Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Khyenrab

Let's Talk Bodhisattvacharyavattara :)

Yes, to be aware of (the quality of) action before (my) action takes place, that's good, I like that.

Another question: now we know what poor Pretas are, but what is "Uttarakura" (the land of BuddhaDharma it seems?)?

Tenth chapter: "May the Pretas be as happy as the people in Uttarakura."

And if I am already writing this:

What is Yama (death?), who are the horrifying agents of Yama?

Who is Padmapani?

What are deeds of Maras?

Who are Maras?

Who are Dakinis and Rakasas?

Thank you very much for the answers.

All the very best.

Guest lodreu

Tashi Delek,

Uttarakura: refers in the Tibetan Cosmogony to the North continent (Tib. "Draminyan"), where all beings see their wishes immediately fulfilled. Or we could say it's a god-like place, where little suffering exist, and where one borns and live in pure contentment. Dharma is very difficult to find in this place.

For information we are in the South continent "Dzambuling".

Yama: Usually refered to as the Lord of death. I think it's a symbolic embodiement of Samasara. Nobody escapes Yama in the Samsara, as we have to face the nature of our deluded Mind and the karma we are creating under its control.

the horrifying agents of Yama:The deeds created under the control of the three poisons.

Padmapani: "The one holding the Lotus", one of the aspects of Avalokiteshvara.

Maras: The personnification under a demon form of the illusions, due to the mind non perceiving the true nature of phenomenas. Usually surrounded by the hosts of Mara, demons who attack the mind. It could be seen as all negative energies disturbing the mind.

Rakasas: Cannibals.

Dakinis: Literally sky-going woman or sky dancer - awareness-beings who fulfill enlightened activities.

Best regards,

Lodreu

Guest lodreu

Tashi Delek,

For the global characteristics in the Tibetan Comogony.

Dzambuling is situated in the South part of the Universe configuration, which has the Mount Meru in its centre.

The inhabitants of this continent are said to have trapezoidal shaped faces. It's said to be blue and trapezoidal. Here people have the possibility to find good conditions for practice, and it's possible to attain high realization. One might experience there suffering and pleasure in different aspects.

Draminyan is situated in the North. It's yellow and square. The people are said to have square faces and beautiful bodies made of light. They have a long life compare to us (1000 years at that time). The standart of life is god-like. Without difficulties for material conditions, no fighting as everybody gets all what he wishes for. But as there is very little suffering, there is no desire for religion, and people are unaware of death until seven days before it will happen.

Then each of the main continent has two sub-continents as satellites, smilarly shaped and colored.

Best regards,

lodreu.

Thank you again, very interesting (and beautiful and a little bit scary :wink: ).

I think that will be all my questions for the time being.

Best regards :)

Tashi Delek,

The tenth chapter of the Bodhisattvacharyavattara contains many most wonderful passages. One of my favourite ones is the one below. It is most comforting and soothing to my mind, very kind; as if the rocks and stones are 'irregularities' within my own mind, that need to be softened, excellent.

"May the ground everywhere be free from stones and rocks, smooth like the the palm of the hand, soft, and made of Lapis Lazuli."

My question is: what is Lapis Lazuli? :)

Thank you and have a nice sunny day, T. Khyenrab

Guest lodreu

Tashi Delek,

Lapis Lazuli is a precious stone, a jewel. It's blue, with goldren incrustation!. Have a look there.

The side of the Mont Meru facing our universe is made of this stone. I read once Lama Zopa Rinpoche saying that the color of our sky, sea, etc... was like this because of this reflection from the mount meru.

Best regards,

Lodreu

Guest admin

Arya = Noble

Shantideva = God of Peace

Note that the reincarnantion of Arya Shantideva exist. He is living at Sera-Jhe Monastery and His name is "Shiwalha Rinpoche".

Tashi Delek,

One more: what is Cakravati?

From the Sixth Chapter:

"While transmigrating, a patient person, with beauty, health, charisma, and so forth, achieves longevity and the abundant joy of Cakravati."

And: is Shiwalha Rinpoche a small boy (that can be seen in one of the pictures at Jhe-Sera web-site)?

Thank you very much.

T. Khyenrab

Guest lodreu

Tashi Delek,

A Cakravati King is also called a universal monarch, or wheel tunring king. These beings are usually Buddhas or Bodhisattvas (in realizations or activities), and have great power to guide sentient beings. lama Zopa Rinpoche once said that His Holiness the Dalaï Lama was the copper Cakravati King.

Shiwa la Rinpoche is a bit older than the small boy you are talking about, he is now in his twenties and is still studying in Sera Monastery. :-)

Best regards,

Lodreu.

Shiwa la Rinpoche is a bit older than the small boy you are talking about, he is now in his twenties and is still studying in Sera Monastery. :-)

Just wondering... does such a Being realy *need* to study?? :wink:

Khyenrab

Enlightened Beings are to show us the Path, the Way, the Method and Wisdom. And this passes for us through some studies, meditation, retreats... Therefore, they do it too, to encourage us :)

All the best, Gelong T. Shenphen