Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  

The 5 Dhyani Buddhas

Tashi Delek,

I got interested in the five Dhyani Buddhas and found out that I know more details then the basis. :lol: Can you tell what does 'Dhyani' mean? What the five Buddhas basicaly represent? With which/ what kind of pracites are they connected to? What are these practices beneficial for? In what way are the five Buddhas connected to the Bardo state? :roll: I think this is all for now. :wink:

Thank you for the answer in advance, :)

Khandro

Guest lodreu

Tashi Delek,

According to Tibetan Buddhism, the Dhyanis Buddhas are emanations of the original Buddhas, under different aspects or types of activities.

The five we usually know (although 7 are also counted), are representing each of them a certain Buddha "family", they are : Vairocana (the Illuminator), Aksobhya (the Unperturbable), Ratnasambhava (the Jewel-Born), Amitabha (the Infinite Light), and Amoghasiddhi (the Unfailing Success).

They can/should be considered as meditation support to realize or actualize the transformation of polluted aspects of our Mind into causes for Enlightenment. This is possible through different practices, visualizing Buddhas under the form/color/attributes of the 5 Dhyanis Buddhas. They can also take different forms, like Mitrugpa which is a form of Akshobya.

As a sign of their high realization some beings manifest at the moment of the death relics of the five Dhyanis Buddhas. As the late Lama Konchog manifested among all the different relics, five pearls of each color of the Dhyanis Buddhas.

Best regards,

Lodreu.

Thank you very much for the answers. :P

I have some more questions:

The five we usually know (although 7 are also counted)
Can you tell who are the 6th and the 7th Dhyanis Buddha and what do they represent? Is number seven connected to 7 days of life of a Bardo body? :?:

As a sign of their high realization some beings manifest at the moment of the death relics of the five Dhyanis Buddhas.
I still don't understand the relation between death and the Dhyanis Buddhas, but it seems that there is a close connection.

- Why not with other enlightened beings? :o (If any enlightened being encompasses everything there is, it would be logical, wouldn't it? I can see the importance of yidam deity during death process, but, if I understand right, this is a general role for all the Buddhas that can be seen as yidams, while the Dhyanis Buddhas are concrete aspects of enlightened mind, often written in the texts about death&dying.)

- Is their connection to dying process related only to the practitioners, who have practiced their saddhanas and gained sufficient knowledge? :?

- I have come across them only at the topic of death&dying. What other kind of topics / practices do they cover? 8O

different practices, visualizing Buddhas under the form/color/attributes of the 5 Dhyanis Buddhas. They can also take different forms, like Mitrugpa which is a form of Akshobya.

- :idea: The five Buddhas all together seem to me like a mandala. Would you agree with it?

- :roll: Are mandalas dynamic or static or both or none?

- What do you mean with "original Buddhas"?

It's obvious that I miss a lot of knowledge here. :oops: Thank you for your patience in advance. :)

Best regards, Khandro