Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Csillag

Refuge commitment

Tashi delek, :hello:

I have a question to the refuge commitments, but before I ask, here the text first:

2. Having taken refuge in the 3 Yewels, you should always have confidence in the 3 Yewels regardless of whether you are in favourable or unfavourable conditions, everyday unceasingly.

Whatever suffering and hardships you go through, , you should not rely on anything but the Three Jewels. Take refuge in the Three Jewels, do not seek the source of your happiness and problems outside yourself. ( H.H Karmapa )

“No matter what happens to you whether you are sick, under hardship, at ease, happy , or sad, you should lay out a mandala and the 5 kinds of offerings and offer them to the 3 yewels. Then take refuge and make this supplication:

Sacred master, great vajraholder, all Buddhas and Bodhisattvas, please listen to me! May all my sickness and whatever is caused by spirits and negative forces not occur, please create peace, auspiciousness, and goodness.

Aside from this it is also appropriate to gather merit by reading the sutras aloud, chanting and offering tormas, since such practices belong to the basics for taking refuge.

If nothing helps, do not give rise to wrong views, thinking, the Precious Ones have no blessings! In general, if you do not entrust your mind to the precious Ones, but hold wrong views is is possible that you will not escape from the lowest hells. Think instead, I shall feel better when my evil karma has become exhausted! No matter what problems and misery you may meet, regard them as your own evil karma. That will bring an end to all your negative karma.

Without pursuing other ways such as soothsaying and shamanistic rituals, engage only in taking refuge. :crunch:

No matter what arises in you such as the virtues and happiness of the enlightened ones, regard these to be the blessings of your master and the Precious Ones. By thinking in that way, you will receive the blessings.” (By Guru Rinpoche )

Now my questions comes ( to the red sentence ):

One could understand this sentence also in a way: When I have health problems, I should not go to a doctor or to a healer ( non buddhist )as I am supposed just to rely on the blessing of the 3 yewels, when I have problems in life I should not consult an astrologer etc.

I cannot belive that going to people who could help out of temporaly suffering, that this would constitute a violation of ones refuge vow.

Maybe the refuge violations happens according with which frame of mind we are seeking help from doctors, astrologers, shamanistic healers etc ????? :maybe:

With all my best wishes

Csillag

Guest Ani.Chödrön

Tashi Delek, :hello:

relying on the Three Jewels of Refuge fortunately does not mean avoiding any sentient being accept Buddhas :wink: it talks about the axis and the final Goal of our life.

There is a saying about it: if you dig on many places, you will never reach water, if you want to reach it, you have to dig in one place.

Sooner or later we have to decide if we want to continue groping about our life or shall we maybe direct ourselves towards one goal. And here is where the “fun” starts: while part of ourselves is trying to subdue our mind to follow the path, our ego is finding various short cuts, getaways and delusions. ://

It is not so easy to stay focused on the goal in the world that we live in: stuffed schedules, shattered families, entertainments that drain your energy… And behind it a lack of something real. Here lies a crossroad: short-term or long-term goal? One would combine: “Ok, I decide for a long-term goal, but for this short-term problem I will visit this short-term expert, for that another one…” at the end it might happen that all one’s energy is dispersed and no long-term goal fulfilled. :< Of course this is a generalisation – I believe that one can proceed with both tendencies, yet in different tempo.

Follow your rhythm. I believe that honesty about our present state is as important as the clarity of our goal, tenderness to ourselves as important as the discipline on the path towards it. I’m not suggesting that we should go back to the caves and eat nettles until Enlightenment, :mrgreen: but I do believe that holding firmly on the Three Jewels and gradual abandoning other worldviews progressively relaxes our mind and opens our horizons towards the higher/deeper truths.

It is not always easy to distinguish true from false, recognizing the range of this or that healing technique, what could be the consequences…. A direction that could be helpful is: what are its highest achievements, what are its goals, does it support our practice of Bodhicitta and Emptiness or it withdraws our interest from them and reinforces ego structures? :crunch: It is easier to preserve one direction then keeping it for a while, getting lost, searching the way back and trying to keep it again.

Besides, Buddha, Dharma and Sangha are the true Wish-fulfilling Jewel. !:!

Best regards,

chödrön

Now my questions comes ( to the red sentence ):

One could understand this sentence also in a way: When I have health problems, I should not go to a doctor or to a healer ( non buddhist )as I am supposed just to rely on the blessing of the 3 yewels, when I have problems in life I should not consult an astrologer etc.

I cannot belive that going to people who could help out of temporaly suffering, that this would constitute a violation of ones refuge vow.

Tashi Delek,

Lama Zopa Rinpoche in the wonderful book ULTIMATE HEALING, the Power of compassion - Ed Wisdom- :" we can take medicine but if we don't change our mind, the effect will be temporary".

It is not forbidden to see a doctor and have a treatment, but that doesn't act on the deep cause of illness: the fundamental ignorance .

If we are keeping the same previous habits based on selfishness, in the worst case the medecines will not help, in the best way the effect will not last!

It can occur that we have created the right causes and be cured. If it is not the case, we must create them.

For that we take the medecine, but we meditate on "tong-len", the exchange of the sufferings of others giving them - conventional and ultimate- happiness.

we use our problems - illness or whatever - to progress on the spiritual path.

As [/b]Lama Zopa says: " The true miracle is when somebody is able to stop the cause of the suffering and create the cause of happiness.The real miracle is transforming our mind".

For that we take refuge, meditate, recite mantras, practice the 6 Virtues, and use every condition in our life, bad or good,- as they are only labelled-, to purify our mind and accumulate merits, for the happiness of all sentient beings, and at the same time our's. :lol:

As everything is created by the mind, we can create the causes to be definitely cured, using abandoning the wrong mental elaborations for the right ones.

Is it not fabulous?... :D

Best regards

Ani Chönyi :D