Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Atreju

Numbers of slaughtered animals in Slovenia

Tashi Delek.

When you kill an animal for your survival...

If we could act every moment in our lives in a direction "not to kill" our lives would be perfect.

I remember from my readings that American Indians had special rituals, by help of which they asked the animals to give them their bodies, in order to make Indians survive. They caught exactely such a number of the animals, they truly need and only those animals, which would die soon, which karma was on to expire soon. Of course, with those animal`s agreement. The motivation was not to kill, yet to survive. Might someone would say that nowadays, the motivation for killing animals is survival also. Yet, if someone is driven by making a profit, the motivation to kill is prevailing and therefore it should be questioned if one is involved in the others structures (social, economic, politics) which destroy lives, too.

All the very best,

Simona {|:)

There is also a difference between a leather jacket, made out of one of two big animals anyhow killed for the meat, and a fur coat from so many small animals raised to be killed for this fur

Tashi Delek,

Yes, I've seen a video concerning these small animals, really terrible, really saddening, they were hit on the head several times in order to be killed, their paws were then cut off and then they were skinned, but some were still alive!!!, still breathing and suffering after such a treatment, even looked on a close up of the camera that one of them was crying from pain and sadness, completely stunned and unable to move :cry:, it was in some poor country and I guess the men involved did this in order to make a living and thus for survival... But there must be other ways to survive, no??? Because this types of acts is just simply revolting and should be abandonned, even according to non-buddhists standards!!! All this sufffering for stupid fur coats for rich people to buy, this is just disgusting... If only they would stop buying this...

Tashi Delek.

But there must be other ways to survive, no???

Everything is connected, everything is ONE. Therefore a survival of single sentient being depends on survival of all the others. In order to survive, it looks like there is a need of being fed.

And here are three questions I would like to get answers, being aware that all my acting origine within myself:

1. with what I am being fed?

2. what kind of hunger is that I am feeding?

3. what do I offer in return? If?

Best regards,

Simona :%

Everything is connected, everything is ONE. Therefore a survival of single sentient being depends on survival of all the others. In order to survive, it looks like there is a need of being fed.  

And here are three questions I would like to get answers, being aware that all my acting origine within myself:

1. with what I am being fed?

2. what kind of hunger is that I am feeding?  

3. what do I offer in return? If?

1. We're feeding on the planet's resources, wether vegetal, mineral, animal or human (and by human I not only mean man-made food and material products, but also and most importantly intellectual food such as litterature, sciences, cultures, sports and of course spiritualism, which quenches our various thirsts for knowledge, going beyond human limits, understanding mankind and the universe we live in, mastering the environment so it fits human needs, and improving our lives...).

2. I would say that it really depends on each individual's karma and level of ignorance (human desires and cravings are infinite, some are hungry for being hepful to others and making others' lives better, others for money and power, others for recognition, others for friendship, love or both, others for sex, others for drugs, others for research and breakthroughs, and so on, ad infinitum...). Generally speaking, we have physical, spiritual and intellectual hunger, not necessarily in that order. These hungers are all fueled by our human bodies and the fact that our minds are constantly unsatisfied and always searching for everlasting satisfaction. Let it be known that any type of hunger can become spiritual if it embraces the awakening spirit, Bodhicitta.

3. If fed with the right set of mind, Bodhicitta, an enormous amount of merit. If it's only an "ego trip", really not much (since not much is there indeed!). Generally speaking, we should try to offer as much as we can from ourselves without bringing suffering upon others nor thinking about what we can get from it in return, and merits will thus naturally accumulate. By selflessly attempting to make other sentient beings's lives better, the qualities of our minds will blossom, and our capacities to bring happiness will increase... But we shouldn't forget to dedicate all our merits to the liberation of all sentient beings, and to seal this dedication with a thought on emptiness, otherwise they will just come back to our consciousness and in future lives, we'll enjoy such happy rebirths that it will be difficult or impossible for us to make any spiritual progress towards liberation from cyclic existence...

Best regards,

Tashi Delek Dear Rinpoche,

this is a bit out of the way...maybe more for the 'Healing' section but, can you please tell me what there is to be regularly checked in blood and maybe urine too (proteine?) by a vegetarian, besides iron?

Thank you.

Pamo