Dharmaling Forums

I think the antidote to laziness is to meditate on impermanence or more specifically, death. This is because this precious life is too short to waste by not practicing. But is this enough? I mean unless we are patient we are in danger of wanting to be enlightened in a single day or at most a week or two - this is surely just another kind of laziness, to rush around all over the place. How do we balance impermanence with patience?

I suppose patience is something we naturally have but it gets disturbed as soon as we get irritated by something and we grasp at this and it becomes anger - and how does this relate to the idea of accepting impermanence - I believe it is because we get irritated or impatient with the idea of impermanence because we want quick relief or because we really want things to stay the same, which are two extremes showing us we have not really accepted the idea of impermanence yet - and then because we suffer, we get angry and impatient and this just fuels our ignorance and lack of acceptance of impermanence.

Patience is I think to really be in this moment without thinking about what might be coming up or analyzing what came before. This involves a letting go of our thoughts, which are otherwise often in the past or future, grabbing after this or that, dissatisfied with this or that, dreaming about changing this or that. When we are in the here or now, patient in accepting the here and now and what we really have, we can begin to see the interconnections between ourselves and others because we are no longer forcing anything. We are also really accepting the idea of impermanence without trying to change the way things change by clinging onto our thoughts, emotions or even possessions.