Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
lacu

Meditation

I try meditation and there are several strong thoughts come :

why are you harming me ?

why are you always bothering me and pls stop poking your nose into my business ?

I was told when thoughts arises during meditation one just let go .My question is after meditation how should we deal with Athis thoughts or we do not deal with it .We just leave it .If that is the case we just leave it and do not question our thoughts then no matter how many times we meditate we will never see the faults on oneself .We may have awareness on our thoughts but we did not work on oneself .

It is said that meditation is about understanding oneself , understanding our own mind .

Thank you to all the people who have taken the precious time to answer my questions in the past as well in the future .

Dear lacu,

There are many good books that can guide your practice of meditation that you can study; I would particularly recommend those by His Holiness the Dalai Lama.

Indeed, the purpose of meditation is to understand the mind, how it works, the ways it responds. The idea is to tame it and eventually to set the mind free. The goal (for lack of a better word) is to create a lot of space in the mind, to eradicate all self-grasping and consequent self-cherishing thought patterns or emotional habits.

As Arya Shantideva says: "All the happiness in this world arises from cherishing others and all suffering arises from self-cherishing."

And as Khyabje Lama Zopa Rinpoche says: "Real happiness in life begins when you start cherishing others."

So, if thoughts like "Why are you harming me?" come and don't let you be, I think you should ask, analyze where the thought is coming from. And does it have any value for you or is it making you uneasy, stressed. The idea of meditation is to be relaxed, to find some peace, release. You can try to "breathe it out" once you see that such thoughts do not really help you. You can try to replace them by contemplating on some prayer such as the Four Immeasurables and concentrate on one or two verses like: "May all beings have happiness and its causes. May all beings be free from suffering and its causes." You can do the whole meditation on these two sentences. Or you can read some poetry from saints like Milarepa, memorize a verse and keep it in the mind throughout the whole meditation.

Thoughts that are directed towards helping others should make the mind lighter.

I hope this is of some help to you. :)

Be well.