Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ani.Chödrön

Vajrasattva

Guest Ani.Chödrön

Tashi Delek,

someone told me recently that one can practice the Vajrasattva mantra instead of doing any practices which one should do due to the previously taken initiations and transmissions. So, it was not said that the Vajrasattva mantra is recited because one has created negative karma by not keeping the vows and commitments, but instead of doing the other practices - including the Maha Anuttara Yoga Tantra practices. The explanation was, that this is possible because the Vajrasattva Buddha contains within Himself all the 100 peaceful and wrathful deities, so through the Vajrasattva practice, all the 100 Buddhas are practiced at once.

I see vows and commitments as something sacred. As i understand the Texts and the Masters, keeping them pure is a condition to realisations. The great Tsongkhapa said:

“... The cause that gives me both the attainments

is keeping my pledges and vows most pure.

Grant me then to always keep them

Even if it costs my life.â€

(Je Tsongkhapa, the Source of All My Good, the 11th stanza)

On the other hand: why should anyone take any initiation if one already contains all? Can our minds really develop all our potentials by practicing just one practice (or even only mantras) regulary?

And from the 3rd point of view: I'm worried for the consequences of such practitioners and the persons who might follow their advices. :(

All the very best,

chödrön

Tashi delek,

someone told me recently that one can practice the Vajrasattva mantra instead of doing any practices which one should do due to the previously taken initiations and transmissions.

Prophecies were made by Padmasambhava that Dharma instruction will be distorded, misused, and will die.

That someone should contact and discuss the matter with his/her root Teacher or a qualified Master, because I'm afraid negative karma are being accumulated. Following such bebelieves, that person might have damaged or broken her own samayas. And hopefully, she didn't confused other people.

I see vows and commitments as something sacred.

More than the pupil of your eye!

I’m worried for the consequences of such practitioners and the persons who might follow their advices.

If you meet again this person, you might let her know that she might be mistaken, and should talk quickly with her Lama.

We cannot unterprate things as we like. All is extremely clearly written and explained in Texts.

All the very best, Gelong T. Shenphen

Tashi Delek,

Talking about purification. When one does purification practice it is said one should meditate about negative actions. Is it so that negative actions have to po outpointed and clarified somehow or just in general generate regret of negative actions.

Is it so that one needs to purify same negative actions over and over again generating feelings of regret over the same action.

Best wishes

Jure

someone told me recently that one can practice the Vajrasattva mantra instead of doing any practices which one should do due to the previously taken initiations and transmissions.

this reminds me of when we were talking about Dorje Sempa on the seminar. is this the same situation?

I also do the Vajrasattva practice every evening, but I wonder - am I even allowed to do that since I have not taken refuge yet nor the Vajrasattva initiation?? do I create negative karma because of that?? :?

to Jure:

I don't know if I am doing this correct and if it is of help to you, but my way of the purification practise of negative actions refers only to the day that has passed, not to negative actions in general.

I have to admit it always makes me sad to see that I am doing some things over and over again ... :cry: ... as if I didn't learn anything from them ... so then I see it turns out that these negative actions are quite similar, so to say, "general" ... :roll:

Tashi delek,

I also do the Vajrasattva practice every evening, but I wonder - am I even allowed to do that since I have not taken refuge yet nor the Vajrasattva initiation?? do I create negative karma because of that??

If you hold Bodhicitta motivation and high sense of Refuge in the Three Jewels while reciting the Vajrasattva, it is ok.

Though, receiving Vajrasattva initiation would strenghten your pratice and allow you to follow the whole sadhana.

I don't know if I am doing this correct and if it is of help to you, but my way of the purification practise of negative actions refers only to the day that has passed, not to negative actions in general.

One can regret specific negative actions, as well as "in general", since we are creating lot of negativities sometime not being aware of, and we have been creating some in past lives (that we do not remember).

---

Refering to the first post: So far, by the strength of the Tradition, instructions have been correctly and very well transmitted since 2600 years. Nowadays, specially in our western countries, our ego leads several individual to believe they have "special power", "special connection with one or an other Buddha", living sometime in their complete world but calling this 'Buddhism'!

It is not rare to meet people claiming to be "special", having understood everything, and giving themselves habilities to teach or transmit instructions. This is a clear degenerescence.

Sometime, we meet people, lay practitionners, relative beginners, who dare to give advises to ordained monks or nuns, longuer practitioners than them! Because they believe to be "superior", following a "higher path", etc...

Some other time, some persons are talking with "mysterious words" ie. "I know things, but I can't tell you. You will know when you will be at my level" (saying this looking at you down), etc... This is contradictory with the Path, which aim at taming our ego, not inflating it.

Even if in Tantra we do favor a type of "Divine pride", for the sake of the practice, it shall not be mistaken with mundane pride and ego trip.

One cannot believe being able to walk the Path alone, following any kind of inner, illusory, and deluded voice.... The Path to Enlightenment has been described in length by Buddhas and Bodhisattvas, and shall be followed as prescribed by Holy Masters.

We do need guidance from a qualified Master, on a constant basis. And not just once a year visiting Teacher, books, and advises from non-qualified people.

All the best, Gelong T. Shenphen

Tashi Delek,

One can regret specific negative actions, as well as "in general", since we are creating lot of negativities sometime not being aware of, and we have been creating some in past lives (that we do not remember).

---

So do we purify just broken vows or do we also generate regrets of attachment towards plesurable senses....

Best wishes

Jure

Thank You, dear Lama Shenphen. I will take this into consideration and practice. l-)

Guest Ani.Chödrön

Tashi Delek,

So do we purify just broken vows or do we also generate regrets of attachment towards plesurable senses....

both, because both hinder us on our path and endanger reaching our Goal.

All the best,

chödrön

Tashi delek,

You do purify the consequences of broken vows, committments, and in general all negative actions, according to their heaviness and according to your dedication to the practice of Vajrasattva.

Note that "purifying" doesn't mean "restoring".

If you broke one of the four main Pratimoksa vows (monk/nun), it can't be restored. There are other vows you'll just have to bear the consequences. And some others who are restored by confession.

Bodhisattva vows are restored by taking then again and/or going through the purification practice. Tantric vows are restored by taking again an Initiation of the fourth Tantric class, or performing a self-initiation (requiering to have successfully completed the retreat).

All the best, Gelong T. Shenphen