken, there was no Inquisition and no one has been burnt or killed under order of His Holiness or the Tibetan Government, no Fatah, no holy war.

Secondly, what is the true reason which brought His Holiness and His surrounding to do all they could to stop the worshipping of this deity by mass people? When you become Buddhist, you decide to pray and rely only to Enlightened Beings, Buddhas and Higher Bodhisattvas. So we could wonder why some Lamas (including His Holiness Himself) have given into the practice of this god? Because his power could be tamed and transformed into positive one, into protection of Dharma; but he could be tamed only by high Lamas; and it is also the case with some other gods (some of them have along centuries reach Enlightenment, being in contact with Buddhism). If some people are weak and not ethical enough, such deity is feeding on fear, worshipping, and selfish praise from them.

Along the time, more and more Tibetans understood that worshipping such deity can bring personal benefit, power, wealth, etc. like worshipping any other powerful gods (such gods have been sometime taken a ‘the’ God in other time and place). So, more and more people engaged into this practice; giving to such deity more and more power, unhealthy power, making him also more and more difficult to tame and keep under control; till the point where he could unleash and become harmful. Then His Holiness the Dalai-Lama issued a warning that such practice should be abandoned, otherwise Shugden will start to drive his own plans, not anymore for spiritual goodness, and some beings could be hurt. This is the truth behind the actions taken against the worshipping of this deity.

We can believe or not this “gods story”, but we have to be truthful about the whole matter in relation to the beliefs of the people making or experiencing these decisions, not trying to depict any action as solely political or as terrorism.

Third mistake is that it is a fact that it’s the Nechung oracle who gave to His Holiness the path to escape, when time came to flee from Tibet. I say this with certainty, as I happen to have spent some time close to the Nechung monastery, and could talk with the previous oracle. So the irony is not the one pointed in the article but the fact that a journalist try to look smart and knowledgeable about matter far above his head, without proper checking of his sources.

Further accusations formulated in the article, such as His Holiness would “like to reduce the rich Tibetan Buddhism Tradition to a political clique” is word for word what the Chinese are saying, and is pure propaganda. His Holiness has long ago established the democratic Tibetan Parliament and Government, and stated that He doesn’t wish anymore political involvement. And He has done so much to maintain the different aspects of the Tibetan Culture.

What the article is missing to say, is that the followers of Shugden have murdered several monks, including the Abbot of His Holiness the Dalaà¯-Lama’s main Monastery in Dharamsala. What do we do in the West when a Society is directly responsible of murders? By law, they are condemned. So did the Tibetan Government by emitting warming against whoever would be involved in the Shugden Society.

Mentioning the case related to the Kagyupa school and the choice of the rebirth of their leader (the Karmapa), the author voluntarily omit that the majority of the Lamas of that School went to seek the advises of the Dalaà¯-Lama, because there was great confusion among them; and did not step in order to impose His choice at all! Omitting also the high polico-financial issues since one candidate is raised in France, and reign over many Centres which were in the meantime under the care of Sharmar Rinpoche, an opponent to the Dalaà¯-Lama since one of his predecessor has been treated as a traitor after he joined the Nepalese forces against Tibet (back in History). If I would have more space, I could also explain how one of the regent of that School, who was supporting the candidate recognised by the Dalaà¯-Lama, died “mysteriously”.

So, when the author bring terms such as “independent critics”, “experts”, and such, does he place himself among these? Because the tone of the article and its content prove his completely biased attitude. May be the author personally hate the Dalaà¯-Lama, wish to harm Buddhism, got paid to write such article by opponent of His Holiness, or has been very well brainwashed, I don’t know, it is his problem. But it is very much a pity that a newspaper is relaying such low level disinformation.

I guess by acting in such way, we keep people away from thinking about the true terrorism, the capitalistic terrorism, spread by banking and money systems, promoted by corrupted politicians and political systems of countries pretending to teach democracy and human right to the rest of the world! This should concern more people then stories of bad god and schism among Tibetan society, which surely does not need our help in that.

-----

The second thing I heard was that Dalai Lama starting to think or thinks that maybe peace isn't the way they should take to bringing back Tibet - is this true?

No, it is not true. His Holiness has always supported the middle-way solution. Never the violence.

Guest Ani.Chödrön

Here are the views of His Holiness from the speach He had in the European Parliament today: http://www.dalailama.com/news.315.htm

Thank you both for replying - it's much easier to understand all these fiction stories :S

Best regards,

Namgyel