Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
lacu

zen retreat

Recently I went for a one day zen retreat .I was told to to be aware of the feeling when I breath in and out at the nostrils .I was to be aware about the feeling when I am walking when I lift up my leg and when the foot touches the ground . I was told to be aware of the feeling of the food in my mouth .Why are we doing all this ?Buddhism teaching is about eradicating our 3 poisons and increase our compassion and wisdom .I want to have a complete understanding why we are doing all this and hw does this awareness of the feeling of breathing , walking and eating link to eradicating our 3 poisons and increase our compassion and wisdom .

Tashi Delek,

Quite simple in fact, at least from my understanding of the Dharma. Trying to keep awareness of everything you do, at all times, fixes your mind in the present, so it is not dragged away by thoughts about the past or the future... It is anchored in the present, unagitated! You will find that this is true vacation for the mind, because otherwise, our minds are constantly agitated by this or that thought and we don't even realize it, as it is such a natural state for us... Zen Buddhism is all about controlling the agitated mind, by making it just being there, now... :)

Guest Ani.Chödrön
hw does this awareness of the feeling of breathing , walking and eating link to eradicating our 3 poisons and increase our compassion and wisdom .

... and just being there, now, makes you more aware of the needs of the others and the state of your mind. Compassionate awareness about the others makes us wish to develop wisdom to act in the most beneficial way, and awarenss of the turbulences of our mind makes us wish to purify, pacify and open our mind. Awareness is the basis for managing our mind so that we can help ourself and the others. :)

With all the best wishes,

chödrön

Tashi Delek!

My first touch with the Dharma was the Zen Tradition. Its basic practice is Zazen (just sitting, doing nothing), during which you must try not to think of anything but "here and now". As it is written, the poisonous agitation of the mind only derives from matters belonging wether to the past or the future. Given that the past is over and the future is still non-existant, the only thing that exists is now: what you feel, smell, think,etc.

It makes you feel each moment unique so that you will not spoil it! Concentration and focussing abilities grow stronger.

With much respect, chabi