Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
urki

Dharma

What is dharma? Why is this society called dharma? And also where does Vajrayana come from? If I understood corectly the Mahayana and Theravada are the 2 main ways of buddhism, created in a meeting where they couldnt decide if buddha is in favour to bring all creatures to enlighment or if he did it for himself. Till that meeting the buddhism was unsplit... what happened then?

Our society is named "Dharmaling", not just "Dharma".

Anyhow Dharma is understood here as the Teachings of the Buddha. It is the ultimate medicine against the sickness of Ignorance. And therefore one of the Three Jewels of Refuge.

Vajrayana is a part of Mahayana. It is the Path of Mantra, or Path of Vajra. This is also called Tantrayana, Path of Tantra.

Shakyamuni Buddha has taught different Paths so that as many people can find their way to Liberation, either for their own sake or for the sake of the others.

Those Paths are not necessarily in contradiction. Eventhough, the aim and motivation are differents, and the tools to reach the aim are differents.

Thank you.

Then the Vajrayana is a path where u use the tantras and mantras? What is the difference between Mahayana and Vajrayana? Which path is the closest to the buddha teaching?

Then the Vajrayana is a path where u use the tantras and mantras?

Yes.

What is the difference between Mahayana and Vajrayana?

Vajrayana uses specific tools to reach the most subtle level of our consciousness, with visualisation, mantras, and method to control the energies of body and mind.

Which path is the closest to the buddha teaching?

They all have been taught by the Buddha. It was meant to touch as many beings as possible, according to their posibilities and motivation.

Thank you.

I heared a few days back that dharma is the 3rd wheel of buddhism. What does that mean and why is it? Which are the first 2? If u take the refuge, and become a buddhist in Vajrayana and in some time you want to go to Theravada, does this refuge count or do u need to take another refuge?

I heared a few days back that dharma is the 3rd wheel of buddhism.

Not Dharma but Vajrayana is the 3rd turning of the wheel of Dharma. The 1st was Theravada basis, 2nd was the Mahayana basis... and 3rd Vajrayana basis. Shakyamuni Buddha appeared under the form of Buddha Vajradhara for this.

Click HERE and read a more extensive explanation.

If u take the refuge, and become a buddhist in Vajrayana and in some time you want to go to Theravada, does this refuge count or do u need to take another refuge?

You do not take Refuge in any specific Tradition, but in the Three Jewels (ie. Buddha, Dharma, Sangha). You do not take Refuge either in the person who give you Refuge, as some believe.

Though, if you develop the Mahayana motivation of Bodhicitta, I see no point of coming back to the Theravada motivation...

All the best, Gelong T. Shenphen

First - thank you for the e -site. It really helps :D . And about the refuge, what do you do when you take the refuge? How does this proces look like, what do you have to know to take the refuge?

To take Refuge, you need to have faith in the Three Jewels, to know what means the Three Jewels, and to do not worship any other type of "gods" or "God".

The ceremony of Refuge is usually simple. The Lama explains the meaning of Refuge, makes sure that everyone has understood what it means, and makes you repeat after him the Refuge prayer.

In Slovenie, since 2002, over 200 people took Refuge with Lama Shenphen Rinpoche :)

Thank you

Tashi delek :hello:

What is dharma?

Once I heared a nice story from Ringu Tulku what Dharma is in the context what "dharma practice" is, I would like to share this story.It is one of my favourite stories.

Once there a was a men who decided: "Now I will began to practice the Dharma".

He started then to watch others Dharma activieties, he saw others circumambulating a great stupa. When he asked them what they are doing, they told him, this is the best dharma practice. From this day on every day this men was doing circumambulations.

One day a Lama came by and asked this men: "What are you doing ?"

The men replied: " I am practicing the Dharma."

The Lama said: "No, you are not practicing Dharma, Dharma is something else."

Then the Lama left. :what!:

The men started again to observe others, and saw that some of the people are reciting mantras with their Malas. Those people who did so, they told him this is real Dharma practice, so the men sat down just beneath the great stupa and recited almost the whole day mantras with his mala.

The Lama from last time came one day came by, saw him and asked again this men:

"What are you doing ?"

The men replied: "Oh Lama, now I am practicing the real Dharma, look how diligent I am !"

Then the lama left. :@

The men was after this meeting little bit frustrated and went for a longer walk. On his way he saw some caves, in one of the caves he saw a Yogi silently meditating.

The men thought, "Oh this must be for sure the real Dharmapractice!", went into the next empty cave, and sat there in coplete silence for a longer time.

One day the Lama from the last 2 times came along and saw this men being in the cave.

"What are you doing in this cave?", the Lama asked

"Oh great Lama, now I am really doing the right thing, now I am really practicing the Dharma !"

The poor men broke into crying and asked: "What the hell is then practicing the Dharma?" ''oo''

The Lama replyed:" It is working on your disturbing emotion, trying to overcome them, it is to practice the 10 virtous actions and to give up the 10 unvirtous actions, it is to follow the 8 fold noble path, it is to practice oneself in loving kindness, compassion and bodhicitta, it is to develop wisdom, and for this we have all sorts of skillful methods we can use. -()-

-8)-

With all my best wishes

Csillag