Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Csillag

Guru and devotion

Tashi delek, :hello:

I found a text on Guru devotion, very interesting. I wanted to share that with you all.

I wonder if I would regard my guru as Jambhala when having money problems , then by doing so would this be the right attitude ?

I mean otherwise according to the text I would not take on the inner level really refuge.

Best wishes

Csillag

from Dzogzar Khyentse Rinpoche :

In order to practice Guru Yogs, first we must learn how to see our guru as the Buddha.

In our day to day lives, even if we have a guru, we tend to look elsewhere for the solution to our problems.

On an outer level, when we are ill we take refuge in a doctor, or if it`s raining we take refuge in an umbrella.

Similarly, on an inner level, if we have money problems we may try to solve them with Jambhala practice, if we face obstacles and difficulties we may invoke the help of Mahakala, or if we lack wisdom we my pray to Manjushri.

This shows how weak our devotion is, because whatever it is we lack, we need only look to one source for help and guidance: the guru.

The first stage of Guru devotion, then, is to awaken and enhance our devotion, until it becomes sound and strong and we can actually look upon the Guru as a Buddha.

Gradually we will reach the 2nd stage, where we don`t sinmply think the Guru is the buddha, we see he is the buddha. As our devotion becomes stronger still, it is with a growing sense of joy that we begin to rely entirely on the guru for everything.

An inner confidence arises, an absolute certainity that the guru is the only source of refuge. No longer do we have to create or fabriacte our devotion, now it comes quite naturally.

Then all our experiences, good or bad, are manifestations of the guru.

Everything we experience in life becomes beneficial and has a purpose, everything we encounter becomes a teaching. Total trust and devotion for the guru is born within our heart, and the blessing of the guru is born within our heart, and the blessing of the guru dissolves into our mind.

With this, we reach the 3rd stage, which is when we realize that our mind in none other than the guru whom we have seen as the buddha. Finally we have managed to merge our mind with the guru`s mind, which takes us beyond all our ordinary habbits of exaggeration and underestimation, and frees us from all sorts of expectation and fear. Our devotion is, at least , neither created nor fabricated but a true devotion, and once having achieved it, we will have realized the ultimate goeal of all Buddhist practice.

Tashi Delek.

I think it is questionable to make a spiritual progress in order to help all sentient beings in spite of lacking the confidence in the Guru, by drawing the strength from elsewhere. The real source is the Buddha. If one can not trust the Guru, which is the Buddha, one can not trust anybody. Sometimes somethings in this samsara are presented in the nice and good-looking way and that`s why one could easily takes them as such and they become the other sources. One should look beyond. Like Quan-yin, the manifestation of the Avalokiteshvara in China. Not only that she has got thousand hands in order to help, to do something. In each hand there is an eye so that the help given shall not be blind.

Best regards,

Simona

Tashi delek :hello:

I think it is questionable to make a spiritual progress in order to help all sentient beings in spite of lacking the confidence in the Guru, by drawing the strength from elsewhere.The real source is the Buddha.

I guess like we all you will go to the doctor when you are sick, you will take an umbrella when it is raining outside.

With witch attitude and motivation you are doing so normally? this is the first question.

Second is what do you think how could you manage it that it becomes guru devotion?

With all my best wishes

Csillag

Tashi Delek,

1. Not necessarily. If I go to the doctor, when I am ill, I am thankfull to him and when I take an umbrella, I am thankfull to myself or someone else to find an umbrella, when I need it. Yet, I am not devoted to the doctor, neither to my or someone else`s umbrella, neither to myself.

2. It is like reading the words or listening the teachings. In the fact, I do not really rely upon the words, in the signification that they are arranged in a certain order one by one and upon their semantic meaning. I rely upon the »spirit« of what is written or said, cause I am able to feel what is beyond. It is much more as bare words. Same with the doctor, umbrella and all the things, cause they are just like the words. And such things get broken, get damaged, yet the »spirit« is always whole and »young«. And that is what I call a devotion.

Best regards,

Simona

Similarly, on an inner level, if we have money problems we may try to solve them with Jambhala practice, if we face obstacles and difficulties we may invoke the help of Mahakala, or if we lack wisdom we my pray to Manjushri.  

This shows how weak our devotion is, because whatever it is we lack, we need only look to one source for help and guidance: the guru.  

Thank you, Csillag, for that post. :)

Best regards,

Khyenrab