Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
draftsman

How to recite two specific mantras?

Tashi Delek,

I have a few questions regarding two mantras: Buddha Sakyamuni's (OM MUNI MUNI MAHA MUNAYE SOHA) and the mantra, which is quoted in the heart sutra (OM GATE GATE PARAGATE PARASAMGATE BODHI SOHA).

1. Can they be recited by anyone or just by people having e.g. some special initiation?

2. Are there any special visualizations or something else one should do during the recitation or should one just visualize a specific Buddha (which one in the case of the second mantra?) with white, red, blue light coming from his OM AH and HUM and a subsequent dissolution?

3. In what kind of situations are they especially helpful and what are their primary effects? I noticed that when reciting Buddha Sakyamuni's mantra, I become more agitated or at least I don't become more relaxed. Perhaps only my personal experience :cry:

Thank You.

Best regards,

Draftsman

Tashi delek, :hello:

1. Can they be recited by anyone or just by people having e.g. some special initiation?

2. Are there any special visualizations or something else one should do during the recitation or should one just visualize a specific Buddha (which one in the case of the second mantra?) with white, red, blue light coming from his OM AH and HUM and a subsequent dissolution?

3. In what kind of situations are they especially helpful and what are their primary effects? I noticed that when reciting Buddha Sakyamuni's mantra, I become more agitated or at least I don't become more relaxed. Perhaps only my personal experience  :cry:

To my knowledge mantras which are written down in Sutras you can recite without initiation. But it would be good to have the lung ( reading transmission ) for it.

If you want to know how to visualize, this is something because of what you should turn to a teacher and not ask it in a forum .A teacher, a good one knows your mind, inclinations, he has the transmission for the mantra and he has a certain realisation. Lineage is important for being able to realize something and that the practice is not going in wrong direction, and lineage you can`t get from a book nor from a forum.

According meditation experiences, this is also something which belongs in the field of an teacher, who has experience and knows your mind. You can share of course your meditation experiences with other practitioners, but as long they do not have some realisation, they might won`t be able really to judge if your experience is good or not,

, what you should do differently, or if it is good for you to stopp or not.

But generally it is adviced to keep ones mediation experiences secret, as talking about it can inflaute you with pride or you create obstacles for your own spiritual development, or the dakinis become angry, or you cause others to be jealous who do not have same experiences as you have. Actually strictly speaking, meditation experiences should just be shared with your teacher, then you develop much faster.

Concerning meditational experiences, this is something on which not much emphasis is placed on, as you should go beyond judging your meditation experiences. They come and go, change all the time. Sometimes they are pleasant,or you have beautiful halluzinations then you develop desire for it, and then they can be awful and painful, then you develop aversion to it.

Then meditation experiences are becoming a trap for you, because your meditation practice is there for to overcome desire and aversion and not for to increase those. So sometimes mediation experiences are called therefore inner obstacles.Therefore in your meditation you should not worry about your experiences, just recognize them but don`t judge them, don`t try to push them a way, nor try to prolong them.

So you don`t need to worry about them, nevertheless it is important to report them to your teacher that he can lead you.

With all my best wishes

Csillag

Tashi Delek,

In the "Essence of the Heart Sutra" by His Holiness there is an explanation that goes something like this:

"TADYATHA: (OM) GATE GATE PARAGATE PARASAMGATE BODHI SOHA" literally means: "As follows: go, go (gate, gate), go beyond, go totally beyond, be rooted in the ground of Enlightenment".

It symbolizes also the five paths of spiritual progression: "gate, gate" refer to the path of accumulation and preparation; "paragate" refers to the path of seeing or vision (reached once Emptiness is directly perceived); "parasamgate" refers to the path of meditation; "bodhi soha" refers to Buddhahood.

To read more about the paths and the grounds, here is a wonderful explanation by Geshe Rabten Rinpoche: http://www.fpmt.org/teachings/more/5paths_rabten.asp

Second, the mantra of Guru Shakyamuni Buddha; it means literally:

As follows: OM to the Sage, the Sage, the Great Sage, SVAHA

So, its meaning is like a praise, to the Founder.!:!

Hope this helps in some way, although it doesn't answer the questions directly. :v

Best regards,

Khyenrab

Tashi Delek,

Thanks to everyone, who answered. :lol:

If anyone still has the answer to the second and third question (see the first post), please don't hesitate to share it :lol: .

About the visualizations: as far as I know (and my knowledge is quite limited :oops: ), not all of the visualizations are "secret". About the mediation experience: again with my limited knowledge - just saying that reciting the mantra makes one agitated is hopefully not too personal - at least I hope so :<

Best regards,

Draftsman

Tashi Delek,

I find your experience paradoxical compared to my personal knowledge of the Dharma. I'll explain, in the Lam Rim practices, you are supposed to recite Lord Shakyamouni's mantra just before you start the medidation, as it is in fact supposed to sooth your agitated mind and place you in the best possible conditions to meditate... Once I read on the Internet (and I can't seem to find the page anymore :cry: ...ah! impermanence...:wink:) that the mantra also meant "Control, control, full control" or something like that, relating to the control of the mind... So I am rather surprised that your mind gets agitated when you pronounce the mantra... But maybe venerable Lama Shenphen Rinpoche can come to the rescue on that one :P

Best regards,

Hello Draftsman;

Regarding the 3the point one can say that this mantra is used for:

The increasing of wisdom

Can allaways be repeated before the study.

Tsultrim

Tashi Delek Tsultrim,

Regarding the 3the point one can say that this mantra is used for: The increasing of wisdom. Can allaways be repeated before the study.

Thank You :lol:. Actually, these days I have plenty of opportunities to recite it :wink:, together with the Manjushri mantra of course.

Best regards,

Draftsman