Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Csillag

Can a Lama throw his /her student out ?

Tashi delek, :hello:

The following situation is a situation which I was wittnessing myself and it gave me to think.

I have a friend who is Lama and I was visiting this Lama. The lLama was talking to somebody, and suddeny screamed:

“ I will him through out, like this he cannot be my student “

The Lama seemd to really furious, very angry. :evil:

I was very suprised, and asked than what happened. (00) The attendant told me that the Lama has a new student, someone who doesn`t know so much about Tibetan Buddhism, and this student started to go from one intitiation to the other one, doesn`t matter who was giving the initiation and started to practice without guidance each practice of the particular initiation he received.

I asked then myself :

Can a lama through a student out ? Is this not against boddhisattva vow not to reject any sentient being ?

On the other hand we can read the advice that a Lama should not blindly accept every person as his/ her student without examining in before. So “maybe” the Lama was in a phase of examining a possible student,but then why being so hard to the student, he is a beginner not knowing what he is doing....why to be angry, as westerners we a pray to such things to happen at the beginning.

And concerning a possible beginning phase, this would be problematic contradictory with the sentence: “Once you teach somebody it is your student.”

Can a Lama through a student out once the student teacher relationship is established, like a student has the right to live once Guru, whom he reagrds not to be qualified enough ? :maybe:

With all my best wishes

Csillag

Tashi Delek Csillag,

If you'll allow the humble, repressed English teacher inside me to correct the few mistakes you made in writing your message, he would be really glad :

* (removed by moderation) *

Otherwise, I personnaly think that it is bad to get angry for any reason, and I am surprised at the reaction you witnessed of Lama... Ever since I began studying Buddhism, I read many times that we should never express our anger, but instead, when we feel angry, try to find the inner reasons of this anger, realise that it is all related to our deluded ego, and once we have realised this, once we have given the "wisdom eye" to our ignorance, it "shamefully" vanishes by itself...

I try to make it work for me and for others like that ever since I read about it, and it seems to work, as I have really become much more composed and don't let anger overtake and control my reactions anymore... and it is the same for my siblings, who were able to benefit from this amazing wisdom as well, so kindly passed on to us from Lord Buddha Shakyamouni through so many great practitionners of Buddhadharma throughout centuries until our present deluded times... Can we ever be thankful enough for that ???

Well I gotta go to the temple, it's time for Chenrezig ritual !!

With all my best wishes :D ,

frederic

If you'll allow the humble, repressed English teacher inside me to correct the few mistakes you made in writing your message

The non repressed moderator in me ;) would like to ask you next time to send those corrections to the concerned person directly, not in the forum, where we try to stick to Dharma discussions.

Thank you :)

Can a lama through a student out ? Is this not against boddhisattva vow not to reject any sentient being ?

First, we should ask ourselves what "lama" means, for us and in every situation of master-to-disciple relationship.

If we establish that a Lama has higher realizations, then, whatever he does is out of Wisdom and for the good of his disciple(s). Nothing to even think about if we are observer ie. it concerns the relation between that Lama and the disciple.

Of course, if we observe obvious breach of vows from a Lama, we can wonder which kind of "Lama" he is. Real one or pretend. We can even investigate for a while. But no point to generate anger or through some judgmental ideas and presuppositions.

And concerning a possible beginning phase, this would be problematic contradictory with the sentence: “Once you teach somebody it is your student.”

"Student" may be, "disciple" no. We teach lot of people; they all do not spontaneously become disciples! It has to be a voluntary process, from both sides.

All the best, Gelong T. Shenphen

if a good lama throws you out, that's good, because he is a good one and knows what he is doing.

if a bad lama throws you out, that's also good, because you get rid of him.

so, please enjoy whatever comes.

all the best

a