Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Goodie

Inconsistency of result when seeing holy beings differently?

Tashi Delek!

I have a problem understanding this:

It is said that:

1. If you don't see a Lama who gives you a blessing as a Buddha, then you don't receive a blessing from a Buddha (even if he is a Buddha).

2. A moment of anger towards a bodhisattva destroys eons of positive karma, even if you don't know that this being is a bodhisattva.

So isn't this a bit inconsistent, because for getting a blessing you have to see Lama as a Buddha, but to destroy merits this is not necessary :? ? Shouldn't it work in both directions the same?

I heard some things in Buddhism are said only for an effect, so if here this is the case, which of these two assertions is only for effect and not true?

Thank you!

Goodie

So isn't this a bit inconsistent, because for getting a blessing you have to see Lama as a Buddha, but to destroy merits this is not necessary
In any case, to get angry do destroy LOT of merits; and to bow down in front of Buddha creates LOT of merits. What do we need to know more than this? ;) Karma is indeed complicate for our ordinary mind...

All the very best, Gelong T. Shenphen

In any case, to get angry do destroy LOT of merits; and to bow down in front of Buddha creates LOT of merits. What do we need to know more than this?
Thanks for answer! I agree that maybe to keep it simple it's the best just to belive it. But I kinda like the Gelug tradition because it explains things logically (within some frame you have to accept), so I was more curious from scholastic point of view about this 'inconsistency'.

Bye,

Goodie

Guest lodreu

Dear Goodie,

I might be mistaken, but i could be also possible to consider the type of energy and motivation at the different moments. When you bow down, or do whatever in front of a person, you have by nature a selfish mind. Because we are born with the three poison, which are why we are still in Samsara, every action if not checked is more or less motivated by this selfish attitude.

To consider someone as a Buddha, requires some effort, to put aside our ego, to generate good thoughts, etc ... Therefore by the power of all these thoughts you might generate stronger benefits.

For anger, no need of effort, it comes very easilly, is very strong, .... And more "important" is the object towards which it is directed, more important will be the result. Important in a spiritual sense, of course ;-).

If I remember well, lama Zopa Rinpoche once explained that considering the power of the objects of devotion, or toward which anger or any attitude was developped, our lama was the most powerfull one, then were coming Buddhas, then Bodhisattvas, Arhats, etc ...

It means that, in whatever action we engage, the energy created will be stronger in relation with the object.

I hope I'm not too confusing:-)

Best regards,

Lodreu.