Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Khyenrab

karmic effects of eating meat

1 kilo of meat in your plate had required 9 times more of ground surface than 1 kilo of cereal, which means that vegetarism could be a solution to the hunger in the world with a better yield, (not so many fallen trees) crops for 9 times more people and last but not least no more fear, blood and slaughter! People begin to kill animals and once these action performed it is so easy afterward to kill people too! What is the difference in fact? We have both the same basis of consciousness...

with much love and prayer

kyleen

Hello, Klaus!

In fact, to kill an animal can easily be qualified as crime (criminal act). :P

I legal terms, animals can be (also) classified as "things" or "private property", so, to intentionally kill (or out of negligence cause death of) another person's animal, can be a criminal act - "unlawful destruction of another's possession"...

Second, animals are specially protected by the the Criminal Code (here in Slovenia) by other articles: one sanctions torture of animals (if found guilty, you can go to prison for up to 3 months); another sanctions the production of medicine for animals that are given out to be sold, but are dangerous for the life or health of the animals... (punishment - up to one year!); another punishes veterinarians who would cause the death of the animal by being professionally unskillful (up to one year)... and this is just the Criminal Code, there must be legal acts that even more specifically protect the well-being of animals, but the Criminal Code is the "top safe-guard" of the state, concerning unacceptable non-social behaviour.

Be well,

Khyenrab

Second, animals are specially protected by the the Criminal Code

Which doesn't apply to slaughterhouse, obvioulsy... :(

As the mater of fact, the European laws request that all animals in slaughterhouse be "anaesthesiated" (with electric choc) before to be killed. And it is applied in Slovenia.

Yet, some religious communities (Jews for example) reject this, and want the animal to be killed fully aware of it! :// Then even dared to propose that the animal could be anaesthesiated after their throat to be cut! :

And what's about the habits to kill turkey for Christmas? And lambs for Easter? The Christ Himself condamned this practice in His time... But the 'so-called' followers of Church do not respect the Words of their Founder :?

Where is the Compassion?? :(=

Thank you.

Yes, we have "protected" the animals by some laws to make ourselves look more human, more ethical... o:)

I know several people who would never hurt an animal, though they eat meat every day. When I asked them if they would be ready to take that knife, go into the barn and cut that chicken's throat that was presently in their plate, they just looked at me...

It's a strong custom (to eat meat) and people don't think lightly of becoming vegetarian...

Yet, some religious communities (Jews for example) reject this, and want the animal to be killed fully aware of it! :// Then even dared to propose that the animal could be anaesthesiated after their throat to be cut! :<

I didn't know that. That is insane. 8O

...and it is absurd: you can "rightfully" kill (your) animal and then eat it (once you have the authoritative permission from the state), but when you torture it and your neighbour "turns you in", you can go to jail for it. :?

I think the legal or technical term for the commercial slaughter of animals is - "slaughter". Strange that we didn't look for a nicer term!

Best regards,

Khyenrab

And what's about the habits to kill turkey for Christmas? And lambs for Easter? The Christ Himself condamned this practice in His time... But the 'so-called' followers of Church do not respect the Words of their Founder :?

Excuse me, I once opened a book on Popes (publication accepted by the Church), and the first sentence was: "With his death on the cross, Jesus founded the Church." So officially, it isn't founded on his words. :wink:

But... even so... Jesus undoubtedly is the Founder, right? Without His death-life-teachings, would there be any Church?

And, if this is important, Gigu didn't write that it was founded on His words, did he?

Greetings

Excuse me, I once opened a book on Popes (publication accepted by the Church), and the first sentence was: "With his death on the cross, Jesus founded the Church." So officially, it isn't founded on his words.

What is your point here? I just said that Jesus condamned the killing of animals, and that his followers do not respect it...

Jesus undoubtedly is the Founder, right?

Jesus from Nazareth is at the origine of Christianity; not necesserily of the subsequent Churches acting on His name!

Without His death-life-teachings, would there be any Church?

Other founders of religions didn't die on a cross, yet, Churches have appeared... If it is what you pointed out.

Thank you.

Other founders of religions didn't die on a cross, yet, Churches have appeared...

I didn't say that his death was neccesary, I am asking if there would be any Christian Church without Jesus of Nazareth...

I didn't say that his death was neccesary, I am asking if there would be any Christian Church without Jesus of Nazareth...

Probably not. Like there might not have been Buddhism without Buddha; Muslim without Mahomet; etc...

Thank you.

Excuse me, I once opened a book on Popes (publication accepted by the Church), and the first sentence was: "With his death on the cross, Jesus founded the Church." So officially, it isn't founded on his words.

What is your point here? I just said that Jesus condamned the killing of animals, and that his followers do not respect it...

Hum? I wanted to point out that the Church is founded on the death of Jesus, not on his words. So it's pretty irrelevant what he said, the only relevant thing is that he died on the cross. In this case we can't really object if his words are not observed, can we??

If we look at history, we see that this non-observing of the words of Jesus is traditional in the Church - remember the Inquisition. How does it fit together with "Thou shalt not kill" or "He who is without sin shall cast the first stone"?

But if we take into account the explanation that the Church is founded only on the death of Jesus (not on his words), then even the Inquisition might be more clear, and the Christmas turkey too?

Tashi Delek,

A few days ago I talked to two Christians who had apparently been to a hunting spree, killing animals (and taking their skin off, barbeecue them and then eat them!). When I pointed it out that that is not the most compassionate thing that one could do and very probably against the teachings of their religion they clamly replied that that is certainly not the case. Jesus supposedly said that killing humans is sin, but not animals... :?

Greetings

If people can kill an animal, why not kill a human to eat?

people say its a crime to kill people, but what about animals?

:x  :cry:

Excerpts from a small brochure from a Christian oriented, yet not Catholic Church approved, community - Universal Life...:

There are 45 billion animals killed to produce food for humans.

Eating meat causes (increases the possibility of) many diseases:

- diabetes

- obesity

- bone diseases

- cancer

- inflammations and pains

- heart attacks; arteriosclerose

- depression

- higher risk of dementia

- lower memory ability

Eating meat causes global suffering:

- 40% of the world's cereal production is "used" for stockbreeding

- to produce of 1 kilo of beef meat 9 kilos of grains is used

- many poorer countries are forced to sell vegetable food abroad, which could be "used" to feed many people at home; 60% of fodder for mass stockbreeding is imported from the countries in the developing world

- to produce a 200 g steak 2 kg of grains is used; 2 kg of grains would feed approximately 8 children; 40.000 children die from famine each year

- each year 50 million people die from famine; if industrial countries reduced their use of meat by only 10 %, there would be an additional supply of food for 100 million people - nobody would have to die from hunger!

- global warming: the "animal industry" produces 20% of the world's production of methane (toxic gas)

- for one hamburger 5 m3 of tropical rain forest is cut down

- 85% of the erosion of the ground is caused by meat and milk production

- 33% of all food resources is used for mass stockbreeding

- 50% of the world's drinking water is used for mass stckbreeding; 100 times more water is used to produce 1 kg of meat than 1 kg of grains

"Intelligent people don't eat anything that has eyes"

Albert Einstein, physicist:

"Nothing will increase the possibility for survival on our planet than a step in the direction of people becoming vegetarian."

Tomas Alva Edison, inventor of light-bulb:

"I am a vegetarian and an anti-alcoholic, because I can use my brain much better this way."

Lev Tolstoj, writer:

"Eating meat is the remains of the worst savagery; becoming vegetarian is the first and the most natural effect of illumunation."

Leonardo da Vinci, universal genious:

"Man is truly the king of animals, since his cruelty surpasses the animals'. We live from death of others. We are mobile cemetaries."

Franz Kafka, writer:

"Now I can watch you with a peaceful mind, I don't eat you anymore." (while watching fish in the aquarium)

Paul McCartney, singer:

"We shouldn't eat anything with a face."

Tashi Delek every body,

that's true that to be vegetarian does not mean to be stupid! Einstein said too that it is easier to break an atom than a bias! (no comment.!.. )

what is horrible when people eat meat and fish, is that they take some pleasure (very short iindeed) based on the suffering and the death of sentient beings! but they don't want to think of that; they will find all "good "arguments and have no remorses.

---

They never ask themselves if what they do is good or bad; they are just craving for their daily drug ! eating dead flesh (animal or human) is totally disgusting ! by the way the cannibal tribes developped the Crotzfeld Jacob syndrom or illness of the fool cow! As lama Zopa Rinpoche says human beings and animals are the same family!

vegetarian can talk around them; even if people don't change now, a seed had been planted...

with much love and prayer

ani Chönyi

How does Buddhism look on eating egg? Is that also killing? What are the karmic effects of that? :dontknow:
My biology knowledge is lousy, but as far I know, a hen does not need a cock to produce an egg, so eating 'industrial' eggs, the ones you buy in a supermarket, could hardly cause any harm (to another being), as hens for laying eggs would normally be kept separate from the hens and cocks used for breeding; so eggs should not be at all fecundated, and thus there should be no sentient being in it...

They are however on the list of à¢-Ëœblack food', if I am not mistaking, and therefore to be avoided on special days;