Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Michael John Smith

Is The Brain Really Necessary

May be the less brain tissue, the less we get distracted by unnecessary thoughts, thus we can be very good in math or such activities requiring focus and only logic. But when it comes to developing more spiritual cognitions, combining imagination and rational phenomena, the brain might have a great role to play.

The article is rather narrow and empty.

To an extent I also found the article narrow and ceratainly somewhat empty of any "message" but it did promt me into thinking about karma and it's relevance with respect to gaining enlightenment and this is what I found interesting.

I take it that when the Buddha said that even the tiniest insect was capable of gaining enlightenment he meant once he had created the causes and conditions to be born in the human realm. Likewise it is interesting to ponder on humans at diffrent stages of spiritual development and wonder whether we all actually pocess the abilities to attain enlightenment in a single lifetime.

I take it that only what are referred to as realisations or more or less permanent spiritual experiences are what follows our mindstream from one birth to another or is this too narrow a view?