Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
just_me

Lamas, Root Guru and Lineages

Well, that topic seems broad and vague. Sorry for that.

Here's a hypothetical situation (and we all know that this means that it is my experience, but i am trying to generalize to include other similar instances). Let's say someone has a teacher who has pretty much always been there for them and with whom they feel closeness, but they (for whatever reasons) become geographically distant from each other. The person also has some affinity for another of the lineages and the only local accessible Lama is of that other lineage. So, she goes there and receives teachings and instruction there. The closeness and connection with the other teacher is very much intact (except physically, obviously). However, when doing practices for this "new" (to her) lineage, she is advised that the central figure should be the teacher from whom the teaching came (which makes a certain amount of sense). Some of the visualizations (refuge tree for example) are quite different, so it is important to follow the new instructions. The central figure in these visualizations is called the root guru. If she has always pretty much considered the first person her root guru, how does she reconcile that? Have one for each lineage or have the new one be the "root of this teaching" guru?

I do have a way of making things complicated, don't i? :)

Does that make any sense?

I am pretty much specifically referring to basic practice visualizations, like the refuge tree, here. With implied questions on Lamas and Root Guru and the use of that term in visualizations (basic ones, like refuge and merit field stuff).

Thank you!

me

Hello "just-you"! :D

The concept of "root Guru" is beyond lineage. Once you have a "tsawai lama" (root Lama), if you happen to go to an other lineage for the practices and teaching, 1) you still can keep your usual Refuge Tree or 2) you can visualize the new Refuge Tree with still your Root Lama as the centre figure. Where is the problem? No problem ;)

This whole idea that lineages have big differences is useless and wrong. The shape might differs, the order of prayers, the superficial emphasize might be different... but once established into the practice, the goal is the same, the motivation is the same, etc... Different wrappers, one taste! ;)

All the best, Gelong SHenphen

Hello "just-you"! :D

Hello, Lama.la! :D

The concept of "root Guru" is beyond lineage. Once you have a "tsawai lama" (root Lama), if you happen to go to an other lineage for the practices and teaching, 1) you still can keep your usual Refuge Tree or 2) you can visualize the new Refuge Tree with still your Root Lama as the centre figure. Where is the problem? No problem ;)

Ah, the "except in your head" thing again! :wink: Lama, for ngöndro, then, it would be the second one, i think, yes? That practice is structured for the other visualization, although i imagine it could... hmmm... I'll have to study that a bit. If ever school ends i will also chat with the Lama giving me the instructions. I just find western terms to be generic somehow. Then i mess myself up.

This whole idea that lineages have big differences is useless and wrong. The shape might differs, the order of prayers, the superficial emphasize might be different... but once established into the practice, the goal is the same, the motivation is the same, etc... Different wrappers, one taste! ;)

They are all Dharma. Yes, this i know. Different styles for different beings with different preferences and such. I just... it's been a long year. :?

Part of me wonders at the necessity of going there and doing this at all. But, i think that direct contact with a teacher in person is probably the thing i lack most and perhaps something i should work on. I have had such obstacles around this... Ah, karma.

So, Lama, once that connection is established, is it better not to do what i am doing? You know the other junk in my head. At some point i will return to the original lineage, i think, anyway. (Darth Vader voice: It is your destiny. :) ) I know that. You know that. I'm just not there yet. Better to not jump too deep elsewhere? I have strong connections here, too. Ah, there i go again. :P Silly me, always making mountains out of mustard seeds and seeing as existent that which is merely arising...

I don't want to do the typical Western "Lama shopping" thing. I am not in this to do that, to jump around so i can claim lots of teachers or even lots of teachings. But i think that having a physically present teacher is important somehow.

So, thoughts on that? You don't have to (and won't, i know) say what i should do. Just, in general, which is better: solo study based on teachings received (or distance learning if communication is available) or having a teacher with whom one can sit and talk. The texts favor the latter, i think.

Thank you. I know i am long-winded, but this is an important topic, i think, and one that i also get asked about sometimes. Besides, everyone knows Americans talk too much! :lol:

Thank you again!

me