Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Csillag

Is it karmic or because of circumstances?

Tashi delek,:hello:

When anything happens, negative or positive, to what extent does this depend on karma or on certain conditions?

Why do circumstances have nothing to do with karma?

I mean it could be ones bad karma that one has most of the time bad circumstances.....

With all my best wishes

Csillag

Tashi Delek,

Aren't all conditions a product of previously accumulated causes? If the answer is "No", this would nullify karma, and I can't buy that ;)

Regards

Tashi delek,:hello:

Aren't all conditions a product of previously accumulated causes? If the answer is "No", this would nullify karma, and I can't buy that ;)

Well in many teachings I heared that not everything is karma. For example:

by Trangu Rinpoche, tutor of H.H. Karmapa Urgyen TrinleyDorje

"........Everything is not karma. There are 2 things, your previous karma and immediate circumstances.Things like physical suffering, whether you have wealth or are impoverished, depend upon your previous karma.Other things like sometimes your state of mind is more dependent upon circumstances than upon karma. For instance, if you have good dharma friends with you, then it might be that your mind is in a good place for practicing and you are quite happy most of the time., whereas when you are around people who are not good for you, then your state of mind will not be good either, your anger will increasei.e. you will be quick to anger.That is called circumstance.

Inner obstacles do not come from previous karma. What comes from previous karma are such things as physical suffering, poverty, things like that. Inner obstacles, which are various bad conceptual thoughts, come from previous bad habbits, bad thinking habbits. So to do confession and things like that will not purify inner obstacles. What purifies inner obstacles is for instance contemplation on the 4 thoughts which turn the mind , because it is habitual thinking., a very, very old habit, these inner obstacles. So gradually , as one does the 4 contemplations, thinking about impermanence and also other things, such as the qualities of the buddhas, will gradually change the bad habits of mind, that will clarify the inner obstacles........."

Well and here I would ask then from where are the habits coming, if not from karma , I mean it has a cause that someone has certain habits, so the habits are the fruit of certain repeated actions.

With all my best wishes

Csillag

"Inner obstacles, which are various bad conceptual thoughts, come from previous bad habbits, bad thinking habits."

Aren't habits also actions, producing karma, creating new habits, producing new karma...? Aren't all states of mind karmic consequences of previous states of mind? A mere thought produces karma, and there had to be previous causes for that thought to arise, right? That's how I understand it, anyhow. This does not exclude our free will and changing, reprograming our whole mind-setup with positive habits, compassionate thoughts and altruistic motivation, thereby creating a completely different direction of our life. Am I right? :maybe:

Best regards

Tashi delek :hello:

"

Aren't habits also actions, producing karma, creating new habits, producing new karma...? Aren't all states of mind karmic consequences of previous states of mind? A mere thought produces karma, and there had to be previous causes for that thought to arise, right?

I also would think like that, but there must be a reason why some very high lamas are saying not everything is karma.......and I do not understand it. So I cannot tell you if you are right or not.

Also in tibetan medicine they list many causes out of which a particular desease can develop:

1.Environmental factors

2.Lifestyle

3.Nutrition

4.Climate

5.Spirits

6.Karma

So you have here as one factor of disease: karma. But somehow is not everything karmic, the environment we in etc.?....or is it not karmic in the sence that we have the free will to choose our environment, and because of ones own desition going there , one becames sick because of the climat.

But still there is cause and effect in this.

So maybe karma can be understood from different view points. That is how it seems so me.

Maybe by karma they mean here just things which are coming from past lifes, not from actions , descitions of this life....

I don`t know, therefore I am asking

With all my best wishes

Csillag

1.Environmental factors

2.Lifestyle

3.Nutrition

4.Climate

5.Spirits

Can you name one thing/being above that is not subject to cause and effect? :)

Best regards

Tashi delek :hello:

Can you name one thing/being above that is not subject to cause and effect? :)

Best regards

No I can`t but there must be a reason why tibetan medicine list karma as one of the factors.

I heared that when a disease is diagnosed as being the result of karma, tibetan doctors do not give medicine.

What is done that time is, that the person is practicing mainly purification practices, as the medicine won`t be able to help in this case as it is karmic......

For me this is strange, because according to my knowledge everything is karmic, but my knowledge is ...you know almost 0.

So I hope Rinpoche can answer us, clarify the whole story with karma and conditions.

And" if "I remember right, in a teaching Dzogchen Pönlop Rinpoche said when teaching about karma, that what we experience is due to 50% karma and to 50% conditions, and with the conditions we can work.

Karma is like a seed. And water , good soil, sun are the conditions.

I have not my notes with me, but I will look into it as soon as possible.

With all my best wishes

Csillag