Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mavrica

entering a different religion than your traditional one

Tashi Delek,

In one of the interviews with HH the DalaiLama (has to be an old one because it was published in a book in 1993) I came across this question: "millions of westerners are attracted to the path of Dharma and so they are losing interest in their own religious tradition. is this good or bad?"

HH the DalaiLama answered that there are two phenomena - some keep the faith in their prime religion and only accept some of the practices of another religion. he says this is very good. but others want to enter another religion completely and this phenomena is very dangerous. such persons should think it over very thoroughly, because it is not natural to undercut your own roots. if you do this very quickly, it often derives out of bitterness and disappointment toward your prime religion. then you become very critical toward your prime religion which is very bad, as it destroys the very spirit of religion, which is tolerance, wisdom and love.

I understand this statement as a warning against too hasty decisions (especially for those which derive from the negative attitude toward a prime religion). when entering a religion, you need to take into consideration all the obligations and respect that comes along.

but in many people's opinion it is not good to mix practices of different religions. so how could than that be good as HH stated? :<

could it be like this, for example - in my prime religion I was baptised in a Catholic Church, but I didn't find answers to my questions in the frame of that Church. (of course I respect all who did find them and I still have a big respect to churches as holy temples.) I found them in Buddhism.

as I am living on a countryside where the Catholic tradition is still very strong, many people go to church. I have to admit that I miss such a place as a buddhist temple or centre where I could go daily. :( and even though I never considered myself as being religious in a Catholic way, I often went to church when it was empty, because I enjoyed the peaceful environment it offered.

so does that mean that I can also go to the church (as the sacred temple, not in the time of holy mass) for the time of some of my meditations :rules: or such "mixing" is not allowed?

thank you for your opinion.

Tashi Delek!

I doubt that the energies of consecrated Catholic Churches combine well with Buddhist meditation.

But if you live in the countryside, you may find a peaceful environment in nature, which may be much more "compatible".

All the best.

Tashi delek,

I understand this statement as a warning against too hasty decisions

Surely, one shall take time before to engage into a religion, as one shall not mix the basic principles of different religions.

For example, Buddhism doesn't beleive in a God creator. So, you can't say to be Buddhist and still believe in a God Creator, this would contradict the law of Karma...

in my prime religion I was baptised in a Catholic Church, but I didn't find answers to my questions in the frame of that Church.

I cannot accept that to baptize a baby makes him/her a Christian or even a Catholic. When did s/he choose it? Engagement into a religion should be a choice, not imposed.

Tradition is one thing; religion is an other one. The trick of some religions is to mix both in order to show higher numbers of followers.

Something similar does apply to Tibetan Buddhism. It is not because you agree and follow Tibetan Buddhism that you have to 'become Tibetan', speak the language, eat same food, etc... On one side you have Tibetan culture and traditions, on the other side you have Buddhism. Of course, in Tibet it's all mix, but it doesn't mean that it has to be like this in other countries.

I'm born in the West. I feel no root with Catholic Church; though I know and understand them. I was Tibetan in past, yet my life today is not made of Tibetan culture. I am not a culture or an other. My mind is filled with my Buddhist motivation, Bodhisattva ideal. This is far enough, no? ;)

I have to admit that I miss such a place as a buddhist temple or centre where I could go daily.  :(

We are actively working on this ;) We are looking for a land. And as soon as we find one, we can start to build the Temple. But it's not easy to find a land not far from Ljubljana, else than costing huge amount of Tolars...

so does that mean that I can also go to the church (as the sacred temple, not in the time of holy mass) for the time of some of my meditations or such "mixing" is not allowed?

There is no problem to go to a nice and quiet place ("sacred" or not) to meditate. Old Churches can have a very peaceful energy (if nothing bad happen in it through history, and if the leadder is not fanatic and spreading negative energy in it).

All the best, Gelong T. Shenphen

I doubt that the energies of consecrated Catholic Churches combine well with Buddhist meditation.  

well I have to admit that the energy of any temple (be it buddhist, catholic, moslem or any else) feels very similar to me (perhaps your experience is different) - on most of the places I can find peace and wisdom. I was only wondering whether it was disrespectful toward any of the religions to perform one spiritual act (even if it is not visually noticed - I do it only in my mind) in a place, built for performing spiritual acts of another religion. my feeling tells me that it is okay, but still I wonder :maybe:

one shall not mix the basic principles of different religions.

This I understand. What about the dilemma I find myself in occasionally - using the Catholic symbols, for example making a cross before entering the church. for me it has a meaning in a way of expressing respect when entering the consecrated catholic place. it does not hold a deeper meaning than that to me. so, is it okay to still do it or does it mean I am acting as a pretender to do it?? ://

when you visit a foreign country, you usually learn basic expressions like Hello, Thank you etc. in their language, as this means one way of showing the respect for their culture. you also greet them in a way that it is most respectful for them (their customs are on the first place), not necessarily for you.

so is it the same when entering the consecrated places of other religions or meeting their priests, that you should adapt to their "ways" for the time being because of respect? :?: is there something like a "moral code" on this behaviour?

I was wondering, what do you do when you find yourself in a situation like this?

Guest Ani.Chödrön

Churches are opened to Christians and members of other religions or atheists. A non-Christian wouldn't make a cross, and it is accepted as normal.

Every sign carries a meaning, a historically developed context; the cross relates to the interpretation of the Christ, according to the Christian religion.

Best regards, chodron

Tashi Delek!

Sometimes I find myself in outer or inner places which could be somehow known to me. In these cases a feeling of being natural arises. In unknown places I don`t feel natural. They make me feel ultranatural.

Best regards,

Simona