Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Simona

Spiritual progress behind the wall

Tashi Delek.

I would like to ask something that I can not understand, yet it is somehow connected to the spiritual progress. In which direction should I go, in the direction of self-restriction or self-discovery? Should I be spontaneous or not? Is the close mind the result of a failure of trust? If the truth is within us and all around us, why is so difficult to open oneself? Why is easier to judge the others than open oneself and expose? Do I have already so wide and deep understanding that can not be deepen or widen? Is this all? Standing in front of the wall, behind which my self is safe?

Best regards,

Simona

Tashi Delek,

I know His Holiness the Dalai Lama always emphasizes the importance of studying Buddhism, to know as much as we can about it.

We need good literature, put some effort into studying it, contemplating about it, and then many answers can come. Lama Yeshe is very practical, you might like him :maybe: Here are some of his Teachings.

Best regards :)

Tashi Delek.

Khyenrab, thank you for your reply. :) I understand there are three aspects of making the spiritual progress, among which we are switching until one of them prevail:

1. creating one`s own opinions, thoughts, ideas and keeping them for oneself in the safe place in one`s own head. Being deluded in front of imaginary deluded audience (self), which gives the feeling of some kind of being balanced and self-satisfaction. Safe.

2. exposing one`s opinions, thoughts, ideas to the other sentient beings and to run the risk of becoming unbalanced and becoming unsatisfied, cause all the thoughts and ideas are on to be checked. But, first there is a fight between our deluded audience with the other`s deluded audience. It is a risk that we would have to give up to some ideas, which are dear to ourselves and also our deluded audience to destroy. Painful.

3. If we passed the second step, giving up our deluded audience, the next step is to give up our thoughts and ideas, for which we were fighting for. When we manage to get free of own ideas, creating some "empty" spaces within ourselves, then we are ready to accept the teachings. Liberating.

When I fight with your ideas and audience, don`t take it for bad as I do not take it for bad when your ideas contradict mine. Although painful, we do a spiritual progress.

Best regards,

Simona

Tashi Delek, Simona

2. exposing one`s opinions, thoughts, ideas to the other sentient beings and to run the risk of becoming unbalanced and becoming unsatisfied, cause all the thoughts and ideas are on to be checked.

Hm, I think i understand that, why do you think I have 218 posts?? :)) I must have been a "manace" to everyone for the first 150, and still am. :D It's a good idea to spend more time to study Buddhism, and know the Buddhist terms, 'cause then you can really act smart - just kidding :D - you know better what the whole Path involves and you can then much better understand what's actually happening to you.

I don't see conversations here as a fight, more like gym ;)

Best regards,

Khyenrab

Tashi Delek everybody,

Indeed it is because we grasp at our "self" as truly existent that there are walls! :) we built them mentally. they are mere thoughts...

So we have to remember as much as we can that this self is not alone, separated from other people in the world.

Look at our body: it is covered by a tiny membrane which separate us from the air; our skin is full of tiny pores and we are breathing air which penetrate inside our lungs, which transform them and exhale vicied one... and the same for all entities on this planet!

We cannot say we are really separeted from our environment; it is a mere view of the mind!

Actually we are living in osmose with everybody and everything, living in interdependance with the same nature of space, air, earth, water, wind, sun, moon, stars, planets....

The borders are only mental drawings we have printed because of this erroneous idea of a strong, independant self. They are just dreams, delusions born from ignoring our true nature...

And where are the borders of the mind? Does somedy can say: here it begins, here it stops?

If we give up this concept of an intrinsic "I", walls fall down automatically!

There are no more dualistic concepts "me" ans the others, "I" like/ "I" don't like, "I" want/ "I" don't want...

No more attachment/ no more aversion = no more suffering.

That is the goal, that is the path!...and we are not alone: breathing, walking side by side :wink:

Don' worry, be happy! :)

ani Cheunyi

Tashi Delek dear Kyenrab,

Here is more about the "I" topic by Lama Yeshe, if anyone's interested. :)Who are you and where can you be found?

This is a wonderfull artcile. For those who have not yet had time to read it, I would just like to put a short extract in view, since there has been much talked about feelings and chaos and such recently. {-|-}

"If right now you can see that Thubten Yeshe’s a bubble, that’s excellent. It helps a lot. And if you can relate your experience of seeing me as a bubble to other concrete objects you perceive, it will help even more. If you can see the heavy objects that shake your heart and make you crazy as relative bubbles, their vibration will not overwhelm you. Your heart will stop shaking and you’ll cool down and relax."

Just for the taste :wink: because the first page of the artcile leads to here and here onwards explains even more.

All the very best,

Pamo