Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Csillag

Lama and Yidam

Tashi delek, :hello:

When we visualize a Yidam lets say Vajrasattva, we should imagine that it is our Tsawe Lama in the form of Vajrasattva.

So then I think, now my Lama is with me, and he functions as Vajrasattva for me, helping me to purify my bad karma. To imagine this for me is no problem.

Then comes a part of which I am not sure if I understand that in the right way:

The Tsawe Lama is the unity of all other teachers, all my other teachers are unified within him, as well the Jansattvas from the pure realms.

When it is said that we should imagine this, I understand by this that this part is referring to that all Lamas are in essence the same.

But, what does it mean that they are in essence the same ?

Is here the talk about Buddhanature, which can manifest for our benefit when we have enough devotion , even the buddhanature of Lamas who have not high realization, but the power to transmit the lineage to us ?

Is it possible that the effectiveness of my mediation could be influenced in a negative way, if I would have a difficulty/ problem with one of my other teachers, so a Lama who is not my Tsawe Lama ? :crunch:

( As the Tsawe Lama should be regarded as the unity of all other teachers as well....)

With all my best wishes

Csillag

Guest lodreu

Tashi Delek,

There is a first differenciation to do between our root lama and the different teachers that we can have. We can effectively receive teachings from many different teachers, but we take advices from our root Lama.

Once you are sure about the qualities of a Lama, and you feel a connection with him you can request him to become your root Lama. In that case you establish a special relationship with him. From this moment it is very important to keep a very pure view about him. Except if his behaviour is clearly against Ethic, we have to see him, as much as we can due to our limitations as a Buddha.

With this view we understand that his mind is the same as all Buddha's mind. Therefore our root Lama has the same qualities than all Buddhas, only he is manifesting a different appearence.

We can say that Buddha Chenrezig and Buddha Tara are of the same nature, only manifesting different aspects to help beings who create duality and need different manifestations to be able to practice.

In the same way our root Lama has the same nature than all Buddhas, so the essence of his mind is similar to their one, but his appearence, manifestations, are different.

As well we can say that due to our limitations we cannot perceive directly the mind of people, we then cannot say who has realization or not. It is then even more difficult to say who is a Buddha and who is not.

You can consider that the difficulties that you experience with other beings come from the manifestation of negativities, but are not related with the purity of their mind.

When you receive teachings from other teachers you cannot be sure that they have acheived any realizations, they can have only an intellectual understanding of the teachings. You can respect their ability to express the methods leading to Enlightenment. Whether they have some realizations or not is not very important in that case, you can still consider them as potential Buddhas, being concious of possible limitations.

Best regards,

Lodreu.

Tashi delek dear Lodreu :hello:

There is a first differenciation to do between our root lama and the different teachers that we can have. We can effectively receive teachings from many different teachers, but we take advices from our root Lama.

But lets say there is the following situation, that one has more than one Root Guru. One has for example 3, of which the most important is the one who does the introduction into minds nature, and who would be visualized in the guru yoga.

( I am not talking here from general teachers, who just transmit the lineage and give teachings )

Then when I would have a problem, an inner conflict with one of them, but not with the one, who is considered as most important, would this be then the same, as I would have the conflics to the other 2 as well from the samaya point of view? ''oo''

Once you are sure about the qualities of a Lama, and you feel a connection with him you can request him to become your root Lama. In that case you establish a special relationship with him.

- Some say it should be asked, some say it is unneccessary.

( One told me, you are already my student as you had the aspiration for it, when I asked him if he would become my Root Lama ,this was said by H.H the Karmapa Urgyen Trinley Dorje )

Some say one has a Root Lama from that moment on, one regards that particular Lama as Root Lama, regardless whether the lama knows about it or not.

I find this all somewhat confusing. I have all those informations from some Rinpoches.

I cannot say to those Lamas you are right and you are not right, as who am I to judge ? Maybe all are right and just answer is differenet according specific situation ? :<

Is there not a tibetan text existing on this topic ?

In the same way our root Lama has the same nature than all Buddhas, so the essence of his mind is similar to their one, but his appearence, manifestations, are different.

- Like doctors have their specializations, but all are doctors <|:)

With all my best wishes

Csillag