Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
matjazz

Understanding reincarnation

Tashi Delek,

In telecast "Sveto in Svet" Mr. ?erni? mention that 25% people of west believe in reincarnation but their believinq is quite opposite than Buddhist one. He said that they like the idea that they will reborn again while budiist strive to go out of samsara. I'm also budist, OK without refuge .. yet , but If somebody ask me if I want to reborn I would say : yes sure :D

My question is : Is a desire to reborn as a human realy so contradictory with buddhist doctrine or is it normal that "buddhist begginers" like me simple can't imagine what nirvana is ? :oops:

I undestand that all achievement in spiritual path will reduce my suffering and will make me able to be useful for other sentient being in this and next live

Best regards, Matjaž

Tashi Delek Matjaž,

As far as I remember, Aleš ?erni? pointed out that in the West people understand reincarnantion as a kind of "seconde chance". This uncomplete understanding about the whole process behind reincarnation comes from a lack of knowledge about karma, and not knowing that we can take rebirth also in lower realm, as animal, ghosts, or hell.

We call this process of reincarnantion the "wheel of conditioned rebirths". We are not free to choose where and how we will reborn. Not directly. It is based on the karma we have accumulated during the previous lives.

My question is : Is a desire to reborn as a human realy so contradictory with buddhist doctrine or is it normal that "buddhist begginers" like me simple can't imagine what nirvana is ?

No, it is not contradictory "per se". It is when it is a "craving" for wordly pleasure. It is not if we dedicate our life to help all the other sentient beings, on the basis of Dharma practice.

All the best, Gelong T. Shenphen