Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
lacu

Chenrezig practice

In Chenrezig practice , we visualize nectar flow from him and comes to my bodies and all sentient beings negative karma are purified .

1)Can such visualisation really purified my negative karma and sentient beings negative karma ?

2)What is the reasons for doing such visualization ?I want to have the correct and complete understanding when doing such practise .

1)Can such visualisation really purified my negative karma and sentient beings negative karma ?

Tashi Delek,

I believe that the most efficient purification practice you can engage into in order to purify your negative karma is the Dorje Sempa purification practice. Unfortunately, only you can purify your negative karma, noone can purify it for you, otherwise we would already all be delivered as Buddha Shakyamouni would have purified all sentient beings' negative karma.

2)What is the reasons for doing such visualization ?I want to have the correct and complete understanding when doing such practise .

When you visualize Chenrezig like that, you take support on the relative Chenrezig in order to develop the absolute Chenrezig which is already within your mind, but hidden, in a latent stage... Absolute Chenrezig being the union of wisdom (emptiness) and compassion in its most dynamic form. This is why we do such visualization, we need to practice on the relative support in order to touch and develop the absolute inside of us.

There is an excellent book writen by Bokar Rinpotche on the topic, which I just began reading last night actually (and where I got these information), it's called something like "Meditating on Chenrezig", and it explains all aspects of this meditation.

Best regards,

As far as I know, engaging in the Buddhist practices with the correct motivation of loving-kindness and mental tranquility can wipe away huge amounts of negative karma. Visualizations in the practices support their strenght/potency.

If reciting the mantra of Chenrezig has the benefits as taught by Kyabje Zopa Rinpoche, then doing the whole practice of Chenrezig with the correct vizualisations can only have greater effects :)

Benefits of Mani mantra

Best regards,

Khyenrab

In  Chenrezig  practice, we visualize nectar flow from him and comes to my bodies and all sentient beings negative karma are purified ...

2)What is the reasons for doing such visualization ?...

Trikaya is a Sanskrit word used in the Buddhist context to refer to levels of manifestation or activity.

Shakyamuni, the historical Buddha who is generally considered one of many buddhas to have come to the help of sentient beings, is understood to be accessible in various ways. These are called the dharmakaya, samboghakaya, and nirmanakya. They have been translated into English as: truth-body, bliss- or enjoyment-body, and activity-body.

A simplified explanation is that the dharmakaya is the Absolute. It is the source of everything including buddha activity, and is not different from the Void (Skt. shunyata, Emptiness.) It is not usually experienced except by fully realized beings. It is not normally "prayed to," though it is saluted or praised. Its nature is the subject of discussion. The sound Aum (Om) evokes the dharmakaya... In Buddhism, that which it represents is entirely unborn.

The 3 components of this syllable, here in a Tibetan form, can also be understood as the kayas, and also as symbolic of the 3 Jewels.

The samboghakaya (enjoyment body) is rarely experienced. Its manifestation is as described in the images used in visualization, and in stories told of deities. It is Manifestation that permits description, and has been referred to as "timeless communication." The sound Ah, the expression of joyous wonder, is written and used to evoke it.

The nirmanakaya is the third "body." It is the phenomenal world; our reality. The sound Hum, which actually means us in Sanskrit (in Tibetan it is rendered as Hung! ) represents it. It is the here-and-now, with all its future potential.

It may be helpful to think of the three as: abstract, mythic and human realms.

And, if I understood correctly, Buddhas before attaining Buddhahood have been Human beings like us. By realizing the ultimate reality one - they realize those manifestations. And practices I know refer to Buddhas who have taken Bodhisattva vows, like Chenrezig, to stay until Samsaric ocean is emptied. These great beings out of compassion obligate themselves to help. :D

By knowing a little bit about kayas one can easier understand why and how mantras and other liturgical practices are not just words or some ceremonies per se. These are manifestations of holy bodies, speech and minds of Buddhas.

By chanting mantra(s) practitioner actually pray, invoke particular Buddha. And also invoke certain Buddha qualities in his/hers own mind. By visualizing a Buddha one also pray or invoke Buddha and he/she appears in front of us in visualized form. So this visualized form is some kind of possibility for Buddha to manifest, to come to help. “This (visualized) form is than filled with his/hers essence.” So this “nectar” is a blessing and has Buddha qualities. By allowing this “nectar” to flow in to us we receive blessings – the ultimate qualities of this Buddha. By that the devotee’s body, speech and mind can reflect these transcendent wisdom(s). In this way the deluded actions of obscured mind can be – are purified. Oh, Buddhas and Bodhisattvas please stay until Samsaric ocean is emptied and blessed be, dear practitioner