Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pamo

Being a vegetarian

Tashi Delek,

can I please learn from someone who knows what there is to be regularly and most importantly checked in blood and maybe urine too, by a vegetarian?

Thank you.

Pamo

Tashi Delek, dear Pamo.

Maybe this is not a direct answer, but might will help you. One week ago I went together with my friend to the "Zavod RS za transfuzijo krvi" (Institution of Republic of Slovenia for blood transfusion), it is near by maternity hospital in Ljubljana. First they took the blood from a finger to see the group and if the values of it are in the so called normal frames. Then I was also checked by a doctor. My friend, for example had 125g/l of the hemoglobin, which is the demanded limit for a women (for men it is 135g/l) and the doctor decided not to take her blood. She got some tablets and she can come again for blood donation after one month.

Well, I`ve got the report that my blood is B group (they said it is just an orientation of the group) and that my blood is normal. So, I donated my blood and they said me that they will do also a further analyse and precise data about my blood I can get the next time I`ll come.

Meanwhile I was giving my blood, my friend made another test for the donating the medulla (kostni mozeg). They took her one test tube of her blood. And now, she is registered in the international register of the donators of the medulla and when they will need her, they will call her. So, one can test the blood in order to become a donator of the blood, save someone`s life, also being registered in the international register and for the medulla the same.

Best regards,

Simona

Dear Simona,

thank you for replying, but I more wished to learn what there is that meat provides well enough (or maybe not even on its own but in combinations), whereas vegetarians need to get it from fruit and vegetables; what there is that body needs in certain level to feel ok (and meat plays a role in that :) ). Hemoglobin must be one of these...how to name them... my knowledge here is very poor :( .

Best regards,

Pamo

Tashi Delek, dear Pamo.

Hemoglobin must be one of these

And proteins (the lack of them increase the possibility of infections), vitamin B12 can be found in the food of animal sources only (milk and milk products), yet the body doesn`t need it much (if you have been eaten for some time both vegetable and animal food then the reserve of the B12 will do for some years) and calcium, which can be also found in soya, walnuts and figs. I think also the vitamin D should be one of them. Despite of the meat is rich of proteins, iron, B12 and calcium one should be aware that it is rich of pesticides, natural toxins, hormons and other additions, too.

Best regards,

Simona

Tashi Delek dear Simona,

thank you.

So, hemoglobin, proteins, iron;

but the vitamins cannot be really checked, can they? Only lecking or outdoing can be seen or felt...?

Pamo

Tashi Delek, dear Pamo.

As far as I know, vitamins can be found in the blood. But usually the blood is not tested of their presence. And there could be another problem, that one can get enough value of the vitamins, yet it is not absorbed well in the body. I know that the vitamin C enlarge the absorbtion of the iron in the body. And what enlarge the absorbtion of the vitamin B12 (it is also found in the algae - spirulina and chlorela) in the body, I don`t know. Jigme, could you help us here, please?

Best regards,

Simona

Tashi Delek, Pamo

So, hemoglobin, proteins, iron;

but the vitamins cannot be really checked, can they? Only lecking or outdoing can be seen or felt...?

Pamo

You might try a offering food practice, it is also described in the Teachings in the Vajrasatva retreat, Lama Zopa Rinpoche.

Meditating on food you eat makes things less complicated :)

Best wishes

Jure

Hello Jure,

:D that's an advice! I am getting aquainted with this practice, but, will it give me this above asked information? I mean, I could use it for myself and as well to create a stable view within myself about being a vegetarian and stand behind it. I have been one for quite some time, but obviously I still am shaky within myslef that even children, for example, do not need animal proteins (apart from those in dairy products and eggs), for their healthy development and growth. I work with them. I have been shared many stories of people bringing up their children in this way and all went well, but I have also heard stories where things got complicated, though maybe that was not the reason. Who knows. Even myself, sometimes I feel of low energy, and then I wonder...what if... :maybe:

But,

Meditating on food you eat makes things less complicated :)

I will take this very seriously :wink: since .... ! ai, these attachments of mine... ! {..}

All the very best,

Pamo

Tashi Delek, Pamo

will it give me this above asked information?  

If this is an advice from Lama Zopa i do follow it wit sincere trust. You might check it or leave it. :wink: But remember it does take time and devotion. {..}

I have been shared many stories of people bringing up their children in this way and all went well, but I have also heard stories...

Pamo

What are stories ? :<

l-)

Best wishes

Jure

dear Pamo,

I have been vegetarian for over 6 years now (though I still include fish, eggs and milk products in my diet) and I've never had any problems with anaemia or any other lack of anything essential in my blood. I regularly take tests (once a year), I go to the doctor and tell him I would like to make regular testing and inform him that I am a vegetarian. I believe the doctor should take concern in that and will know which tests to make to see your blood is okay.

I have to admit though, that I have not been too careful with making "appropriate food combinations" since I stopped eating meat (except fish - still have to work on that :oops: ), as many people suggest one should make. I do it other way. I have become much more aware of the impulses that my body sends me - so I tend to choose food "by instinct". I believe body always tells you what it needs (okay, one could argue on addictive types of food like cheese or coffee :? ) ... so I do my best to listen to it. That means sometimes I can eat fruit all day long and some other days I get crazy about pasta.

It works for me. :)

Hello,

If this is an advice from Lama Zopa i do follow it wit sincere trust. You might check it or leave it.  :wink:  But remember it does take time and devotion.  {..}

I am not sure if I understand.... :<

What are stories ?  :<

;-F :)

They are stories. Pushing the buttons and making my mind (over)work :D

And thank you Mavrica to you too for your reply, I think you wrote some things that I just needed (wished :wink: hoped ) to hear.

But, can I ask; how would support child's tendency for not eating meat or even quite rejecting it, with a parent, who strongly believes that meat is essencial for the healthy growth? :crunch:

I wish you both all the very best,

Pamo

how would support child's tendency for not eating meat or even quite rejecting it, with a parent, who strongly believes that meat is essencial for the healthy growth?  :crunch:  

I don't quite understand your question - do you mean "how to advise the child that being a vegetarian is good for him" or "how to persuade the concerned parent that it is okay if their child does not eat meat"? I see this as two different questions and don't clearly know which one to address.

Tashi Delek, Pamo

If this is an advice from Lama Zopa i do follow it wit sincere trust. You might check it or leave it.  :wink:  But remember it does take time and devotion.  {..}

I am not sure if I understand.... :<

It is said that one should follow a qualified teacher without the shadow of a doubt. 8)

They are stories. Pushing the buttons and making my mind (over)work :D

And this is the way we make our samsara :D

But, can I ask; how would support child's tendency for not eating meat or even quite rejecting it, with a parent, who strongly believes that meat is essencial for the healthy growth?  :crunch:

Remember any of this does not really have any true - inherent existance. 8)

All the best wishes

Jure

To answer over the few last posts:

* Lets add that, to my Dharma understanding, someone still eating fish or any other food requiring to kill an animal is not truely a vegetarian ;)

* If you eat with enough variety of vegetarian foods (either alternating, or mixing regularly), you'll not miss anything that your body needs, either adults or children.

* The absolute need of whatever vitamins not found elsewhere than in meat is pure "made-up" story from people not willing to quit meat, or from meat industry.

Thank you.

Tashi Delek dear Mavrica,

or "how to persuade the concerned parent that it is okay if their child does not eat meat"?

This one.

All the very best,

Pamo

Tashi Delek dear Jure,

It is said that one should follow a qualified teacher without the shadow of a doubt.

aha! ...but not blindly...

And this is the way we make our samsara  :D

A, yes. I know I am very rooted resident in this area. But understanding is the door to letting go. To the land of freedom. :)

Remember any of this does not really have any true - inherent existance.  8)

...as I talking to you don't...

All the very best,

Pamo

Tashi Delek dear Gigu,

The absolute need of whatever vitamins not found elsewhere than in meat is pure "made-up" story from people not willing to quit meat, or from meat industry.

....I think I need to meditate on that to see if I am able to take it as my own statement too.

All the very best,

Pamo

or "how to persuade the concerned parent that it is okay if their child does not eat meat"?

This one.

I would probably do it like this. if it were my own child, I would thoroughly discuss things with my partner so that he would see the other side of the story too. (fortunately my partner also agrees that eating or not eating meat is the thing of one's own decision so I don't expect any complications from his side). :D

if this was one of my friends ... I would certainly discuss the question with her if she would ask for my opinion. if not, I would probably not interfere but would occasionally tell her my opinion anyway :wink: If I felt she doesn't want to listen, I would not force it. this child's path leads through this very experience too. I assume that he would be born into a family which would be completely vegetarian, if he had built the right karma for that, right? he obviously did not so he has to make his own way of standing up for himself. but you can certainly be of help if asked that! :wink:

Tashi Delek dear Mavrica,

thank you for your answer. But, the more this thread is developing, the more it feels to me I am running in circles :), since it is all about being one with belief, having that believing faith in the fact; you have one. I am still with the "longing faith" :), if I can joke about that a little !:!. What else there's left for me there than to work towards it.. :arrow:

Thank you all. :*

All the very best,

Pamo

Tashi Delek,

I became vegetarian before I became Buddhist, and the more I tink about it, the less likely I am to ever go back to those unhealthy habits. Some of the reasons are based on compassion towards the animals, others are based on the concer for my well being. I will briefly tell you a few reasons why vegetarian food (preferably ecological) is better for you:

1) I have decided to stop supporting an industry that breeds animals, feeds them with whatever makes them bigger or makes them produce more milk, that transports them for many kilometres (sometimes passing through many countries) only to slaughter them as close to the consumer as possible. This was my first reason.

2) I sent a link some time ago, showing that the human being is physically very close to herbivorous animals. I need no further proof. The case is closed.

3) We are one of the rare animals unable to produce vitamin C and our ape ancestors only managed to survive this potentially delitorious genetical mutation, by eating vegetarian food, that is rich in vitamin C.

4) In ecology there is a simple equation called the rule of 10 which says, that every ring of a food chain looses a tenth of its energy. To give you an example: A cat ate a bird, that ate a caterpillar that fed on leaves. The leaves absorbed the energy from the sun and made all necessary nutrients – it is pure 100% energy. In a caterpillar we only find 10% of that energy in the bird 1% and the cat is left with 0,1%. What about pesticides and other poisons on the leaves? The caterpillar will store them in the body and its concentration will increase with every bite. The body of bird eating contaminated caterpillars will be even more poluted with pesticieds and you can imagine, that the story is even more dramatic for the poor cat. Luckily we have cat food. Moral of the story: further you are from the vegetable world, poorer is your diet and bigger is the risk of intoxication.

5) Many times people mention that we need more iron or other nutrients that are difficult to find in vegetarian food, but again, if cattle can find all the iron it needs from simple grass, so can we from some more nutritious grains and vegetables.

This forum is maybe unsuitable for what might turn up to be a leghthy discussion, but we could cover this topic at one of our pizza retreats.

Regards, Jigme

Tashi Delek, Pamo

Remember any of this does not really have any true - inherent existance.  8)

...as I talking to you don't...Pamo

Good point and many thanks to you Pamo !:! . This way of thinking might have lead me more towards nihilism. :oops: I am greatfull to you to pointing this out to me.

But, can I ask; how would support child's tendency for not eating meat or even quite rejecting it, with a parent, who strongly believes that meat is essencial for the healthy growth?  Pamo

Problematic situations do exist . Though not from their own side. We label them as problematic situation so therefore they are labeled from our own side as a "problem situation". The "problem situation" did not apear out off blank as existing on its own side. It has its causes and effects ;-} . Might have been karma or law of cause and effect that brought them both together in that difficult situation.

Due to the law off impearmanence the problem will not exists eternaly. The solution will be there when the karma of both the parent and the child or either of them will expire.

So it seems to my limited knowledge....

aha! ...but not blindly... Pamo

:D Agree once again as you said understanding is the key to liberation, !:! :)

Correct me please, dear Pamo or anyone else, that sees my deluded mind going wrong there ! :<

Many thanks and all the best

Jure

Dear Jure,

Problematic situations do exist . Though not from their own side. We label them as problematic situation so therefore they are labeled from our own side as a "problem situation".

And this is what I need to be constantly reminded of. :wink: So I am taking it to each and every level of my world. {..} Thanks.

All the very best,

Pamo

Tashi Delek Jigme,

I sent a link some time ago, showing that the human being is physically very close to herbivorous animals.

I am sorry, I missed it.

:? ..and cannot find it now :oops:

could you tell me where I can, please?

Pamo