Dharmaling Forums
dani

Death And Commitments

What happens with the commitments we take, when we die before to be able to complete them? (persuming we sincerely strive to complete them)

When we die we are not dissappearing just shifting bardos like moving from the dream state to the wakeful state. So nothing, absolutely nothing, can be lost. Your commitments will continue to be commitments OR otherwise bear fruit according to the laws of karma. You won't even be losing a body but gaining another in some form or other. It will all come out in the wash - just keep washing and don't be too afraid (just mindful) to commit.

What happens with the commitments we take, when we die before to be able to complete them? (persuming we sincerely strive to complete them)

Commitments, and vows, are taken with an "ego". When this ego dissolves, at time of death, they dessolve as well. Karmic imprints of course remains. But the next being won't have these commitments at birth/emergence :)

Next life, it won't be Dani anymore, right? So, no more committments taken by Dani, who desappeared along with the body of past existence.

Commitments, and vows, are taken with an "ego". When this ego dissolves, at time of death, they dessolve as well. Karmic imprints of course remains. But the next being won't have these commitments at birth/emergence :)

Next life, it won't be Dani anymore, right? So, no more committments taken by Dani, who desappeared along with the body of past existence.

Does it not follow that a new "ego" or self emerges because of the karma accumulated by the previous self, which includes the karma formed by consciously making vows and commitments?

Ow…of course…Thank you Rinpoche and Michael! I did overlook that Rinpoche…the imprints (of vows/commitments) will of course give results, and this type of causes will actually create positive conditions for 'further practice of vows/commitments' in my next lives, but since 'Dani' the 'then creator' dissolved at the moment of death, it might happen I do not recognize the great conditions provided by my creation...arghh...

In fact there might be nothing intrinsically good/or bad about ((not)keeping) vows or commitments yet, if I were to recognise I have perfect conditions for practice (and learn about the law of karma)...?

No reason to feel under the pressure of responsibility of some past deeds of some ego that dissolved and no longer exist, which might have made the creation ‘I, Dani’ have nothing to do with and I’d really just like to go to the movies and eat a big ice-cream...! :P

In fact there might be nothing intrinsically good/or bad about ((not)keeping) vows or commitments yet, if I were to recognise I have perfect conditions for practice (and learn about the law of karma)...?
Nothing at all is intrinsically good or bad, yet on the basis of intention and actions, we do create karmic imprints that are shapping our future. So, we definitly should pay attention about vows and committments and never break them on any selfish intention, or though harmful actions...

All the best