Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mavrica

cords between people

Tashi Delek.

I read somewhere that "in every relationship, people are constantly exchanging energy that can become a cord connecting two people. This energetic cord forms just below the breastbone and can remain long after a relationship has ended. This unbroken cord may leave an open channel between you and another person, through which emotions and energy can continue to flow. If you are unaware that the cord exists, it is easy to feel the other person's emotions and mistakenly think that they are yours. Besides the fact that this can limit the amount of closure you can experience in a relationship, letting this cord remain intact can leave you with a continued sense of sadness while creating feelings of lethargy as your own energy is sapped from you. Cutting the cord can help you separate yourself from old baggage, unnecessary attachments, and release you from connections that are no longer serving you."

This is not taken from any Buddhist text, so I wonder what Buddhism says about it. I often had the feeling of connection with some people on "energy level", just like when I was connected to my mother with umbilical cord. Could it be said that these are "karmic cords" that connect people?

best regards.

Guest Ani.Chödrön

Tashi Delek,

according to Buddhism we have karmic connections not only with a handful of people that we identify our lives with, but with all the beings, perceivable or not. So Buddhist sense of familiarity and responsibility is broad and this wideness is developed further with Lobjong practices, such as 6 causes for 1 effect or tonglen. {|:)

Nevertheless, some connections are stronger, or more actual, then the others. We can use them as a springboard for care about all the beings. No need to cut a connection in order to be free. :roll: What frees us is our effort to diminish attachments / aversions, to develop awareness about how phenomena exist etc. l-)

It is true that we are not as separated from our surrounding as we usually think we are; we are connected to every being and every phenomena that we perceive, we have perceived and that we will perceive; but we don’t need cords for it. :DD

Indeed, when we invest a lot of time and energy into something, be it relationship or meditation or nonsense activity, we shape our karma and determine its intensity. So it’s not unimportant how diligently we approach our practice or how much time we spend on idle talk, for example. {..}

All the best,

chödrön

Tashi Delek.

I would say that each human being experiences different relationships. We can talk about physical dependency (child in a mother`s womb), then about the emotional dependency (usual love). And what is written above it is about the emotional relationships, for which strong connections are specific, and this is indeed a kind of a tie. But, we all know that emotions are like a swing. Once one find oneself on a positive side, the next time on the negative side of the oscillation. When such a relationship ends, and as it is written, usually happens when one finds out that such a relationship does not serves one anymore, the other party is left with theirs emotions still running (a continued sense of sadness,...). Usually, we engage such emotional relationships to benefit to satisfy our own ego. The Buddhist engage in the relationships would be, as I understand, not to checking all the time, if one connection serves me or not, yet, it is about what can I do for the others, being friends, not friends or neutral. When one eliminate own emotions to the minimum, one can see clearly who is in real need and who is not. Cause sometimes people do a lot of noise around just to get some attention and it is also a sigh that they have got still some life strenght. There are also people who suffer in silence, don`t show much around. Well, this last I was thought by the children. Many times happened that when a child just cut a finger and some little blood is there, he would cry and scream. And there was a case when a girl lost her parents in the car accident and was badly injured, she suffered in silent. No cry, no scream. So, try to get rid of the emotions in order to be able to recognize who is in real need.

Best regards,

Simona