Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TUBI

Praying for others

Tashi Delek,

In city where I live I always see a lot of very poor people. I usually help them with some money, but I would like to pray for their happiness and better life. Haw can I do it? I am not Buddhist (jet :) ), so I know only two mantras. Can I use them to pray for others? And if YES haw to do it?

Have nice weekend

TUBI

PS. What does it mean "Tashi Delek"? Is it "halo" in tibetan?

Hi Tubi,

I think it is excellent to help out the poor by handing them money, it can become one of the 6 paramitas, Generosity :) , but it has to be done with a specific state of mind if it is to be truly called generosity in the Buddhist sense... Buddhist generosity is not at all your regular, ordinary day to day generosity...

If I remember it correctly (or at least not too terribly :))) , I think that when you give something to someone, of course you must do it without expecting anything in return, but also you must try and keep in mind that all parties involved, the giver, the receiver and the object, are all empty of inherent existence on their own side... Thus, this will allow you not to develop a certain type of attachment to a "generous ego", and to truly create merits by understanding the emptiness behind all illusory phenomena which we are confronted with...

If giving is to become truly beneficial, it must be practiced accordingly and once you have created merits by giving thus, it is best that you dedicate these to the 3 jewels and to all sentient beings in general... and to seal the dedication with a thought on emptiness (even the three jewels are empty of inherent existence...). These are the words of Lama Zopa Rinpoche I believe...

To try and give an answer to your second question, every morning when you wake up you can dedicate all your actions of the day to the liberation of all sentient beings, who were all your kind mother once (... generation of Bodhicita) and thus all your actions of the day will take on true meaning and will be truly beneficial to all sentient beings... When you eat, you can dedicate your food to the three Jewels also! Reciting Mantras like "OM MANI PADME HOUNG" and again dedicating the merits this creates to all sentient beings, will also be beneficial to all sentient beings!

Finally, yes, as far as I know, Tashi Delek is a way of greeting someone, and also the way to say "cheers" before having a drink...

Very kind regards

Maybe it also depends which (whose) beggars you mean and see?! Anyway, there is a possibility for direct action. Find a beggar in you or of you. Through contemplating on this and understanding of a situation share the experience and apply it to others (situation).

The Buddha Shakyamuni taught the following to his son Rahula*:

"Rahula, practice loving kindness to overcome anger. Loving kindness has the capacity to bring happiness to others without demanding anything in return.

Practice compassion to overcome cruelty. Compassion has the capacity to remove the suffering of others without expecting anything in return.

Practice sympathetic joy to overcome hatred. Sympathetic joy arises when one rejoices over the happiness of others and wishes others well-being and success.

Practice non-attachment to overcome prejudice. Non-attachment is the way of looking at all things openly and equally. This is because that is. Myself and others are not separate. Do not reject one thing only to chase after another.

I call these the four immeasurables. Practice them and you will become a refreshing source of vitality and happiness for others."

The four immeasurables are found in one brief and beautiful prayer:

May all sentient beings have happiness and its causes,

May all sentient beings be free of suffering and its causes,

May all sentient beings never be separated from bliss without suffering,

May all sentient beings be in equanimity, free of bias, attachment and anger.

May beggars be free from misery…

*(from "Old path white clouds" by Thich Nhat Hahn)