Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jure

Offering food and water to pretas

Tashi Delek :*

A few questions in accordance offering food, water and dedicating merits is confusing my mind !

When offering food and water to pretas does the water and food suposed to disapear ?? :loco:

How exactly should water and food be offered in term off vessels ? Does it matter what kind off vessel water and food is in ? :?

The reason why im asking this is cause water and food in my vessels seems to stay (for a day or two) intact. When pretas are taking offered food and water shouldnt there be something to notice when they have taken it ?

:crunch: :crunch:

Since i have found quite a few versions of dedicating merits in different occasions, there seems to be a bit of confusion in my mind. But what i know is that bodhichita is most important. Anyway as far as i know "om ha hung" and reflecting on emptiness of offered gesture, food, merit and myself at the end of dedication is important.

Can we then have one general way of dedicating food, merits etc. for all off phenomena ? :crunch: :<

Regards

Jure

Tashi Delek,

From what I know: when we offer food to the pretas, they benefit from the essence of the food, not physically. Usually the animals finish it. We should not put the offerings on the ground or some filthy place, but on trees or some place nice.

About dedication of merits, here is one explanation by Ven. Lodreu:

http://www.dharmaling.org/Forums/viewtopic/t=40.html

Best regards,

Khyenrab

Tashi Delek, Khyenrab

Thank you very much for your answer

But the question about sealing dedication with emptiness and "om, ha hung" remains !

Best regards, Jure

Tashi Delek,

But the question about sealing dedication with emptiness and "om, ha hung" remains !

This is the purification and transformation mantra. As you recite the three syllables, you visualize them dissolving into the food, and transforming it into pure nectar.

You offer this nectar to the Lamas, Bodhisattvas, and Buddhas. From the 4th tantric class, you also offer it to your inner deity.

Yes, the motivation is the most important.

At the beginning, you offer the meal to the Three Jewels. Motivation: offering the Three Jewels, paying respect, dedicating the strengh you get from the meal to help all sentient beings.

Then, you keep a small portion aside your plate, which you will offer for the pretas after the meal. Motivation: pretas shall be relieved from hunger and thirst, at least for this short period.

By the way, no, the food offered doesn't disappear! :)) You do offer it's essence only...

All the best, Gelong T. Shenphen

Tashi Delek,

By the way, no, the food offered doesn't disappear! :)) You do offer it's essence only...

As always makes sense, thank you for your answer ! {|:)

What about dedicating merits ! For example: we are engaging into a activity which is continous and benefits other sentient beings. Though it is interupted by breaks. Does it make any differance (timewise) whether there are breaks or if we forget to dedicate this merits ?

Or is it more like: As long as I can still remember, and have my mind full of inprints from that activity so it does not make much of a difference.

Because sometimes this would also lead to dedicating merits through out the day and turning into a :roll: :?:

Best Regards, Jure

Guest Ani.Chödrön

Tashi Delek,

What about dedicating merits ! For example: we are engaging into a activity which is continous and benefits other sentient beings. Though it is interupted by breaks. Does it make any differance (timewise) whether there are breaks or if we forget to dedicate this merits ?

As far as i know: the quicker you dedicate the merits, the stronger effect is. So while the mind is still pure, not polluted with disturbing emotions. But it doesn't hurt to dedicate it later. :wink:

Best regards,

chödrön