Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
urki

Mantras

Tashi Delek!

I have a little problem reciting mantras; first I do not know what they mean, second I do not know where I could get the explanations,

third and most important, I'm reciting the mantra OM MANI PADME HUM - the purifying mantra. What does this mean and how do I recite it exactly (I've been told to do it like om mani peme hun/m, but recently there were some pages that made me think...).

Best regards :D

Uroš

I have a little problem reciting mantras; first I do not know what they mean, second I do not know where I could get the explanations

It doesn't appear to me as relevant to know the meaning of each word in a mantra. What is the most important is the correct motivation, faith, and visualization going on and supporting the recitation of the mantra.

I'm reciting the mantra OM MANI PADME HUM - the purifying mantra.

"Om Mani Pädme Hung" is not specifically dedicated for purification but for developping Bodhicitta, Compassion.

What does this mean and how do I recite it exactly

You have to recite it the way it has been transmitted to you by a qualified teacher. Do not rely on books for such matter. "Mouth to ear" transmission is very important; that way, you get also the "energy" which was once given directly from Chenrezi to His Disciples, transmitted uninterruptedly from Master to Disciples since.

"Om" is a kind of salutation

"mani" means jewels, like the most precious Jewel wich grants all wishes

"pädme" (or "peme") is the lotus, symbolic flower which is always clean even when growing in muddy pound.

"Hung" is like the sound of closing the door of the lower realms

It could be then translated as "Homage to the One holding the Jewel and the Lotus, protecting from lower rebirths".

But the most important is to know that reciting this mantra helps to develop Bodhicitta and to feel the presence of Chenrezi.

If you do read French, here is an extensive explanantion about the benefits of reciting this mantra: "Bénéfices of Mani Mantra"

All the best, Gelong T. Shenphen

Thank you very much for the answer :) . It sorted out a few things...

Best regards

Uroš