Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dechen

Early morning hours

During the last Question and Answer session, Rinpoche mentioned that early morning hours around 4 o'clock in the morning was a special time because somethine like a gap in energies occurs at that time. I've known before that this time of the night/day was special and that in some traditions it is even considered sacred, but I would like to know more about what happens at that time, particularly since for the last year or so I often wake up at between three and four in the morning without any specific reason. I would appreaciate it if Rinpoche or anybody else could tell me more about it.

Taši delek,

particularly since for the last year or so I often wake up at between three and four in the morning without any specific reason.

Waking up around three or four o'clock morning can also be connected with something else: the "biological clock of certain organs". Around the clock, some organs are more active, some more passive. Accordingly, if there is any umbalance in these functions, one might wake-up, or sweat too much, or...

All the best, Gelong T. Shenphen

Tashi Delek!

Thank you for the explanation! Can you say more about what is happening with energies in the early morning? I know that in Hindu tradition this is considered the most auspicious time for spiritual practice...

Best wishes,

Dechen

Tashi Delek.

Are the unbalanced functions, could we say disfunctions of different organs of great risk to beginning some of the diseases? And of which value is someone`s "the inner feeling" about something is going differently as usual and that something is "wrong" with the body?

I think that everyone just knows when one crosses own limits, i. e. exaggerates and that there is a possibility to mistakenly thinking that crossing the limits of the body means to mastering the body.

When exaggerating, I think that is of great risk when one overcomes the limits, a feeling of effortlessness which appears, like that things running in blank. If so, the limits could get rubed out, and then?

Best regards,

Simona

Tashi Delek.

I hope I found one of the explantions of waking up in early hours, with the help of the book I read far long ago (Healing with form, energy and light, Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche). In Tibetan culture, the five elements (earth, water, fire, air, space) are considered to be substance of all things and processes. Each element contains the others and they also work with and against each other. The balance of the elements is dynamic and changes, so that individuals can be dominant or deficient in one or more of the elements.

Particular elements are strongest during particular periods of the day and night:

space: from dawn to sunrise,

fire: from sunrise to midmorning,

earth: from midmorning to midday,

air: from midday to sunset,

water: from sunset until all stars are visible in the night sky.

It could be possible that waking in the early hours means unbalanced element of space in such extent, that became bothering. We usually identify with our external situations: our jobs, relationships, interests, bodies...this is identifying with the contents of space. Unbalanced space means that a person is too much focused on the contents of space (being completely caught by different experiences) or too little (a kind of superficial connection to life, contents of the space are experienced as distant, not important).

Best regards,

Simona

Tashi Delek!

Thank you for the explanation, although the last passage doesn't make much sense to me. It sounds like preocupation with everyday life, like work, relationships, worries, etc. But usually this doesn't affect me/us in the early morning hours. It rather prevents me/us from falling asleep in the first place during the first part of the night/evening, so I don't think this is the reason for waking up early in the morning, particularly since my mind at that time is very calm and alert in the positive sense of the word - just perfect for spiritual practice!

Best wishes,

Ljubica

Tashi Delek!

Thank you for the explanation, although the last passage doesn't make much sense to me. It sounds like preocupation with everyday life, like work, relationships, worries, etc. But usually this doesn't affect me/us in the early morning hours. It rather prevents me/us from falling asleep in the first place during the first part of the night/evening, so I don't think this is the reason for waking up early in the morning, particularly since my mind at that time is very calm and alert in the positive sense of the word - just perfect for spiritual practice!

Best wishes,

Ljubica

Wof, if I were in your shoes, I would practise or recite some mantra, perhaps that is also the way to get to sleep again...

All the best! :)zzz

Hihihi! It sounds as if I'm a terrible insomniac.... Well, it's not that bad. I don't have sleeping problems. I just wanted to know about why the early morning hours were special and the topic turned into a diagnostic centre for insomnia...

But I agree with you, mantras can put you to sleep, although in most cases this is an unfortunate effect...

Best wishes,

Dechen