Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Simona

Crossed hands

Tashi Delek.

What does the mudra of the crossed hands mean? Cause I found out the picture of the Vajrasattva with the crossed hands and it is right hand across the left one. The same posture of the hands as Tutankamon had. And why on some pictures Vajrasattva is together with his consort, and on the others he is pictured alone?

Best regards,

Simona

Guest Ani.Chödrön

Tashi Delek,

just a small clarification.

the picture of Vajrasattva with the crossed hand

Probably you saw it in the Slovene edition of How to Meditate? There is a mistake in print - instead of a picture of the Vajrasattva, who has a vajra in one hand and bell in another, with different position of hands - they have printed a picture of Vajradhara, with two dorjes and hands crossed, resembling a double dorje.

And why on some pictures Vajrasattva is together with his consort, and on the others he is pictured alone?

One image belongs to the highest Tatric practices, another to usual needs in visualisation. But the union of Method and Wisdom, what the couple represents, is intrinsic to a Buddha mind in any case, no matter how it is depicted.

Best regards,

chödrön

Tashi Delek.

The picture of Vajrasattva with crossed hands and with a consort I saw on the

http://www.entactogen.com/gallery/art/vajr...asattva_big.jpg

I do not know, if this source is reliable or not, it is the source which is accessible to all the people. That`s why I am kindly asking someone of the moderators to comment it. Yet, the question is what does the mudra of crossed hands mean, cause it can be seen also on the pictures and statues from the ancient Egypt.

Best regards,

Simona

Actually, pictures of Buddhas with consorts are belonging to the highest Tantra, and shall not be displayed to public which could misunterprate them.

Such painting represent symbols, symbolic union, mudras, etc. Some people use them to spread idea that Tantra is a kind of "sexually oriented path" (like the actual Pope, Benedict XVI).

Thank you to do not point any further link to such pictures on our forum. Or only in the forum dedicated for highest Tantras.

Thank you.

Good evening! :)

I was wondering, what is the "healing" power of such representations? Just by looking at them, can we be freed from some negative karma? For dedicated practicioners in previous lives who might not even be aware of it in this life, can just seeing those cause them to have realizations? Is it a sign of merit to be able to watch these pictures with some knowledge of their meaning? Can this merit thus be dedicated to all sentient beings? I'm not talking about practicing the visualisations and the corresponding rituals, which of course create merit... But just seeing those... :maybe:

Best regards :wink:

P.S.: I find particularly inspiring and gorgeous this particular representation.

Tashi Delek,

The crossing of the hands is, in the Tantra, the symbolism of Unification of Method and Wisdom.

To reach full Enlightenment, one needs to have 'accumulated' enough Merits (through practice of Method) and Wisdom (realizing Emptiness).

The Method is related with Merits accumulation, and the most through realization and practice of Bodhicitta, the 'Awakening Mind', or Ultimate Compassion.

All the best, Gelong T. Shenphen

Tashi Delek, Lama Shenphen Rinpoche.

Thank You for the answer. {|:)

I have no further questions regarding crossed hands.

Best regards,

Simona