Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
frederic

Putting animals to sleep...

Tashi Delek,

I am sorry if this topic has already been discussed, but I was wondering, as my neighbours have just put their dog to sleep after the latter had lost 10 kilos and had been diagnosed with blood cancer, is it yet better to let the animal die of natural causes and thus let it go through tremendous anguish and suffering until its heart stops beating? Or spare him the suffering by "putting it to sleep" like it is so often done?

I imagine this happening to our beloved family dog, I don't know, what would you do?

Best regards

Guest Ani.Chödrön

Tashi Delek,

I don’t remember if here on the forum or not, but as far as I remember, Rinpoche once answered this question by another question: would you put your mother or brother to sleep if (s)he was diagnosed blood cancer?

We do not know when a being is prepared for death and when not. And we do not know what is better for the being: to experience this suffering (which we try to alleviate) so that the negative karma is accomplished, or not. With our ignorance and lack of true compassion we do not have a right to decide about life and death.

Last days or weeks can be one of the most effective ways to really help a being. They say it is comparable to the early days, as the last moments are decisive for the rebirth of a being.

All the very best,

chödrön

Tashi Delek!

I am joining Ani.Chödrön’s words ;-F . When I had a cat which was dying, I put cd with mantras to her or recited them aloud :v . My purpose was to give her a positive imprint, so that in her next lives she would have a contact with Dharma. But we can do the same with animals which are not dying jet :% .

Wish you all the best!

Tchökyi! :D

Tashi Delek!

I regularly chant mantras in the presence of my dog. Most of the times she's with me when I do my practice. I've talked about it with Rinpoche several times and he recommends it because it leaves a positive imprint of the mind. Moreover, on a couple of occasions I have seen him doing the same thing to animals, including my dog, so I try to do it as well. I also took my dog to the Relic Tour. We carried her around the relics a acouple of times and Rinpoche blessed her with the Buddha Shakyamuni relic like all other visitors. I feel it is extremely important to do that for several reasons: the positive impact on the mind of the animal, the accumulation of merits and the developing of our own Bodichitta. You can read more about it in writings by Lama Zopa Rinpoche at http://www.lamayeshe.com/lamazopa/advicebo...e/animals.shtml

I can't say for sure what impact this has on my dog, because I'm not clairvoyant, but she obviously likes it and usually she willingly comes with me when I do the practice. And I can tell you for sure that she loves Rinpoche...

With best wishes,

Dechen