Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Simona

Creator and destiny

Tashi Delek, Atreju.

You wrote that a man is a sole creator of his own destiny.

First of all, there is no man, who would exist by himself or independently and there is no destiny, which would exist by itself. There is karma, yet it does not exist by itself, neither. What does exist is an energy, and even here is a warning to not consider it as a definite entity! As far as I understand it is not the energy, which exist, yet, it is "something" that makes an energy to exist. And, then further, it is not that "something" which exist neither, yet it is "something else" that makes exist that "something" first. We could go deeper, but better stop here to not get dizzy.

But, on the first glimpse, yes...it looks like that a man is a sole creator of his own destiny.

Best regards,

Simona {|:)

Tashi Delek,

First of all, there is no man, who would exist by himself or independently and there is no destiny, which would exist by itself. There is karma, yet it does not exist by itself, neither.

Karma do exist because there are minds to make it to functions. It surely doesn't exist by itself. Yet, it is dependant from the consciousness.

The reality we do observe, including our sense of "I", doesn't exist from it's own side, but is the result of what we have been creating through the law of cause and effect.

The question of the origine of the consciousness is not exposed clearly in Buddhism, most probably because our mind cannot understand it. And it is useless to reach Enlightenment... from which we will have the answer to that question :) and all others :))

Yet, the law of cause and effect contradict the existence of a "creator". Because then: "who would have created the creator"?? ;)

All the best, Gelong T. Shenphen

Tashi Delek.

The question of the origine of the consciousness is not exposed clearly in Buddhism, most probably because our mind cannot understand it.

I have a need to be understood. As it is said, first understand, to be understood. Yet, could one really understand oneself? When I do not understand myself (it is a state in which I participate all the time), it is a sign to change the point of view, it is a pointing direction...in its final form an enlightement.

Till then I will rely on that merely the other beings from the universe do understand me. Cause, at least their time, from where they originate, differs from the time of human beings and if they are visiting the Earth, maybe they are getting younger, which means they "travel" in to future. They can see farther as I can.

Best regards,

Tashi Delek,

Till then I will rely on that merely the other beings from the universe do understand me. Cause, at least their time, from where they originate, differs from the time of human beings and if they are visiting the Earth, maybe they are getting younger, which means they "travel" in to future. They can see farther as I can.

The "other beings" in the universe do have the same type of consciouness. Whoever they are - unless they are Arhat, Bodhisattva, or Buddha - they are in Samsara, under the law of cause and effects.

We shall only rely on Buddhas as object of Refuge, as only they can have the full understanding, of all beings and all phenomena.

And we shall also understand that Buddhas have been human beings before. State they did transcend to become fully Enlightened. No matter who we are now, where we are now, if we walk the Path, we can reach Buddhahood!

Tashi Delek.

The "other beings" in the universe do have the same type of consciouness.

There is a little problem regarding to that type of consciousness. Is consciousness about "being" or "thinking"? Maybe, we just think that we are thinking, cause it is in the nature of thinking to think? Does this mean, that we don`t think at all? And maybe, we just are, cause it is in the nature of being, to be? Does this mean, that...mhm...

...better not to finish this question on the conventional level.

Best regards,

Tashi Delek,

There is a little problem regarding to that type of consciousness. Is consciousness about "being" or "thinking"?

From the well known author, I would say "I think, so I am"... ;) Indeed, we are what we do think. What else could we be? The perception the others have of ourselves is their own projection and karmic construction.

The way we do perceive ourselves is also a karmic process, as long as we do believe that we do exist from an inherent point of view.

Untill we do have a deluded perceptions of the phenomena's existence, we do think in a deluded way. Once Emptiness Realised, and further Enlightenment, we still think, but our thoughts are not deluded, just Wisdom!

...better not to finish this question on the conventional level.

On which other level then?

Tashi Delek.

Indeed, we are what we do think.

If we are about the "thinking", how would be possible then to reach the "being", an Enlightenment, as an Enlightenment is not about "thinking", yet about "being"? No?

Here are some words of Shunryu Suzuki (Zen Mind Beginners Mind):

"Even though it is impossible, we have to do it because our true nature wants us to. But actually, whether or not it is possible is not the point. If it is our inmost desire to get rid of our self-centered ideas, we have to do it. When we make this effort our inmost nature is appeased and Nirvana is there".

Best regards,

Tashi Delek.

If we are about the "thinking", how would be possible then to reach the "being"?

"Mountains, rivers, earth, the sun, the moon and the stars ARE MIND.

At just this moment, WHAT IS it that appears directly in front of you?"

Tanahashi, K. (1985) Moon in a Dewdrop: Writings of Zen Master Dogen. San Francisco: North Point Press.

Best regards,

Simona

If we are about the "thinking", how would be possible then to reach the "being"?

Hello everybody,

As says His Holiness, it would be problematic if the "creator" and its "creation" were the same thing!

Actually there are 2 kind of mental perceptions: direct and indirect.

Ideas, thoughts, concepts are merely names or labels; they are indirect perceptions because inferential, conceptual views perceived through the "filter" of a generic image.

This way of knowlege is partial, incomplete, erroneous - the image is not the object, is it?

what we perceive is like a "dream", without true existence.

But a Bouddha has no more this kind of ordinary and limited mental consciousness.

he can directly perceive all entities and not intellectually (designation).

Then reality is no more an erroneous concept. As he doesn't "think, there is no more "gap" between the object and himself : he "is" this reality.

His mental continuum is completely pure, free of negative imprints and deluded views.

This result is obtained by developping concentration or calm abiding - to end mental perturbations- and analytic meditation - to eradicate ignorance-on topics such as impermanence, suffering, law of causality, precious rebirth, compassion, equanimity, emptiness...

At the begining we get only a vague understanding of them, then little by little the concepts loose their importance and finally can emerge a true realisation.

The mind is so poweful indeed, than it can lead us where we want to go: to samsara or to nirvana....but without peaceful mind and the vision of non-inherent existence linked to universal compassion, we cannot obtain freedom and happiness!

What is your choice? Guess what is mine?... :wink:

Best regards

Ani Chönyi :

Tashi Delek.

Thinking and all the thoughts I am producing are some kind of a master plan, which brings me support and comfort, something to rely on. In the moments, in which thinking is "dead", I feel so incomplete and vulnerable, there is nothing to rely on, no protection at all. Usually, I experienced a horror in such moments, so I don`t know yet how is to BE, without thinking. And, I guess that will be the state, in which I will find myself after dying. I should to get used how is to BE alive and then after I will be able to get used how is to BE dead. Yet, the things are getting better. I don`t feel a horror any more as before. But there is still some unpleasant feeling presented, which is bearable now. I am doing a little, little progress. Do I have so called existence crisis?

Best regards,

Simona

Guest Ani.Chödrön

Tashi Delek dear Simona!

In the moments, in which thinking is "dead", I feel so incomplete and vulnerable, there is nothing to rely on, no protection at all.

This is most probably a good sign. :D We do rely on conceptual reality so much and for so long that we dread of loosing the chains of the samsara net. It is natural to fear it. It takes time and patience to get used to it. A glimpse of it now, a glimpse of it then and a lot of shine, analysis and compassion to all the others who suffer of the same “blindness syndrome”. :-p :wink:

And, I guess that will be the state, in which I will find myself after dying.

It is not only the experience of dying but also a meditative experience which can take place in your everyday life, especially during the meditation on Emptiness. :)

I should to get used how is to BE alive and then after I will be able to get used how is to BE dead.

I don’t find much difference between being alive and being dead – it is the same stream of consciousness - the same reality arising from Emptiness, being empty of intrinsic existence. l-)

But there is still some unpleasant feeling presented, which is bearable now.

;-F

Do I have so called existence crisis?

:-G Maybe, I don’t know, but I would call it the opposite. :D Because, to be able to loosen the grip of clinging to samsara and to allow our mind to experience the more subtle states in fact takes a bit of preparation – a certain amount of stability and strength. And i find relying on a Spirtual Guide here very important. !:!

All the very best,

chödrön

Tashi Delek,

Yes, indeed in samsara we experiment a lot of sufferings...

By applying the Buddha's teachings, thinking again and again of the luck to be reborn in human realm and got in touch with Dharma, helps us to be conscious of this rare opportunity to free ourselves from suffering.

At the same time, we have to train to see everything as "empty" of intrinsic existence , even the "I".

More the feeling of an absolute 'I" is strong, more we develop attachment to it.

Attachment is the exageration of the qualities of the object apprehended by the mind.

So we give so much importance to ourself than we are afraid to loose it, to die.

All we have to let are mere mental elaborations, delusions.

Death is not as horrible as our cherishing-self whispers to us...

Every result depends of anterior causes. If we train in this life developing concentration, virtous mental factors and merits, if we meditate on impermanency, karma, bodhicitta, emptiness... we will have a peaceful death and a good rebirth.

We have to begin right now our practice and perseverate, because we don't kwow when we'll die and find again this specific connection!

It is necessary not only to reflect intellectually on the lack of true existence of any entity most of the time but to meditate on this concept.

It is logical to experiment fears in meditation, because we try not to let the mind grasp so often to its usual schemes. Because of ancient habits it is difficult indeed to "let" down this process for we give up a world which "seems" secure.

That new way of seeing requires time, day after day... We need rivers of patience.

Indeed we fear freedom (because we are not used to)!

When we experiment fear, it is good to focus on our breath, put our attention on it and come back to it each time we wander : it is like to train our musles in some kind of sport! Here we train a very subtle body!... :wink: we cannot observe our breathing and thoughts at the same time :)

We can rely on the Three Jewels because they are faultless: that is a great and secure support. For that we take refuge in them . They are the best protection we can hope.

The same here: we have to train, investigate, check the Buddha's teachings. Once we "know" that they are reliable, faith has been developped until we are certain of their infaillibility and efficiency.

That gives us strength and let us continue on the Path with joyous effort :lol:and courage.

At the beginning, we must do an effort - it is good then to remember us all the qualities of the Dharma-

Because all the negative imprints on our mind stream, we must perseverate a long time.

But what is a long time in this life compared to the amount of useless and unhappy anterior lives?...

If we know the goal, if we keep it in mind, if we have a qualified spiritual master, there will not emerge big difficulties.

Don't worry, be happy 8)

Best Regards

Ani Cheunyi

Tashi Delek, Simona :)

I should to get used how is to BE alive and then after I will be able to get used how is to BE dead.

Simona

The fastest way to deal with problems is facing them in an upoluted envirioment, might it be in a meditation, practice, whatever you call it (might be just a peacfull place). Just try to make us much effort as you can. Then try to face your problem as it apears. :|

There is also meditation on death and Tibetan book of life and death. This does take some courage, but it is worth of every effort, every step in this direction.

The choice is yours make the best that you can. :wink:

{..}

Holding my fingers crossed for you

Best wishes

Jure

Tashi Delek, dear Ani. Chödrön, dear Ani. Chönyi and dear Jure.

Thank you for all your replies, full of positive energy, which are even more precious as this matter is quite demanding for me. If you will make it, maybe I will make it, too.

Best wishes to all and specially to those, who are dying in this very moment. l-)

Simona :%